2016 Bills Season Defining Moments

corta765

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Corta, 2017.  Anytime bud.  I know I’m a broken record.

novel idea.  We talk about good times. Bye- I know you mean we’ll.

It is coming!

14 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Ditto.  You weren't alone brother.

I think by the start of 2016 most fans saw the truth that Rex wasn't all he was cracked up to be, but the talent was there and off a 9-7 and then 8-8 season it was just get to the playoffs and will worry about the rest mindset. Once he couldn't even do that the fans and team thankfully said were out and redoing it better

14 minutes ago, corta765 said:

It is coming!

I think by the start of 2016 most fans saw the truth that Rex wasn't all he was cracked up to be, but the talent was there and off a 9-7 and then 8-8 season it was just get to the playoffs and will worry about the rest mindset. Once he couldn't even do that the fans and team thankfully said were out and redoing it better

All kidding aside, I promise myself and a lot of others can’t wait for you to get to 2017 as I can see that breakdown getting 15-20 pages of responses.  If you want to rile us up for the season, make it sometime close to the regular season starting.  I can see it getting top billing of threads for several days.  I know it takes a ton of work on you’re part.  

You know the guys are going to find clips of the locker room when Cincy won, the Red rifle clips, and so much more.  That season was as special as when I was an idiot college kid jumping on the goal post when big old Freddy Smerlas brought us to the AFCE and the AFCCG in 88.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

All kidding aside, I promise myself and a lot of others can’t wait for you to get to 2017 as I can see that breakdown getting 15-20 pages of responses.  If you want to rile us up for the season, make it sometime close to the regular season starting.  I can see it getting top billing of threads for several days.  I know it takes a ton of work on you’re part.  

You know the guys are going to find clips of the locker room when Cincy won, the Red rifle clips, and so much more.  That season was as special as when I was an idiot college kid jumping on the goal post when big old Freddy Smerlas brought us to the AFCE and the AFCCG in 88.

Oh I can't wait. Today my facebook reminded me that this was in 2017 when we trade Watkins and Darby and I pretty much lost it saying how the team had no idea what their doing and weren't going anywhere fast. WHOOPS haha

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, corta765 said:

Week 8: New England Patriots, 41-25 loss: In a rain soaked battle with their rivals the Bills failed to matchup with Brady back. The Bills defense played like a unit whose spirit broke a week prior and the offense could only do so much. The defining moment was now Patriot WR Chris Hogan scoring a deep TD pass right in front Bills CB Stephon Gilmore who famously looked back at his secondary as to say what are you doing. The game was over by mid 3rd quarter. Shout out to Bills FB Jerome Felton for a nice first down conversion on a catch in the 1st quarter.

Yea. The Hogan TD was a blown coverage by the safeties. Our safety play was atrocious all year that year. No surprise the first thing McDermott did in free agency the following spring was sign two safeties.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. The Hogan TD was a blown coverage by the safeties. Our safety play was atrocious all year that year. No surprise the first thing McDermott did in free agency the following spring was sign two safeties.

Once Aaron Williams went down against Miami the secondary got exposed badly on a regular basis. He was the lynchpin as he had grown into a probowl caliber player back there and the replacements were far less effective.

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Once Aaron Williams went down against Miami the secondary got exposed badly on a regular basis. He was the lynchpin as he had grown into a probowl caliber player back there and the replacements were far less effective.

Fans got on Gilmore all year but he actually had a decent season. That touchdown was not on him. The safeties sucked. And yea Williams's career was basically over at that point.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Fans got on Gilmore all year but he actually had a decent season. That touchdown was not on him. The safeties sucked. And yea Williams's career was basically over at that point.

Yea fan treatment of Gilmore was really frustrating. He had a superb year on a defense that constantly was breaking down all around him, I think anyone would've gotten frustrated at the lack of support. When I he signed in NE I told people you will end up not respecting how good he is and they didn't want to buy it until he proved them wrong. Buffalo lucked out with Tre, but they legit blew it in a sense letting a homegrown top guy like that walk.

Aaron Williams will forever be a "what if" Bill in terms of his career and where it could've went as he really emerged his last three seasons both in play and leadership.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:10 PM, JESSEFEFFER said:

On Dan Carpenters FG attempt Richard Sherman hit him after a whistle blow injuring him. Buffalo then took an illegal formation penalty as Carpenter made his 30 yd kick. Back five yards Carpenter missed his FG after making the prior two and Buffalo still trailed by two scores at 28-17.

1st & 10 at SEA 35

(0:03 - 2nd) D.Carpenter 53 yard field goal is No Good, Short, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-C.Schmidt. PENALTY on SEA-R.Sherman, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 35 - No Play. Unabated to the kicker. (But the late whistle allowed Sherman to hit Carpenter--legally)

(0:03 - 2nd) Timeout #4 by BUF at 00:03. Trainer came on to the field to attend to #2. Charged 4th? timeout to #2. He has to leave for next play

1st & 5 at SEA 30

(0:03 - 2nd) J.Williams spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2nd & 5 at SEA 30

(0:01 - 2nd) (Field Goal formation) PENALTY on BUF-D.Carpenter, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 30 - No Play.

2nd & 10 at SEA 35

(0:01 - 2nd) (Field Goal formation) D.Carpenter 54 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-G.Sanborn, Holder-C.Schmidt.

In the confusion of the Sherman hit on Carpenter (late whistle for unabated) his removal from the game for one play, the need to spike followed by the officials trying to sort out the situation.  They started the play clock and it got down to 8 seconds before the ball was finally marked.  It hit zero for a noticeable period of time before anyone involved with the game noticed, including the refs one of which finally threw the flag.  No one got the play clock reset.  No one on the Bills side noticed this error.  Neither player on the field nor Rex nor someone on his bloated 27 member coaching staff.  A small detail ti which no one paid attention.

The worst part of the DOG penalty was that the ref stood over the ball until there was only :02 on the play clock.  No one on the Bills said a word.  I blame the center, who should have been in the refs face screaming:  "I couldn't snap the *****in' ball because you were *****in' standing over it, you *****!!!!!"  This caused yet another rule change for a "supervisory" official, because you always have to screw the Bills once and then change the rule.  This supervisory official was also the jerk who screwed us over in the Houston playoff game, taking away our TD and calling it a touchback.  NFL officiating is a joke, but the ***** up that cost us the Seahawks game was the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The worst part of the DOG penalty was that the ref stood over the ball until there was only :02 on the play clock.  No one on the Bills said a word.  I blame the center, who should have been in the refs face screaming:  "I couldn't snap the *****in' ball because you were *****in' standing over it, you *****!!!!!"  This caused yet another rule change for a "supervisory" official, because you always have to screw the Bills once and then change the rule.  This supervisory official was also the jerk who screwed us over in the Houston playoff game, taking away our TD and calling it a touchback.  NFL officiating is a joke, but the ***** up that cost us the Seahawks game was the worst.

Lots of people to blame.  Referee will often automatically reset the play clock after the ball is marked ready for play,  Or a player asks for the  reset.  I blame Rex for not knowing it was going on.  Did not know the stuff about how the NFL responded.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Beast said:

Read it all. Made me hate Rex Ryan all over again! 

" This defense was 4th in the league last year.....well it's gona be #1 this year, this mic on?....Cuz it's bout to be" Lol

The great unforgettable Rex quote that still stays in the corner of your mind

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

" This defense was 4th in the league last year.....well it's gona be #1 this year, this mic on?....Cuz it's bout to be" Lol

The great unforgettable Rex quote that still stays in the corner of your mind

"We won the offseason. I know other teams did their thing and some did well but I really believe we won the offseason"

Just remember we won the offseason no one can take that from us when he was here

Edited by corta765
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, corta765 said:

2016 Bills Defining Moments

Week 10: Bye Week: The Sabres probably lost a game or five during this week.

Classic!

I like your work in these season summaries. Look forward to the most recent better seasons

• Thank you (+1) 1

The most defining moment of the 2016 season for me was hearing Rex Ryan was fired, roughly two weeks after I penned a letter to the Pegulas informing them I was canceling my season tickets after 27 years because I'd had enough of buffoons like Ryan and sycophants like Brandon.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, ScottLaw said:

Well… I recall the head scratching reverse to Bush in OT when the Bills were moving the ball at will that lost a good 7 yards(I think more but don’t remember the exact number). That ***** call was as dumb as it gets and ruined all momentum. 

This… I still can’t believe there were some here suggesting he wasn’t the problem.

This was a Rex trademark on offense, when we moved the ball and had good momentum he would try and be the hero/genius with a trick play which 90% of the time failed miserably and ruined our momentum.

This was another Rex trademark, either only 10 men on the field or rushing to get defenders in before the snap, constant problem on defense

"Did the Bills defense only have 10 men on the field during Ajayi's backbreaking 57 run into Bills territory in OT? Yep.

His other trademark was his laughable use of challenges, often challenges the wrong call or not challenge at all.  I was through with Rex one year after he missed 2 easy challenges and then didnt challenge two other plays against KC which we lost but should have one. That was also when after being an NFL HC for what 7 years admitted he didnt know how replay system really worked.  Pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, ScottLaw said:

That dolphins game was brutal… After all they did to come back to take the lead. They actually would’ve made the playoffs had they won that game and the finale against the Jets I believe….. Rex was a disaster

Rex & Rob believed in the Montessori method of coaching.