Colin Cowherd on Allen...

cage

Easy to say all that stuff making an obscene amount of money to be a fool on the radio.

TBH if I had the 6'5 body of Thor....i might have had more faith in myself too.  There's a lot of corpses of people who failed to get to the top of the 250 million dollar glitch in the matrix Allen mountain.  America is an amazing country; but taking a lesson from Allen's path is pretty hard to do. The reality is America will let you thrive if you're something special and lucky. It will also eat you alive lol. 

The biggest lie the rich ever sold us is that we all have a chance. 

Sports aren't a way out for 99.99% of us. The perseverance and luck part apply universally though. 

Regardless looking forward to the improbability Allen winning the improbable super bowl for the Bills this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just a small thing to bear in mind is while Josh truly worked his ass off, he grew up in a really really good situation too. While he had to work hard on the farm, I would argue blessed to have the opportunity to work hard, he had an incredible family. Super sports-oriented. That’s worth its weight in gold. Plus his fam has money. They have a lot of acres of some of the choicest farmland in the country- maybe the world. 

everything Collin said was true, but josh is not quite the underdog that some think. But yes, hard work trumps all! 

Edited by LanderPoke

5 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

No, but they pay more than that for F1 race car drivers and star soccer players. So, you might want to rethink that attitude.

God I'm glad I live in America.

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

500K is tops in the CFL and you need league approval to hand that out ;)

Which is like 400k American.

8 hours ago, UConn James said:

There are quite a few countries where they pay that and more for football ️ players.

Cowherd’s message here is a refreshing break from the onslaught of Equality™️ that endlessly spews from the media and politicians.

I got it.  America, "**** yeah."  The title was just funny to me.  It's "soccer" by the way.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

No but there are countries that pay soccer stars $148.5 million a year to play striker(Messi's last contract with Barcelona...$594 million over 4 years), and NBA stars make close to $50 a year now...

They should pry ask for a raise.

30 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah and remember they tried to spin it as racist leading up to the draft.

Yeah, I remember the brouhaha over it.  And you can spin anything without the proper context.

Just now, Doc said:

Yeah, I remember the brouhaha over it.  And you can spin anything without the proper context.

Agree, happens way too often. Although I will admit the ones that were not familiar with that show and quote, I can get why it may have seemed that way to some.. But the ones reporting it at the time knew exactly what it was and just tried to stir up *****.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Nah, bro. I'm not denying that he wasn't "in" on Allen, but during the playoff push where we were almost neck & neck w/ Miami, he said the Bills & Allen might not be the best team/QB in the division. I remember it clear as day and I'll try to find a link later if I can. I used the wrong words. He wasn't saying Allen was bad, he was just a lot higher on Tua and Miami as a team. He said it multiple times. Just another stupid "hot take." 

He really didn't. You are misrembering. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

See above. Ronaldo does not earn that in salary. Maybe with endorsements... but his salary is €31m. 

I just so happen to come across this article:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/08/04/report-messi-barcelona-agree-to-new-5-year-deal-with-massive-pay-cut/amp/

in this piece, it says Messi reduced is current contract which was a massive reduction, here’s an excerpt from the NBC Sports site:

”It was previously revealed that Messi’s last contract paid him $674 million over the four-year term ($168.5 million per year), thus the new deal is expected to pay him close to $85 million per year and just over $420 million should he remain at the club for the duration.”

Just some more info for

consideration.

16 hours ago, wjag said:

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

They always talk about year 1,  loss to Houston and losses of KC....

7 hours ago, Billschinatown said:

Easy to say all that stuff making an obscene amount of money to be a fool on the radio.

TBH if I had the 6'5 body of Thor....i might have had more faith in myself too.  There's a lot of corpses of people who failed to get to the top of the 250 million dollar glitch in the matrix Allen mountain.  America is an amazing country; but taking a lesson from Allen's path is pretty hard to do. The reality is America will let you thrive if you're something special and lucky. It will also eat you alive lol. 

The biggest lie the rich ever sold us is that we all have a chance. 

Sports aren't a way out for 99.99% of us. The perseverance and luck part apply universally though. 

Regardless looking forward to the improbability Allen winning the improbable super bowl for the Bills this year.  

very well written and articulated 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Now it is possible he is these things, or could it be that as Josh has continued to progress his opinion has changed and he sees how good Allen actually is?  We rag on national pundits who never change their tune, so finally we see someone who does change what they originally said and now he gets dumped on for that?  

My comment is not meant to dump on you guys either, just an observation and a genuine question

I think it’s fair that he changed his opinion on Allen. Cowherd is definitely entitled to do so, and probably should considering Josh’s success. I don’t struggle with Cowherd praising Josh, I just laugh at him acting like a champion of the Josh Allen story. This is coming from a guy who’s essentially said small market athletes and teams don’t matter. Suddenly he’s all about cashing in on the Bills bandwagon.

Sports talk radio has a reputation for being annoying, but Cowherd’s elitist rambling takes it to another level. He never sounds like an average Joe sitting around talking about sports. That should be the goal for sports radio imo. Instead, he goes on bizarre sociological rants that he awkwardly tries to link to sports. I could barely listen past the rant about being the son of divorced parents. 

8 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I just so happen to come across this article:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/08/04/report-messi-barcelona-agree-to-new-5-year-deal-with-massive-pay-cut/amp/

in this piece, it says Messi reduced is current contract which was a massive reduction, here’s an excerpt from the NBC Sports site:

”It was previously revealed that Messi’s last contract paid him $674 million over the four-year term ($168.5 million per year), thus the new deal is expected to pay him close to $85 million per year and just over $420 million should he remain at the club for the duration.”

Just some more info for

consideration.

Yea. Messi is absolutely the exception. There are lots of reasons for that but the gap between him and the next tier in terms of salary from their clubs is huge. 

17 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Nah, bro. I'm not denying that he wasn't "in" on Allen, but during the playoff push where we were almost neck & neck w/ Miami, he said the Bills & Allen might not be the best team/QB in the division. I remember it clear as day and I'll try to find a link later if I can. I used the wrong words. He wasn't saying Allen was bad, he was just a lot higher on Tua and Miami as a team. He said it multiple times. Just another stupid "hot take." 

Cowherd had us on the top 3 in the NFL for the last 8 weeks.  He had us #1 for about 2-3 of those weeks.

Cowherd was absolutely in Allen’s corner last year. The year before he wasn’t.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. Messi is absolutely the exception. There are lots of reasons for that but the gap between him and the next tier in terms of salary from their clubs is huge. 

I'm sure you're right, lol....nearly $170 million a year is good work if you can get it :D

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would definitely say less reliable than the Gazetta article that published the whole list of Juve salaries. Gazetta is the number 1 Italian sports newspaper. They say his salary for playing soccer last year was €31m. I think you can pretty much take that to the bank. I am sure he more than doubles that with endorsements and his clothing brands etc.  

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cristiano-ronaldos-juventus-salary-revealed-13189267

It looks like Ronaldo's 31M Euros salary is after-tax.  I believe soccer salaries on the continent are usually quoted after-tax while in the UK (and the US) it is usually quoted pretax.

I assume Italian taxes in that bracket are likely around 50% so the larger number $71M number reported elsewhere is likely pretax.

Edited by Billy Claude

On 8/11/2021 at 12:41 PM, GunnerBill said:

He really didn't. You are misrembering. 

Actually, CAK is right unless I dreamt listening to Colin last year while driving for work. IIRC he said it during one of his shows where he counts down his top 10 teams. It was around when Miami was coming off back to back big wins over the Rams and Cardinals. It was weird because I believe he still had the Bills ranked a couple spots ahead of Miami but he said he actually like Miami to win the division and overtake Buffalo essentially. 

But of course, shortly after Miami lost to Denver and Tua was benched and I don't really recall Colin being high on the Dolphins after that game. And he has been very anti Tua since.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Disagree 1