Yahoo: Did Josh Allen actually sign a better contract than Patrick Mahomes did?

BigDingus

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Just wait till Mayfield or Jackson sign their deals. Honestly comparing these contracts is not gonna get anyone anywhere. They’re all based on timing and salary cap more than anything else. 

While I want Jackson and Mayfield to sign for as much as Josh or more, I am so tired of hearing the argument that Lamar Jackson should get more bcuz MVP. That is their only go to. Never mind that Allen's 2020 was better than Lamar's 2019, nevermind that the Ravens finished behind the Jets in passing yards. No, and I am not mischaracterizing or exaggerating, real people who get paid to talk about football actually argue that Lamar will have a better career because he won an MVP.

Where can I apply? I know probably less than most casual fans but pretty sure I could still run circles around these dummies.

6 hours ago, eball said:

YoU cAnT CoACh aCcuRAcY

Josh always had incredible accuracy on the most difficult throws that only a few people can make. 

He struggled on consistently hitting simple throws that didn't require ripping it. 

You can most certainly coach consistency. 

When you look at stats without the context, you may miss the forrest for the trees. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

The “home team discount” stuff is and always was b.s.  These players can’t afford to not seek their market value (unless they have a wife who makes more than they do).  What makes this a “good” contract for Buffalo, and hence a win for both sides, is keeping the next several years’ cap hits relatively low and giving Beane flexibility down the road.

Not to Milano Feliciano and Daryl Williams.  They all likely took less from the Bills to stay in a good situation for themselves.  (Especially Milano)  Then test the free agent market. 

If you are a free agent and your team (say the Bills) are offering good money, but not ridiculously good money.  And say the Jaguars and maybe the Lions are offering 10% more.  I think a whole lot of guys are going to stay with the Bills than jump to a crap team.    

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

While I want Jackson and Mayfield to sign for as much as Josh or more, I am so tired of hearing the argument that Lamar Jackson should get more bcuz MVP. That is their only go to. Never mind that Allen's 2020 was better than Lamar's 2019, nevermind that the Ravens finished behind the Jets in passing yards. No, and I am not mischaracterizing or exaggerating, real people who get paid to talk about football actually argue that Lamar will have a better career because he won an MVP.

Where can I apply? I know probably less than most casual fans but pretty sure I could still run circles around these dummies.

It's a reasonable argument for his agent to make, but I agree the MVP vote should not impact the final dollars.

54 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Not to Milano Feliciano and Daryl Williams.  They all likely took less from the Bills to stay in a good situation for themselves.  (Especially Milano)  Then test the free agent market. 

If you are a free agent and your team (say the Bills) are offering good money, but not ridiculously good money.  And say the Jaguars and maybe the Lions are offering 10% more.  I think a whole lot of guys are going to stay with the Bills than jump to a crap team.    

It depends on the player. Look what happened in Seattle. They were a great young team and they lost Sherman and Earl Thomas over money despite being in a great situation to win and compete for SuperBowls.  Same story in Green Bay where Adams is threatening to walk despite a HOF QB and a well run franchise.  

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's a reasonable argument for his agent to make, but I agree the MVP vote should not impact the final dollars.

For his agent, yes. I would expect him to use it. However, for a pundit to say you expect Lamar Jackson to be a better QB going forward because he previously won an MVP makes absolutely no sense.

8 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

For his agent, yes. I would expect him to use it. However, for a pundit to say you expect Lamar Jackson to be a better QB going forward because he previously won an MVP makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed.

For the record I think Jackson is a far better passer than most of this board does. I liked Allen better pre-draft. I had Rosen second and Jackson/Mayfield in a toss up after that with Darnold last in that class.  And I'd still take Jackson over Darnold and Mayfield now.

10 hours ago, RangerDave said:

What is it exactly, that a player "can't afford" if they were to take, say, 20% less than a 248 MILLION dollar contract?  I understand trying to maximize your contract, but to say a player can't afford not to is just not true.  I live quite comfortable on about 1/10 of one percent of what Josh will be making.

I have no ill will against players for their contracts because that is apparently what the market will bear.  My point is that players who say they need to sign a bigger contract because they have a family to feed are delivering a false narrative.

And I do believe that I end up paying for these astronomical contracts indirectly.  I pay more for my cable TV, I pay more for products who advertise during football games, and the price of tickets nowadays has priced me out of attending games live.

The problem is not just football players, or sports players in general.  CEO's and others who make astronomical salaries also raise prices of goods and services I use, too.

I will now dismount my horse, high as it might be.  🐴

I think it has less to do with how much money the player wants/needs, and a lot more to do with what the NFLPA says a player's value is. There is a lot of pressure on players to sign for their max value so other players at their position have the ability to do the same if they want to. I honestly think JA would have been happy making half of what he got, probably even less. But he's not supposed to drag down the price for an elite QB's services. 

9 hours ago, Boxcar said:

So basically if Aaron Rodgers faltered in the last 5 games of 2020 and Josh ended up winning MVP then that would effect if Lamar should make more than JA or not?? Yeah idiotic thinking...how about going based off how good they are NOW...period...what will 2 seasons ago performance have to do with anything?

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So basically if Aaron Rodgers faltered in the last 5 games of 2020 and Josh ended up winning MVP then that would effect if Lamar should make more than JA or not?? Yeah idiotic thinking...how about going based off how good they are NOW...period...what will 2 seasons ago performance have to do with anything?

Apparently everything.

Skip to 2:30 to hear utter stupidity. I don't care if people think Lamar will be better. They're wrong, but it's their opinion. Justifying it by saying "durr he win MVP once!" is sooooo dumb

Edited by Boxcar

40 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Apparently everything.

Skip to 2:30 to hear utter stupidity. I don't care if people think Lamar will be better. They're wrong, but it's their opinion. Justifying it by saying "durr he win MVP once!" is sooooo dumb

Well, you fail to understand the key element in it all, Jackson is “different” in a very special way from Allen.  With one season of great play, you are forever the QB who can “change” everything.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Apparently everything.

That second to last guy shouted some really valid points.

5 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Unless the agent is a key source for the pundit…

5 hours ago, Freak-O said:

That second to last guy shouted some really valid points.

Which is embarrassing because he's well known for being a massive idiot. When he's the smartest guy in the room, that's not a good sign.

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It depends on the player. Look what happened in Seattle. They were a great young team and they lost Sherman and Earl Thomas over money despite being in a great situation to win and compete for SuperBowls.  Same story in Green Bay where Adams is threatening to walk despite a HOF QB and a well run franchise.  

Doesn't seem too well run when your GM can't even pick up the phone to show some respect to your star franchise QB before drafting a QB in the first round. That was a mind boggling blunder especially since they must have known Rodgers personality and that he would not take that news well...almost like they hoped to avoid the tough conversation with him and hoped it was swept under the rug.

Plus the many missteps since then...looking more like the Jets lately than a well run franchise.

Edited by Big Turk

I worked with hedge fund equity traders for years. They were very smart people who seemed to know a lot about money, and especially about compensation. I could tell them about the tax benefits of income deferral, rabi trusts etc… and they would have none of it. Money up front was all that mattered even if the benefit was pretty much locked in, subject only to remote regulatory or tax changes. In football, especially the QB position, the risk of injury with loss or diminution of career far exceeds that of almost any other profession.  So I would assign a high value to a front loaded deal with guarantees. Looks to me like Josh got a phenomenal deal