Which of the 1st round QBs do you think will bust, and which will be great?

I'm always fascinated by the first round QBs every year, all the debates around them, their weaknesses and strengths etc. Out of all the positions in football, there's no other that inspires so many arguments and strong opinions.

As someone who doesn't follow college ball, I'm interested to know what people think of this year's crop, which you see as being busts, which you see as being average with a sort of career back-up future, and which you see as being great.

I'm trying to watch the tape of them at the moment but I've only seen Wilson so far. My lack of game study has really shown through because one second I think he's going to be a great player down the line, then other times it dawns on me that so many of his games look like practice sessions where he has all day to scan the field and his receivers are wide open.

But all in all there's something about the kid that makes me think he's going to succeed. Not just his abilities but his attitude and self belief.

How do you guys see the class of 2021 turning out when it's all said and done? These things are always fun to revisit after three or four years. We have some real college experts here so I'm really interested to hear your opinions (I swear I'm not gathering info for any sort of bet...)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll put this here, since you mention Wilson

I know, I've been following his 'struggles' a lot this week. It's funny seeing Jets fans getting their panties in a twist about it. The rookie struggles don't sway my thinking too much, it's to be expected, but this sort of stuff does make me even more intrigued about the upcoming season 

• Agree 4

Just now, LeviF said:

Jets dumped Sam Darnold to draft Mormon Sam Darnold.

Life is good.

I could see Darnold having a good year in Carolina, if that happens and if Wilson sucks the Jets boards are going to be a rich source of entertainment all year

• Like (+1) 9
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm always fascinated by the first round QBs every year, all the debates around them, their weaknesses and strengths etc. Out of all the positions in football, there's no other that inspires so many arguments and strong opinions.

As someone who doesn't follow college ball, I'm interested to know what people think of this year's crop, which you see as being busts, which you see as being average with a sort of career back-up future, and which you see as being great.

I'm trying to watch the tape of them at the moment but I've only seen Wilson so far. My lack of game study has really shown through because one second I think he's going to be a great player down the line, then other times it dawns on me that so many of his games look like practice sessions where he has all day to scan the field and his receivers are wide open.

But all in all there's something about the kid that makes me think he's going to succeed. Not just his abilities but his attitude and self belief.

How do you guys see the class of 2021 turning out when it's all said and done? These things are always fun to revisit after three or four years. We have some real college experts here so I'm really interested to hear your opinions (I swear I'm not gathering info for any sort of bet...)

The QB I'm most terrified of is Zach Wilson bc he's in the division. He's got a lil bit of the Allen/Favre/Fitz gunslinger traits in him. I hate the term, but he's a "gamer."

I've got a lot of crap on this board, but another guy I slightly worry about is Mac Jones. He posted the best completion percentage in FBS history (from what I read) and not that THAT means anything as we all know, but if u watched him u know he's deadly accurate. Yes, he had the best talent around him. So did Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. Did he make every throw he was supposed to make? Yes. The guys a national champion and Heisman runner up. He's got the height, accuracy, and pocket awareness. I don't think he'll be anywhere near GREAT, but he will be good in the mold of Kirk Cousins w/ a big reason being his coach. Go ahead and flame me, I'm ready! 😚

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll put this here, since you mention Wilson

"Darnold 2.0," said one official. 😅 I feel like these reporters just make **** up. There's NO way someone would leak that even if they really felt that way. 

21 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I could see Darnold having a good year in Carolina, if that happens and if Wilson sucks the Jets boards are going to be a rich source of entertainment all year

That would be awesome. First, Tannehill for the Fins and hopefully Darnold in Carolina. Life is good. 

Funny thing is, Tannehill would put Miami over the top w/ that defense and I'm sure they would give a first round pick to have him back.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@YoloinOhio pointed out that I fell for a well-done parody account.  I'll try to check myself next time.

It probably isn't even a parody account. Journalists are just lazy & want to stir **** up nowadays so they make up quotes they get from their made up "sources." 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It probably isn't even a parody account. Journalists are just lazy & want to stir **** up nowadays so they make up quotes they get from their made up "sources." 

The latter may or may not be true - personally, I think legitimate journalists who verify sources take a lot of undeserved Crap nowadays.  And I think journalists don't "make up quotes" though they are sometimes lazy and rely on another journalist's speculative "Tweet" as their source. 

But yes, upon further review Wesley Steinberg is 100% a parody account.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As soon as I saw Wilson look Oompa Loompa-sized next to his fellow draftees I had my doubts there. Plus he just doesn’t seem the part to me. 

Lawrence seems too obvious for success, so I’ll say I really like the situation Lance ended up in. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
too not to

I think Wilson could have been a good QB, but he went to the Jets. So his only hope now is to catch on with another team after he isn't resigned or is traded.

They are already setting him up to fail by expecting him to be the day 1 starter. They should have brought in a veteran to start the season while he gets up to speed. It's going to be a bloodbath and then everyone will lose faith in him even though it is THEIR fault he is failing.

Just now, Warcodered said:

Those are the two I've got the best feeling about. Mac Jones feels like a typical Alabama QB.

Yeah, he's gonna be Matt Cassel-level for the Pats, which will be fine for stretches, but poor for the most part.

JMO obviously.

• Like (+1) 1