Base for Edmunds extension? D Leonard signs 5 years 99 million

DJB

Edmunds ain’t an All-Pro, for one.

A number of opponents have been rushing on this D with relative ease / for big gains in the past few years. And maybe that’s due partly to scheme…. But I’m just going to write the obvious here: there’s a LOT riding on this season for him wrt his role & future on the team and his contract.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Edmunds will get between $70-$80M over 4 years. 

He won’t sniff a Leonard deal… just not the same caliber guy. 

Leonard's deal will only hold up this year. After that it doesn't matter. So yes this year he def wont "sniff the deal" next year with higher cap and if he improves that might be his deal.

The ceiling for one year is usually closer to the floor the next year.

Edited by TBBills

47 minutes ago, DJB said:

Are you willing to pay something similar for an Edmunds extension? 

Nope - and this was why in the Who’s next thread - I said he needed to be next - before this contract came out.

Mike from SPOTRAC mentioned that before Darius signs - you have a shot at Edmunds at 12-13 million AAV, but if Darius gets 20+ million as he thought - Edmunds immediately jumps to 17-18 million AAV and probably out of the prices range they can slot in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

44 minutes ago, TBBills said:

All I know is this is a huge year for Edmunds, if he improves he will get it.

All I know is, if this is anywhere near the money that Edmunds will command, I hope it is with another team. 😉

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - and this was why in the Who’s next thread - I said he needed to be next - before this contract came out.

Mike from SPOTRAC mentioned that before Darius signs - you have a shot at Edmunds at 12-13 million AAV, but if Darius gets 20+ million as he thought - Edmunds immediately jumps to 17-18 million AAV and probably out of the prices range they can slot in.

Ehh...they can slot him in...the cap is skyrocketing the next 5 years, to over 300 million...17-18 will be equivalent to 12-13 now.

It's like NBA players making almost $50 million a year now...where did that come from?? A rising cap... that's where. The money has to go somewhere and most often it goes disproportionately to the stars.

Edited by Big Turk

I’m a big supporter of Edmunds, but he’s not at the level to get that kinda contract yet. I have faith he’s going to explode into the elite category with an improved pass rush so I’d be ok overpaying some to lock him up now. But not at the highest paid at his position like Leonard 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ehh...they can slot him in...the cap is skyrocketing the next 5 years, to over 300 million...17-18 will be equivalent to 12-13 now.

It's like NBA players making almost $50 million a year now...where did that come from?? A rising cap... that's where. The money has to go somewhere and most often it goes disproportionately to the stars.

I will say 2 things:

1) NBA comparison is crazy because they don’t have a true cap.  You can basically spend whatever you want and just pay more into the pool.  So where does 50 million come from - owners willing to overspend to make their team relevant.  A team like Brooklyn with Durant is not staying under the CAP - they are basically willing to go way beyond the cap for a few years to try and win.  

2.) We know in the NFL based upon the agreement that the Cap next year is only going to rise a few million and that is assuming all games go off and all fans are back.  I am not convinced that will be the case come the fall.  Then the 2023 CAP will be based upon the 2022 money - meaning the 2023 CAP is not skyrocketing - it will be 2024 when the CAP see the biggest jump.

They can slot him in, but it just became harder and much less likely.  The numbers for off ball LBs were going up - that was clear and everyone knew Darius was going to set a new standard - the fear was how high does it push the lesser players and that contract probably pushes guys like Edmunds - not Elite, but top 5-10 with multiple ProBowls - up 5 - 6 million on AAV over the next couple of seasons.

For me - If it could of been done first - I would have done it at 12-13 and it would seem a bargain.  Now I am waiting - not to see how he plays, but you need to get other players to slot into 13-14 AAV to get him back down to that range.

48 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Edmunds will get between $70-$80M over 4 years. 

He won’t sniff a Leonard deal… just not the same caliber guy. 

Isn’t 4 yr 80 million actually higher that 5 yr 99.95 million.

I think you need to adjust you take slightly.

I was thinking before this deal 4 year 48 - 50 million would have been my target.

Sorry saw @NoSaint beat me to it. 

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

No, not as of right now. 

Edmunds has all the potential in the world, but as of right now, he’s not as good as Darius Leonard.  

If he balls out this year… sure, offer him that contract, but not until we see him make impact plays regularly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1