Which of the 1st round QBs do you think will bust, and which will be great?

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Usually going into their 4th season, you know how the 1st round QBs are shaking out.  The 2018 draft was a strange one.  Josh Rosen flamed out faster than any other 1st round QB that I can remember.  Darnold has been in such a bad situation I have no idea if he's a bust or if he has a future.  The Jets offensive talent last year was as bad as the 2018 Bills.  

Speaking of the 18 draft, this never fails to make me laugh, hearing Rosen say he's coming for Brady's SB record. The guy does have a very punchable face

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t think Trubisky is going anywhere with Daboll. And didn’t Daboll turn down the Jets already? I’m still sticking to the possibility that he goes to Miami and coaches Tua because of their Alabama connection. 

He won't go to Miami. Flores is doing a good job. If Daboll leaves the Bills it will for a HC opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

History hasn't been kind to Ohio State and Alabama QB's and I don't see that trend changing w/ these guys. There is something about Wilson that I don't trust. I see Lawrence being good out of the gate and Lance taking some time to develop.  

Fields has a better skill set than most recent Ohio State QBs and has 22 career starts.  I'm just not sold on Lawrence and I have no idea why.  I'm a stats guys and his numbers got better every year.  Maybe it is the Clemson offense style that makes me worry he can be great in the NFL.  He obviously has the size and arm strength.  He has dead eyes and a blank stare most of the time.  

Wilson is looking like a bust and Mac Jones doesn't have the arm to play in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

I think Wilson would have stood a chance at developing into a nice player if the Jets had given him a veteran QB presence to sit behind and learn from.  Now, I'm not so sure.

I like Lance to be the biggest positive surprise of the class.  

Lawrence should be good too.  I think he'll have an Andrew Luck type of impact.

1 hour ago, Craig Oi said:

History hasn't been kind to Ohio State and Alabama QB's and I don't see that trend changing w/ these guys. There is something about Wilson that I don't trust. I see Lawrence being good out of the gate and Lance taking some time to develop.  

Ken stabler and Namath say hi 

How many colleges have two quarterbacks of that caliber? How many Tennessee quarterbacks are good before Peyton Manning?

Zack Wilson has a ton of upside, but he landed with a terrible organization.  And for that, I think he has the most bust potential because I have zero confidence in the Jets ability to properly develop and build around a young QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

"Darnold 2.0," said one official. 😅 I feel like these reporters just make **** up. There's NO way someone would leak that even if they really felt that way. 

That would be awesome. First, Tannehill for the Fins and hopefully Darnold in Carolina. Life is good. 

Funny thing is, Tannehill would put Miami over the top w/ that defense and I'm sure they would give a first round pick to have him back.

Well I disagree. If the official was on the lance or fields train then they will speak up. Guys in this business want to be right above all else. Look at some of the garbage about Allen last year when he was lighting it up. All the haters wanted to focus on was the middle of the season when he struggled. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

He won't go to Miami. Flores is doing a good job. If Daboll leaves the Bills it will for a HC opportunity.

Flores is a question mark, you can’t deny the team shut down on him last year in week 17. That was a reflection on him, that team wasn’t prepared or disciplined going into that game. Although Buffalo is a overall better team obviously talent wise and coaching wise, but for your team to lay down like that and cost you a playoff spot is not a good image for him moving forward. I think he gets this year and if they still don’t make the playoffs don’t be surprised if Miami starts courting Daboll especially because of his Alabama background

I’m not sure I see any of this rookie class as being great. I think we know from our suffering what a huge deal it is for guys to be in the right situation. 
Lance probably comes out as the most successful if he wins that job just because they have such a strong run game and defense. 
Poor Fields in Chicago might have the worst setup, Lawrence is hyped as great but I can’t have any hope with that coach and teams track record, loved the Saleh hire in jersey but it’s jersey.. Can’t see Wilson having much success in this division. Definitely need to get the season started lol 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

How many colleges have two quarterbacks of that caliber? How many Tennessee quarterbacks are good before Peyton Manning?

Or Wyoming.

Generally speaking though, big programs like Alabama and OSU produce very few decent QBs, let alone great ones. Too many star players around them and when they get to the NFL, they no longer have that edge and it’s not so easy anymore.

Obviously you can’t rule out X player because he went to X school. If we did that, we wouldn’t have Allen, but the difference is, Allen stood out as a man amongst boys on a very weak roster. Burrow, Hurts, Jones and Tua etc were literally just cogs in the machine.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Or Wyoming.

Generally speaking though, big programs like Alabama and OSU produce very few decent QBs, let alone great ones. Too many star players around them and when they get to the NFL, they no longer have that edge and it’s not so easy anymore.

Obviously you can’t rule out X player because he went to X school. If we did that, we wouldn’t have Allen, but the difference is, Allen stood out as a man amongst boys on a very weak roster. Burrow, Hurts, Jones and Tua etc were literally just cogs in the machine.

Realistically it all comes down to the player himself

There's not many colleges that have a laundry list of super successful quarterbacks

It all boils down to the individual

Maybe Ohio State hasn't produced great quarterbacks for 50 years because they like running quarterbacks as opposed to guys who will have NFL careers.. but they're even starting to recruit passers

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically it all comes down to the player himself

There's not many colleges that have a laundry list of super successful quarterbacks

It all boils down to the individual

Maybe Ohio State hasn't produced great quarterbacks for 50 years because they like running quarterbacks as opposed to guys who will have NFL careers.. but they're even starting to recruit passers

Once again, I think it’s because of the level of difficulty that they face. QBs like Allen, Rodgers, Mahomes and Prescott were essentially thrown into the fire as college QBs, so when they went to the NFL, it almost made things easier in some ways because the talent differential equalized. It’s much different when you have Nick Saban as your HC and your fed baby food throughout your career. By the time they get to the NFL they still can’t handle solid food.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Once again, I think it’s because of the level of difficulty that they face. QBs like Allen, Rodgers, Mahomes and Prescott were essentially thrown into the fire as college QBs, so when they went to the NFL, it almost made things easier in some ways because the talent differential equalized. It’s much different when you have Nick Saban as your HC and your fed baby food throughout your career. By the time they get to the NFL they still can’t handle solid food.

Quinn Ewers is at Ohio State right now and he's going to be a stud in the NFL 

Again at the college level it's all about winning now.. it's not about throwing an NFL route tree , and hanging in the pocket too long

The majority of all high-level programs prefer athletes to pure quarterbacks.. because it helps them win football games in college 

Texas tech has had the most QB friendly system for a decade in college football...  Every QB there has out up stats for a decade.. they just finally got guys like baker and Mahomes who had the arm to go with accuracy   

The overall team may be lacking but TTech has fielded a passing offense for over a decade... They finally hit the jackpot 

Most of the top QB recruits in the country are runners or dual threats with not much NFL future... It doesn't deter schools like Ohio state and Alabama from recruiting them to win in college.. they don't need a Peyton Manning... But they will recruit a pocket passer with NFL future if they can.. ala ewers at Ohio State

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Flores is a question mark, you can’t deny the team shut down on him last year in week 17. That was a reflection on him, that team wasn’t prepared or disciplined going into that game. Although Buffalo is a overall better team obviously talent wise and coaching wise, but for your team to lay down like that and cost you a playoff spot is not a good image for him moving forward. I think he gets this year and if they still don’t make the playoffs don’t be surprised if Miami starts courting Daboll especially because of his Alabama background

Their players are acting like many fans were during drought - they were saying it was better for draft position to be better than record when result is same.

Many of their players had little confidence in Tua and with Fitzpatrick out for season there was no one to inspire a comeback.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

During the NFL season I sit next to an Alabama fan and he always goes back to those two as examples of why Alabama produces good QBs. But then we need to look at more recent failures to see why the stigma is rightly attached to Mac that he is most likely going to bust:

- Tua - Jury out, but there were some warning signs last year that he isn't the long term solution for the Fins

- Jalen Hurts

- AJ McCarron

- Greg McElroy

- Brodie Croyle 

- Jay Barker

- Mike Shula

- Jeff Rutledge

- Richard Todd

Not exactly a list of world beaters. 

Then we get to Ohio State, and man is that list of comedy of errors:

- Tom Tupa

- Kent Graham

- Bobby Hoying

- Joe Germaine

- Craig Krenzel

- Troy Smith

- Terrell Pryor

- Cardale Joes

- Dwayne Haskins

Lawrence is future 1st ballot HoFer

52 minutes ago, Klaus said:

During the NFL season I sit next to an Alabama fan and he always goes back to those two as examples of why Alabama produces good QBs. But then we need to look at more recent failures to see why the stigma is rightly attached to Mac that he is most likely going to bust:

- Tua - Jury out, but there were some warning signs last year that he isn't the long term solution for the Fins

- Jalen Hurts

- AJ McCarron

- Greg McElroy

- Brodie Croyle 

- Jay Barker

- Mike Shula

- Jeff Rutledge

- Richard Todd

Not exactly a list of world beaters. 

Then we get to Ohio State, and man is that list of comedy of errors:

- Tom Tupa

- Kent Graham

- Bobby Hoying

- Joe Germaine

- Craig Krenzel

- Troy Smith

- Terrell Pryor

- Cardale Joes

- Dwayne Haskins

How dare you...Tupa was a phenom!

At punting:wub:

• Vomit 1

22 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I could see Darnold having a good year in Carolina, if that happens and if Wilson sucks the Jets boards are going to be a rich source of entertainment all year

Not to fret, I’m quite sure Jimmy Spags will figure out a way to tell us such news is a Jets win-win! 

You don’t want to say Wilson like everyone else has but Lance is in the perfect environment to groom a young QB…If Fields is just ok that’s good enough for Chicago…Lawrence is a once in 5 years talent…Wilson showed absolutely nothing at BYU that even said NFL QB he was an ESPN hype machine deal they do this every year with a couple guys for ratings 

17 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Or Wyoming.

I think it's pretty funny saying college XXXX doesn't produce QBs.  Before Josh there were 3 Wyoming QBs drafted in the NFL draft.  The 1st 2 were Jim Walker taken in the 16th round of 1960 and played in the CFL, never in the NFL, and Rick Egloff taken in the 6th round by the Raiders in 1967, never played, got traded to Denver a year later, never played & his only professional career was a year in the CFL.  The only other QB out of Wyoming was Casey Bramlet taken in the 7th round by the Bengals in 2004 and had a journeyman backup career for a few years in the NFL.  

You never know where the next great QB is going to come from.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.