Base for Edmunds extension? D Leonard signs 5 years 99 million

DJB

With a decent performance this year I suspect the Spotrac prediction of 6 year at $14M is probably pretty spot on.

The first couple of years would be in the $12M category and IF the guaranteed money wasn't too steep I can see that happening.

If Beane and the Bills don't want to sign him for that some other team probably will.

They went 6 years due to his young age and would be 30 years old at the end of the contract.

If Edmunds did a "Milano" type deal which was a bit team friendly I would cut off $1M per.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tremaine-edmunds-25111/market-value/

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What I do know is that McBeane will operate like Belichick - they will not be afraid to lose players whom the fans and the media may think are important players.  

That's an interesting point, and Edmunds may wind up testing your theory if he doesn't have a true breakout season.  With Milano already getting a second deal, you're looking at a lot of money potentially tied up in 4-3 LBs.

If guys like Epenesa and Oliver step up and provide a pass rush, there might be budget for him.  Otherwise, I don't see how you can afford to throw more big money at the second level if there is still no solution to the pass rush. Obviously they've spent a lot of draft capital looking for the answer, but if the answer doesn't reveal itself this season, some of that money is going to have to go towards an established guy, and they aren't cheap.

20 minutes ago, Billl said:

That's an interesting point, and Edmunds may wind up testing your theory if he doesn't have a true breakout season.  With Milano already getting a second deal, you're looking at a lot of money potentially tied up in 4-3 LBs.

If guys like Epenesa and Oliver step up and provide a pass rush, there might be budget for him.  Otherwise, I don't see how you can afford to throw more big money at the second level if there is still no solution to the pass rush. Obviously they've spent a lot of draft capital looking for the answer, but if the answer doesn't reveal itself this season, some of that money is going to have to go towards an established guy, and they aren't cheap.

I think that's a very good way to look at it.  I love the idea of Edmunds, but I'm in the camp that says he has to play at a different level before he gets a big payday to stay in Buffalo.  

You're right about the money spent at linebacker.  But it seems like what they're hoping for is Edmunds to force the Bills to write a big check, and that will mean McDermott will have to function with two expensive LBs and some journeyman the Bills get make work for a year or two.  

A global description of what McDermott is doing is first, focus on the pass.  The pass is the way to success in the NFL, so focus on passing really well, and focus on stopping the passing game.   That's the number one priority, evident both in the Bills offense and their defense.  Next, on defense, how are we going to prevent being overrun by the pass?   By preventing the deep ball, by limiting passing success to shorter passes, ideally behind the sticks.  How are we going to do that?  Well, we're going to have a bunch of smart, disciplined DBs, good athletes, and they're going to play complex coverages.  Those coverages demand that we have some really good pass defending linebackers, just two, really, because we're in nickel so often.   We can't afford to blitz much, because these guys are going to be specialized pass defenders.   If they're not going to blitz much, that means the pressure has to come from the front four.  Enter Oliver, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham.  

It's also interesting how all this drives the run defense.  What do the Bills have to stop the run?   Well, six strong quick guys, guys who stay quick by keeping their weight down.  (Actually, it's like they're wrestlers.)  They're built that way to stop the pass, so how are those six going to stop the run?   Well, the Bills are still figuring that out.  

None of which is to say Edmunds is the guy to pair with Milano to be those linebackers.   Milano was kept at what seemed to be an appropriate cost.   In another year, we'll find out whether the Bills will be willing to pay the "appropriate cost" to keep Edmunds.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can see the Bills drafting a LB up high to replace Edumonds. That's not to say I don't think Edumonds isn't a good player and a valuable piece to the defense. But this team has handed Josh Allen, White, Milano, D.Williams and Dawkins all big extensions and has Diggs on a sizable deal too. While there are some veteran players set to fall off the books in the next 1-2 years (Mitch, Butler, Sanders, Addison, Hughes and several other possibly) Josh's extension makes add another big 15ish million dollar aav contract to the books a bit harder to do. Hopefully they can keep him at a good rate but he might be the one that gets too rich for Beane. 

On 8/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, Allen2Diggs said:

Edmunds is nowhere near the level of Leonard. He's worth half that based on his level of play.

Agreed but he could get to his level,  I'm still very confident he makes a jump. 

Edmunds is more physically gifted too.

If for some reason we don't pay him, which I'd highly highly doubt, another team would be happy to pay him that 5 yrs 80 mil range.

I think with what Edmunds brings to the table and what his role is and what we use him for, he just isn’t worth paying $13M, $14M+ a season to.

I think if Edmunds gets paid big dollars, it’s going to be by a team that wishes to use him as a pass rushing LB. Similar to the way the Cardinals use Reddick and similar to the way the Bucs use Barrett.

Edmunds will never be an Urlacher, Kuechly or Lewis type of MLB. He does not have the instincts for that. He could thrive however in a defense where his responsibilities are dumbed down a bit, but we just inked Milano to a blockbuster deal to fill that void, so I’m having a hard time thinking that Buffalo will also sign Edmunds to big deal as well, given that we run lots of two LB sets with a big nickel, so he will primarily be a Mike if he stays here and not a WLB.

Edmunds has not reached his ceiling, mainly because he is playing out of position. He has more value to other teams than he does Buffalo. Once again, as a pass rushing LB who can drop into coverage, he’s quite useful, especially since he has positional versatility and experience as an ILB as well, but ultimately, the Bills chose Milano to fill that role here, not Edmunds. Paying Edmunds big money to play out of position could prove to be deadly for Buffalo. Not only because Edmunds is a liability at MLB, but also because we would be paying big money to keep him, especially when he would have more value playing for other teams at a different position, ie WLB.

Ultimately, I think we made a mistake keeping Milano. Buffalo should have drafted or signed a true MLB and Edmunds should have been bumped out to WLB.

• Like (+1) 1