Bills hire Cynthia Frelund

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

She's going to make exclusive videos and write articles for the Bills website.

And probably be a regular guest in One Bills Live. 

She's basically a colleague of Chris Brown and Maddy Glabb now. 

Doesn't mean she can't do both...

I bet she knows the cap rules! 

• Haha (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

No comment on how good she is at what she does (never seen or read anything she’s done), but yeah those should absolutely be rounded to avoid being what I would consider misleading stats. 

Unless she has reason to believe her predictions are truly accurate to the thousandths place. 

Her predictions aren't her predictions. She constructs a model where you can input numerous data points including weather, opposition, projected playing time, etc. Then that model gives a number. She constructs the basis for giving that number, but not the number itself.

And is rounding really that hard?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think she’ll just be writing an occasional article. Not working exclusively for the Bills. 

Exactly. She'll also be the team sideline reporter during preseason games. Matt 'Money' Smith is the play-by-play man for the LA Chargers but is still employed by NFL Network. The lines are pretty blurred these days as a lot of these people have multiple gigs.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was back in March and I don’t remember if she ever said what it was. I always assumed it went with the Ertz rumor. 

It was Kyle Rudolph, before he signed with the Giants she had heard the Bills were in on him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Basically, the Bills are hiring her to provide research on whatever they ask basically.

Heard outside the owner's office:
"Jeebus, that bunch over at TBD-TSW are all agog over Tasker and Brown screwing up the 'cap show'.  Hire that Frelund woman to make 'idiot cards' for them!"

"Yes, Kim.  What did you want me to pick up for dinner on the way home?"

CF is a very impressive person and I have enjoyed listening to her when I have seen her on TV.

It has been "interesting" to read some of the posters here criticize a person with the following background, which includes an MBA from Northwestern and a B.S. in biology from BC

"Cynthia Frelund is NFL Media's first analytics expert, and can be seen across a variety of NFL Media shows and platforms. During the week, you can see Cynthia on NFL Fantasy Live and every Sunday on NFL GameDay Morning at 9:00 AM ET. She joins the NFL from ESPN, where she was a Predictive Analytics Analyst for two years. Prior to that, she served as a business development manager for Disney ABC Television Group, and a finance analyst for the NFL. Frelund graduated from Boston College with a B.S. in Biology in 2005 before receiving her MBA in Finance, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation and continuing in the MS of Predictive Analytics at Northwestern University. She is a marathon runner, a former Pilates and group fitness instructor, and is involved with Bright Pink, a national non-profit organization focused on preventing breast and ovarian cancer in young women. Frelund was born and raised in Okemos, Michigan."

https://www.nfl.com/author/cynthia-frelund-talent

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

Her predictions aren't her predictions. She constructs a model where you can input numerous data points including weather, opposition, projected playing time, etc. Then that model gives a number. She constructs the basis for giving that number, but not the number itself.

And is rounding really that hard?

I mean she built the model or uses a model to predict an outcome. It’s still her prediction, she is just using the model to help her determine the prediction. No different than someone thinking about a problem and picking using the eye test, it’s just she is using the tools available to build a standardized, repeatable and based on a defined criteria approach that I would imagine is superior to her using the eye test model. 

She should round that, she is expressing her model has a level of precision that I cannot possibly imagine it has based on not rounding. Not rounding 447 to 450 in a business setting implies you have an exact number and that the stakeholders can expect you have a perfect level of precision…you need to round that to 450 unless you actually are able to be that exact, otherwise you are misleading with data. 

Having a number out to a thousandths place in terms of precision like the example here is sort of wild. 

15 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I mean she built the model or uses a model to predict an outcome. It’s still her prediction, she is just using the model to help her determine the prediction. No different than someone thinking about a problem and picking using the eye test, it’s just she is using the tools available to build a standardized, repeatable and based on a defined criteria approach that I would imagine is superior to her using the eye test model. 

She should round that, she is expressing her model has a level of precision that I cannot possibly imagine it has based on not rounding. Not rounding 447 to 450 in a business setting implies you have an exact number and that the stakeholders can expect you have a perfect level of precision…you need to round that to 450 unless you actually are able to be that exact, otherwise you are misleading with data. 

Having a number out to a thousandths place in terms of precision like the example here is sort of wild. 

To be fair, I was exaggerating a bit when I posted about her predictions.  I have never seen her predict out to the thousandths place.