Training Camp Practice Monday, August 9 (10 am)

Emmanuel Sanders busy in return
Emmanuel Sanders returned from a foot injury and didn’t look rusty at all. He had four targets from Josh Allen early during team drills and caught three of them. With Stefon Diggs missing practice, Sanders was Allen’s favorite target. He left no reason to think the foot injury is impacting him in any way.

On another receiving note, Jake Kumerow had another three catches from Allen in this practice. Kumerow has been more than just a flash in the pan at Bills practice. He’s been a steady and consistent performer at receiver. He should get a chance to play plenty of snaps in the preseason, but Kumerow already looks like a player who will find his way onto this roster. Not only that, his performance along with that of Isaiah McKenzie and the Bills’ top four receivers makes this look like the strongest top-to-bottom receiver depth chart Allen has worked with.

Gabriel Davis working the sideline again
Gabriel Davis’ ability to make terrific catches along the sidelines continues to stand out during training camp. He may not be Allen’s most frequent target, but Davis always seems to be a threat to make a big play.

Two depth cornerbacks make plays
We’ve written about how unproven the Bills’ backup cornerbacks are, but two of those players turned in strong practices on Monday. One was Cam Lewis, who intercepted a pass during individual drills and has shown the flexibility to play inside and out. Rachad Wildgoose has that same versatility, and he was flying to the football during team drills. As camp has progressed, Wildgoose has gotten more chances to show his willingness to tackle. The true test of his tackling ability will come in live action against other teams, but the fact that Wildgoose is willing to stick his nose into traffic is a quality Bills coaches will like.

Tight end competition heating up
While Dawson Knox hasn’t gotten off to a scorching start in training camp, he did have a pair of catches from Allen during team drills on Monday. Hollister also had a nice grab from Allen, though. Since his return from a back injury, Hollister has looked like a player who will factor into the Bills’ plans at tight end.

With Dawkins out, the Bills’ offensive tackle depth has been tested. The extra reps have been a benefit to Spencer Brown, who doesn’t quite look ready for the starting lineup but has shown improvement throughout camp. He has an obvious blend of strength and movement that could make him a capable starter when he refines his technique. He had a few strong blocks on Efe Obada, one of the stars of training camp. Maybe by the time Dawkins is back, Brown will have gotten enough reps for the Bills to be comfortable with him as a swing tackle.

Depth on the defensive line keeps showing up
Obada had another strong practice, making his way into the backfield on multiple occasions. And A.J. Epenesa followed suit, putting pressure on Allen in team drills after winning a pass-rush with an inside move.

Entering training camp, the defensive line looked like the most crowded position room. Ten practices into camp, there are still plenty of questions about how the Bills will sort through this depth chart. Darryl Johnson looked like he had been passed by on the depth chart, but he’s been disruptive in consecutive practices and has gotten glowing reviews from special teams coordinator Heath Farwell. Obada, Epenesa and the rookies have all looked like roster locks early. And that’s just at defensive end, where Jerry Hughes has been missing because of injuries. The Bills also have to decide how many defensive tackles to keep behind Star Lotulelei and Ed Oliver. Justin Zimmer has the attention of coaches, and Harrison Phillips showed up to camp stronger and healthier than he has in past years. The Bills have more quality defensive linemen than they can realistically keep.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

90 degrees and humid

It’s a wet heat…

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lazy said:

I'm assuming you've never been to Buffalo or just being sarcastic.

It's hotter, humid,  and any liquid in your body flows out of you like Niagara Falls at this time of year.

The myth of cold and snow is hilarious!

I guess… spent my childhood in Syracuse, so maybe Buffalo is different?   I don’t remember it being insanely hot and humid.  

I’m now in SC & GA, and it’s 90+ degree soup from June through September 

9 hours ago, TPS said:

There’s a nice article about him in TheAthletic today

Regarding his forced fumble:

“My wife after the game was like, ‘You made him cry!’ I didn’t know that, and I got a good laugh out of that when she was telling me that,” Zimmer said.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Not trying to be snarky, but how hot could is possibly be in Buffalo right now?

We play in Miami, Week 2.

I'm in Canada and it was almost 110 degrees today where I am with the humidity. 

Buffalo gets damn hot. Trust me

Edited by DJB

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, what is this "multiple weeks" thing?  He was reported out with Covid on July 28.  Per NFL protocol, Fri or Sat (depending on the date of his +) was the soonest he could have been back (minimum 10 days) and they had off Sunday.  We're talking a week and a half here, tops, and there's no saying he wasn't healthy enough to work out during that time.

A - the Bills reported one player was symptomatic. 

B - “multiple weeks” isn’t technically incorrect. 

C - a big lineman is exactly the type of guy for whom I’m concerned about having a more serious reaction to infection. 

D - it’s just my opinion and obviously I hope Dawkins is ready to roll. 

Go Bills