High School Reunions

LewPort71

Mrs. Lew and I just attended our 50 yr HS reunion.

Two questions arose.

Who are all the old geezers ?
            AND
What have they done to all our HS friends ?

Seriously we had a great time.

We took a tour of the school building we were supposed to graduate from.

Delay after delay blocked construction progress, so it was not finished for the class of '71.

So what we call the "New School"  is 50 years old.

There have been some remodeling and updating

There is a fitness club that rivals any professional fitness clubs.

We just hope those darn whipper-snappers appreciate all the stuff they have there.

• Like (+1) 2

It's an interesting point.  Even people we know well, if we have not seen them in a long time, don't age in our minds.

They tend to stay the same age as when we were last around them.

I look back at my favorite high school teachers now (class of '89) and think of them as they were...in some instances, guys in their 30s.

I tend to forget they are all old men and in fact quite a few of them are now dead.

I skipped the formal (dinner) part of my 30-year reunion in 2019.

I was talked into going to the bar where the after party was and it was everything I'd expected.  The people who were cool in 1989 were still cool and the the a-holes were still a-holes.

Definitely my last reunion.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's an interesting point.  Even people we know well, if we have not seen them in a long time, don't age in our minds.

They tend to stay the same age as when we were last around them.

I look back at my favorite high school teachers now (class of '89) and think of them as they were...in some instances, guys in their 30s.

I tend to forget they are all old men and in fact quite a few of them are now dead.

Went to my 10 and 20 so far. i found my reunions to be interesting in the sense that the kids I was friends with in like 6th grade, we seemed to pick back up to when we Were at that point of time— even if we didn’t hang out at all in high school. 

Went to one reunion, my 25th I think, and it was an interesting one because it was in a repurposed church turned into a music theater in Buffalo by my classmates.

Almost everyone recognized me and lots of friends who I did not know and I checked my yearbook and did not sign it so not likely close.  Maybe because I first classmate to be a millionaire. 

Was going to go to 40th reunion in 2019 but unable to handle the driving anymore solo.  Was told afterward by a friend of my sister who graduated with me that she could hav given me a ride.

i went to an all boy high school, so the reunion has never really been a thing.  i think they're always informal and at a bar if anything.  about 10 of us would go out to dinner a few times a year before covid, so we'll see if that starts again.

i went to my college 10 year which was a blast.  missed my 20 year because it was my daughter's birthday.  probably go to my 25.

for grad school...***** it.   i talk to the few people i want to, and it's just too hard to care about anyone else.  

as for seeing friends age...it is weird.  most of us have stayed in pretty good shape, but you can't really avoid the wrinkles starting and graying hair.  one old high school friend i did see recently, and it freaked me out.  he gained some weight, but his head and face...my god.  he gained a shocking amount of weight in his head.  how does that even happen?

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, teef said:

as for seeing friends age...it is weird.  most of us have stayed in pretty good shape, but you can't really avoid the wrinkles starting and graying hair.  one old high school friend i did see recently, and it freaked me out.  he gained some weight, but his head and face...my god.  he gained a shocking amount of weight in his head.  how does that even happen?

Ask  Barry Bonds

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Never went to one and until this thread didn't really want to.  The friends I have from high school I still talk to and we get together ever year or two for a birthday or trip.  Never saw the need to see all the folks I don't really care about.  

This thread brought up an interesting point though.  I class reunion touring the old school would be interesting to me.  I would love to see the changes over the years.  

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Went to one reunion, my 25th I think, and it was an interesting one because it was in a repurposed church turned into a music theater in Buffalo by my classmates.

Almost everyone recognized me and lots of friends who I did not know and I checked my yearbook and did not sign it so not likely close.  Maybe because I first classmate to be a millionaire. 

Was going to go to 40th reunion in 2019 but unable to handle the driving anymore solo.  Was told afterward by a friend of my sister who graduated with me that she could hav given me a ride.

You got money, just be sure to wrap that rascal.   

I flew back to the States a couple years ago for our 30th reunion.  It was a blast!

I haven't seen many of my old friends for that whole time, but we picked up right where we left off.  (Being stupid)

I agree with you too... the first thing I thought when I walked in was,  "Why are all these old people here?"

Went to my 40th in 2015. About 100 of the 365 showed up. Had a great time. Everybody's name tag was their yearbook picture  so you could recognize them.  A friend I hadn't seen for 20-25 years didn't have his on and I drew a blank at first. He had a full head of thick red hair back then. Now he was bald with a grey ZZTop like beard!  Saw him post a picture of him and his adult niece  at Beaver Island and I captioned it " Santa on Vacation!"

Talked a lot at the reunion about a classmate that was  spending tome in the big house.  Was a lawyer that  bilked his clients out of several millions.  Might of heard of him . Sold his mansion in OP to Mario Williams to pay them back. 

Edited by Wacka

16 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Never been to one.  Small class (80ish), school's not there anymore.

Did skip the college reunion because;  I don't play golf. didn't want to give them any $$, didn't want to drive 8-9 hrs., and can drink all I want at home, without the stupid mask!.

Same situation for me.   Class of 2001, graduated with 36 people.  Dont do the reunion thing.

Graduated from college twice, didnt walk either time.  Just send me my paper in the mail and Ill make sure you get your money.

I didn't go to the formal dinner but we had a happy hour the day before & I went to that last month.  It was our 30th.  I went to a Catholic High School.  We only had I think 110 in our class and I think 20 showed up.  It was good seeing some of the guys I haven't seen in awhile.  I think out of the 20 8 ladies showed.  4 of them were now lesbians.  Nice huh?  The scary thing was I dated 3 of the 4 in high school.  I am like George Costanza, you date me for awhile and I will push you over the ledge to being gay.  

• Haha (+1) 2

My old class goes a bit overboard with reunions. We have one mediocre reunion every year with 50ish attending, usually in Durand Park. This year's is next weekend. A few more attending this year as our big five year bash, the 45th, was canceled last year because of Covid. We also have 3-4 smaller get togethers at a local bar every year, usually around 30ish attend. usually around 250-300 for the big 5 year bash. Always make the annual Durand mini, and usually 1-2 of the smaller ones. Seems most of my old GF's have not aged well. The girls I didn't pay much attention to....let's just say Karma's a beach.

Edited by Steve O

I have a really odd reunion group.

AOCS, which is Aviation Officer Candidate School, the school portrayed in the movie "Officer and a Gentleman."

Just a great group of guys. 

Started out with about 25 guys, ended up with 18 that were commissioned.

A great group, and oddly, a number of the guys who didn't make it through attend as well, as this will be our third reunion.

Pensacola,  at the Blue Angels return to winter home airshow in Nov.

Seafood, Cajun, the Blues, and the Naval Aviation Museum, which is a treasure, and with the guys that I have really strong ties with that at 21 years old, I never thought I had the skill to join that club.

Ended up being four pilots and 11 back seaters.

The best part of the military is the friends you make.

In Naval aviation, among carrier guys, they are lifelong.

Looks like a good weekend. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.