Colin Cowherd on Allen...

cage

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

This so true.  I would ask Joy to actually look at the Bill's offensive roster that year and get back to us.  That they won 6 games and actually moved the ball was a testament to Allen.  That was when I realized that we had someone special at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Are there other countries that pay 43 million dollars a year to play quarterback?

No, but they pay more than that for F1 race car drivers and star soccer players. So, you might want to rethink that attitude.

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

I wish it were a little longer.  The Josh Allen leap is equally part of why he’s so special.   What he’s become as a passer from where he was 3 years ago simply doesn’t happen. 

He’s become the example of what every GM, Coach, and fan hopes for in the draft.  I openly admit to being pissed when we drafted him and I don’t feel guilty about it because his ascension simply doesn’t happen.  

Allen was my second choice behind Darnold but I was thrilled when we were able to draft him. I knew that he could throw but I didn't know that the kid had an arm that I would place among the all time best I have ever seen. This includes distance and fastball. 

I have not been this confident in a qb since Kelly was young. This draft proved that Beane is smart enough to devote resources into protecting Josh. It really is a new day for long suffering Bills Fans.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This so true.  I would ask Joy to actually look at the Bill's offensive roster that year and get back to us.  That they won 6 games and actually moved the ball was a testament to Allen.  That was when I realized that we had someone special at QB.

And given that she is Taylor's, that final game of that rookie year against the Dolphins was particularly an Allen coming-out party. He put on a show of what was to come and won Offensive Player of the Week.... despite "sucking" in his rookie year

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Allen was my second choice behind Darnold but I was thrilled when we were able to draft him. I knew that he could throw but I didn't know that the kid had an arm that I would place among the all time best I have ever seen. This includes distance and fastball. 

I have not been this confident in a qb since Kelly was young. This draft proved that Beane is smart enough to devote resources into protecting. It really is a new day for long suffering Bills Fans.

I was team Mayfield all the way and thought we had a chance at him.  Darnold was never under consideration because he was the anointed golden boy and we had no shot.  

Rosen was my expectation and was pissed when we took Allen over him.  But again, because projects like Allen don’t pan out, right?  

I never wanted Lamar 

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

She's still on the Lamar is better train.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I was team Mayfield all the way and thought we had a chance at him.  Darnold was never under consideration because he was the anointed golden boy and we had no shot.  

Rosen was my expectation and was pissed when we took Allen over him.  But again, because projects like Allen don’t pan out, right?  

I never wanted Lamar 

By the time draft day came, I was in the "I'll be happy with either Josh," camp.  After seeing/hearing Allen and Rosen that night, I was very happy and very confident that we got, "the right Josh."

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

She’s similar to a bunch of other hacks that won’t let go of his first year and you are giving her too much credit. She consistently references his first 2 years being bad. 

When somebody hints that Allen was bad in his 2nd season it immediately hints to me, their mind was already made up, that they were actually too lazy to ever go look at his numbers(which were very solid as a whole) and the only game they watched was the playoff debacle. It’s a super lazy way to try and act like you weren’t completely off base about him. 

His passing numbers were not “solid”.  His rushing numbers + his passing numbers were solid.  Compare his 2019 passing numbers to Sam Darnold ls 2019 passing numbers.  Were darnolds numbers “solid’?  And Darnold played in 3 less games.  

my eyes told me that that Josh was a better QB than Darnold.  He did more to help the team win and he was clutch when it matters.  He played very well when we needed him to for the most part.  But his passing stats wouldn’t lead anyone to believe he was a good passer imo

51 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Cowherd is just a front runner. He realizes that league and media perception shifted to recognizing Allen’s place among the best. This guy hasn’t had an original thought his entire career. This new take allows him to say he’s right, and cover the market for rabid Bills fans. He used to sing the Pats and NY team praises because he wanted the large market. That’s back when he said the Midwest and its people are worthless, and only big market teams matter. Cowturd is really good at taking the popular position. 

31 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:
  1. biggest fip flopper in all radio/media

Now it is possible he is these things, or could it be that as Josh has continued to progress his opinion has changed and he sees how good Allen actually is?  We rag on national pundits who never change their tune, so finally we see someone who does change what they originally said and now he gets dumped on for that?  

My comment is not meant to dump on you guys either, just an observation and a genuine question

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

500K is tops in the CFL and you need league approval to hand that out ;)

Damn, they pay that much? Legitimately surprising. CFL is so weird, the bigger the city, the less they generally care about it. The Argos bleed money.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

His passing numbers were not “solid”.  His rushing numbers + his passing numbers were solid.  Compare his 2019 passing numbers to Sam Darnold ls 2019 passing numbers.  Were darnolds numbers “solid’?  And Darnold played in 3 less games.  

my eyes told me that that Josh was a better QB than Darnold.  He did more to help the team win and he was clutch when it matters.  He played very well when we needed him to for the most part.  But his passing stats wouldn’t lead anyone to believe he was a good passer imo

right. i literally said numbers were solid "as a whole". These same analysts dont discount jacksons rushing contributions. So why would they forget about 500+ rush yds and another 9 scores on the ground for Allen?

In just his 2nd year, Allen went for 3500 total yds, 29 td, 13 to's, and 10 wins in 15 starts. Solid as a whole. i think we agree there..... Anyone that says he was bad in his 2nd year is just trying to say it to justify their inaccurate stance on him coming into this last season.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Messi aside (and there are lots of reasons why he is an excpetion) there are no soccer players earing that much. The top paid player in the Premier League (richest league in the world) is Kevin De Bruyne on about £20m a year - which is what? $28m? 

It is also worth saying though that those soccer stars play upwards of 50 games per year for that money. When you break it down per game NFL players are extremely well paid. Not saying that is right or wrong, and the top of the pyramid in the NFL is smaller (ie. number of soccer players who earn over $20m per year will be much higher than the number of NFL players that do) but the top NFL stars are paid more than all but 1 or 2 soccer stars. 

You also have to take into account the average career length in both sports, where it isn't close.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

But again, because projects like Allen don’t pan out, right?  

Well, what I will say is that when judging qbs, it is a good idea not to be seduced by arm strength alone.

Ryan Mallet and Jeff George had arm strength at least as good as Josh. I thought Mallet would be a star. I saw him throw a 50 yard post pattern flat footed. The ball had almost no air under it and it looked like he was throwing a baseball. We know how he turned out.

In addition to arm strength, Josh can run, is as strong as an ox, seems easy to coach, and works his ass off. He also seems like a great kid. He deserves every dollar of that contract.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

. Anyone that says he was bad in his 2nd year is just trying to say it to justify their inaccurate stance on him coming into this season.

Agree. He made a pretty big improvement when he got some much needed help that year. But he was no where near "bad" for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

But wait- Bills fans told me I must hate Cowherd 

Cowherd definitely sucks. He's a reactionary who blows with the prevailing winds, and does flip flop constantly with very little in the way of original content. Often, I feel like he does things just to stir up controversy, which might be why he gets on so well with Nick Wrong.

That being said, this little monologue was actually quite on point and something I hadn't really considered. Sometimes, even awful pundits have solid takes. Like Chris Broussard just had one on the Josh/Lamar/Baker debate.

• Agree 2

A lot of people had it initially wrong on Allen but they still want to talk about his first season and a half.  What they don't want to talk about was the poor state of the roster at that time.  The second half of the second season improved because some of the additions to the offense started playing well together.  Allen was part of that improvement and benefitted from the improvement of others.  Allen's work with Jordan Palmer apparently had a huge impact in year three.  Allen deserves the credit for putting in the work and making the improvement.  It kills some people in the media to admit that they had it wrong with Darnold, Rosen, and to a lesser degree Mayfield.  Cowherd is the kind of guy that acknowledges when he was wrong.  He also calls things as he sees them without mincing words.  I listen to his show when I can.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right. i literally said numbers were solid "as a whole". These same analysts dont discount jacksons rushing contributions. So why would they forget about 500+ rush yds and another 9 scores on the ground for Allen?

In just his 2nd year, Allen went for 3500 total yds, 29 td, 13 to's, and 10 wins in 15 starts. Solid as a whole. i think we agree there..... Anyone that says he was bad in his 2nd year is just trying to say it to justify their inaccurate stance on him coming into this last season.

And some people want to see “solid passing numbers” in order to give someone credit as a solid QB.  His passing numbers as a qb in 2019 weren’t solid at all.  I doubt that Joy or most talking head type analysts added his passing and rushing stats together to get their totals.  They most likely looked at his passing stats and thought “meh, not solid”.  Then looked at his rushing stats and said “pretty good rushing stats…,but he’s a QB and almost all of his passing stats are bottom 10.”  His combined TD totals are the only stat that compares with the other qb passing Stats. His 3500 total yards = Ryan Fitzpatrick’s passing yards.  His qbr was 49 (25th in the league) less than Daniel Jones in his rookie season.

Total TDs, rushing yards and TDs and wins are the only solid numbers imo.  Just looking at his numbers (efficiency stats do exist), I wouldn’t think he was a good qb.  Watching him play the 2019, I knew he was a solid QB. It’s tough to make a case (good or bad) for a qb unless you watch them

play imo. 

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Total TDs, rushing yards and TDs and wins are the only solid numbers imo.  Just looking at his numbers (efficiency stats do exist), I wouldn’t think he was a good qb.  Watching him play the 2019, I knew he was a solid QB. It’s tough to make a case (good or bad) for a qb unless you watch them

play imo. 

This is without a doubt the biggest criticism I have of those who bashed Allen after his 2018 and 2019 seasons.  It's the same for those who bashed him pre-draft.  Those folks only looked at raw statistics and a few high(or low)lights.

A lot of us who watch every play of every game knew what was there; it's why before last season I predicted Josh would finish in the top 5 of MVP voting.

I'm not upset at, and don't begrudge, those who have now flipped their narrative on Josh.  Hopefully they have learned a thing or two.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And some people want to see “solid passing numbers” in order to give someone credit as a solid QB.  His passing numbers as a qb in 2019 weren’t solid at all.  I doubt that Joy or most talking head type analysts added his passing and rushing stats together to get their totals.  They most likely looked at his passing stats and thought “meh, not solid”.  Then looked at his rushing stats and said “pretty good rushing stats…,but he’s a QB and almost all of his passing stats are bottom 10.”  His combined TD totals are the only stat that compares with the other qb passing Stats. His 3500 total yards = Ryan Fitzpatrick’s passing yards.  His qbr was 49 (25th in the league) less than Daniel Jones in his rookie season.

play imo. 

Fair points. And so mine would be, is it too much to ask somebody that’s getting paid to talk about certain players in front of the masses to do a quick Google search on a players numbers before saying he sucked? 

1 minute ago, eball said:

This is without a doubt the biggest criticism I have of those who bashed Allen after his 2018 and 2019 seasons.  It's the same for those who bashed him pre-draft.  Those folks only looked at raw statistics and a few high(or low)lights.

A lot of us who watch every play of every game knew what was there; it's why before last season I predicted Josh would finish in the top 5 of MVP voting.

I'm not upset at, and don't begrudge, those who have now flipped their narrative on Josh.  Hopefully they have learned a thing or two.

And half those people still say “but I wasn’t wrong about his first 2 years.” 

…. Yes you friggin were. Take 2 seconds to go back and figure out how you coulda been so off the mark about a guy. You’re freaking paid to talk about sports. Geez. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I could care but Colin doesn't even believe his own words. He wakes up each morning and sees which way the wind is blowing. He only stopped ragging on Allen because to keep doing so would make him look even more foolish...like his gimp Nick Wright.

• Agree 2