Bills play Catan

1 minute ago, saundena said:

I tend to collect too, but which drives my wife crazy.  Gloomhaven is terrific, but it's a 4+ hour commitment with our group- chatty wives + booze.  I will buy Frosthaven, but want to beat Gloom first.  I'll also say that the token organizers and 3rd party dashboards, counters, standee's etc make the game so much better from an organization standpoint.

Betrayal is good, never played Dead of Winter.  Over the years, we've also played a lot of Talisman, Pandemic and Dominion.

I was going to say, if they really want to play something like Catan, but more topical, it would be Pandemic.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

I was going to say, if they really want to play something like Catan, but more topical, it would be Pandemic.

Early on during the REAL pandemic (March 2020 I believe), my friends and I decided to play Pandemic virtually.  It took 3x as long since we had to basically have one person controlling the deck for everybody, not to mention constantly adjusting the camera so everybody could clearly see the game board.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

We started our kids on Catan when the older was 9 and the younger was 5.  There's a couple things you can do to simplify the rules, but they got it quick.  They're 22 and 17 now and we still play!

Thats a great idea.  My two oldest are 15 and 10 so I am sure they could adjust.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive intrigued by this game for soooooo long.  Is it any good?  I have almost  Bought it like 10 times and never did, but I love strategy games

Fixed*** lmaooo

Like anything in life some people like it and some don't

If you're into strategy games then I would give it a shot

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive intrigued by this game for soooooo long.  Is it any good?  I have almost just boughten it like 10 times and never did, but I love strategy games

We enjoy it. 

It belongs to the class my friend Ted refers to as "weasel games".  Initially you cooperate with other players by trading resources..."have sheep, want wood...anyone trade wood for my sheep?"  You trade with them so that they'll trade with you.  But eventually you realize Nope! they're pulling ahead!  So you not only stop trading, you use all the tools the game provides to cut them down.

There's a free online version called "Colonists" but I'm not sure how much sense it would make if you hadn't played the board game

https://colonist.io/

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive intrigued by this game for soooooo long.  Is it any good?  I have almost just bought it like 10 times and never did, but I love strategy games

There's a free app to download and play against others, or against computer.  Good way to learn.  It's a 3-player version, typically I've played with 4 ppl.

But yes, it's the exact type of game to play if you like a mix of strategy and luck (dice rolls).  

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But these guys are all ultra-competitive and I think Pandemic is cooparative....

There’s defenders of the realm which is by the same maker as pandemic but is much more difficult. Pretty good challenge just to beat it (I’m batting less than .500). 

A game that plays well into 'screw your neighbor'.

Short form, you build cities, and roads because your cities can't be too close.  You try to build on different tiles to get different resources.  And screw other players by getting to sweet spots and slapping down a city before they can, seeing the pain and misery on their faces over the time and resources they wasted on roads and...*ahem*...anyway...

Also, Catan Jr. is a wonderful game for kids.  It's a streamlined (not dummed down) version of the original game...with pirates!

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

You must be REALLY old if you think board games are the hip new thing keeping kids from going outside.  Are you using a carrier pigeon service to make these posts?

Someone's never played D&D...

What's wrong with D&D anyways?

My old neighbor trains and sells pigeons. He gets thousands for them. I think he sells them to drug dealers and they deliver contraband to other states. Something shady going on. Big money for pigeons.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We enjoy it. 

It belongs to the class my friend Ted refers to as "weasel games".  Initially you cooperate with other players by trading resources..."have sheep, want wood...anyone trade wood for my sheep?"  You trade with them so that they'll trade with you.  But eventually you realize Nope! they're pulling ahead!  So you not only stop trading, you use all the tools the game provides to cut them down.

There's a free online version called "Colonists" but I'm not sure how much sense it would make if you hadn't played the board game

https://colonist.io/

Among other things, I’m a long time Diplomacy player, and that’s a game built upon screwing people over after allying with them. It is truly brutal with the right players.

This is actually a VERY good sign for the team (and not surprising).

I am someone who loves designer games, however they are only really enjoyable with the right people.  There are games that I love, but would never play with certain family members.  The fact that parts of the team play together regularly means that they really do get along and like each other.  

Catan is merely an okay game.  Absolutely ground breaking for its day.  It opened the way for even better games - Everdell, Wingspan, Isle of Cats, Lost Ruins of Arnak, Terraforming Mars, Clank, Caverna, Bunny Kingdom, 7 Wonders....I could go on.  And, no, I am not making up those game names.  😀

• Agree 1