I See that D.B. Cooper is Back in the News

T&C

This case has always fascinated me... sort of a story that hasn't ended yet. 

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-top-news/2021/08/07/crime-historian-conducts-dig-for-db-cooper-case-evidence

Full article for more.

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — Nearly 50 years after skyjacker D.B. Cooper vanished out the back of a Boeing 727 into freezing Northwest rain — wearing a business suit, a parachute and a pack with $200,000 in cash — a crime historian is conducting a dig on the banks of the Columbia River in Vancouver, Washington, in search of evidence.

KOIN reports that Eric Ulis, a self-described expert on the infamous D.B. Cooper case, began a two-day dig on Friday. Ulis and four volunteers are searching for evidence about 10 to 15 yards away from where a boy found $6,000 of Cooper's ransom money in 1980.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dhg said:

There is a HBO documentary from last year called The Mystery of DB Cooper. It's really well done and extremely interesting. Highly recommend it.

We don't have HBO but I found the trailer for it, never heard of it before, thanks.

I've thought the DB Cooper case is one big story.  It was literally a "money plane" heist or a Lufthansa heist, but years earlier by the mob or the CIA of unmarked cash from overseas.  Northwest Orient had hubs in North America and abroad.  They likely routinely moved money back and forth from their Japanese hubs.  

DB Cooper the man, never left the plane mid-flight, but a pallet or crate, or whatever of unmarked cash did.   FBI wanted to keep it quiet to deter copycats.   

All the specificity about the man but not about the plane or where the plane was, always made me curious.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.