Levi locking down CB2?

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Regular season they’ll be fine, but come playoff time I suspect it will become a bit of an issue against the top teams…. Especially if the pass rush is nullified by a strong offensive line.

I agree. -😳

Its wonderful to be thinking along these lines when discussing concerns about the team -‘we’re good til the playoffs.. but..’

Such rarefied air we’re breathing these day!

Pinch Me!

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Crowder says "hi".

You will need to refresh my memory on that one. Levi doesn’t usually play in the slot. I know crowder had a good stat day week 1 last year but if I recall correctly they were spoon feeding the short stuff to Darnold on purpose. And unless he was filling in, that would have been Taron.  Levi tends to struggle more with the big, physical outside WRs. Is there a particular game that you referring to?

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I see you point. But that’s where McD and Frazier earn their keep. As much as we focus on the player v player match-up, I don’t think it’s stressed enough how imperative it is that the game plan, play calling and personnel decisions put players in a position to do what they do best. 

Unless we play KC and it looks like Leslie and McD took the week off.....

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yes i agree with that. Levi is not beating back all pros. He’s fighting off the guys getting in there to take his job; what more do you want from the guy. He’s not that bad btw for a 2nd corner some of yall think Beane is just going to pluck another tre white out his whatever. Doesn’t work like that.

All Pro and washed up vets/JAGs aren’t the only two options.  It definitely doesn’t work like that.  There were reasonable options in FA and the draft, but Beane went in other directions.  I’m hoping we add another decent CB for depth before the season starts because we are thin.

14 hours ago, StHustle said:

Who cares Sherman got drunk and acted a fool. He didn't physically hurt not one human being and not even any one lies car. Odds of anything close happening again in the last few seasons of his career are slim to none. 

His intensity and leadership are something I believe our defense can benefit immensely from. Kinda like the Jish Norman pick up on steroids. He's a guy who will be much more of a solid player than a liability on the field and undoubtedly provide a few flash/splash plays this season.

Sign me up!

Who cares you ask???  The Process cares!  I trust them to "sign me up!" more so than you thats for sure. 

Can you interpret that second sentence there for me?  And I would much rather not entertain the odds of an aging football payer to do anything rational.

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yes i agree with that. Levi is not beating back all pros. He’s fighting off the guys getting in there to take his job; what more do you want from the guy. He’s not that bad btw for a 2nd corner some of yall think Beane is just going to pluck another tre white out his whatever. Doesn’t work like that.

I want him to be better in man.  I want him to be more athletic and faster.  

No, I think that Beane should’ve invested more into a premium position.  I don’t expect him to add another 27.  I expect him to continue to add talent and competition at every position.  I saw cb2 as a position that we would target in FA or the draft.  Maybe both.  Instead, we didn’t sign any FAs and just used a 6th rd pick on the position.  Most draft analysts that break down team needs viewed cb2 as a need.  It’s not some made up random thought.  Most people crowed it as one of our shortcoming.  

I expected more.  Not Tre’Davious.  

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

and levi was an undrafted free agent. What’s your point

My point is….:we don’t have enough good talent competing for cb2.  I mean…..I think that’s kind of obvious. 

• Like (+1) 1

I appriciate the fire for football and competion Wallace has.  Walk on at Alabama.  5 star Dbs by the barrel full. Every year multiple first or second day draft picks out of their secondary.  Earns a scholarship after 2 years, earns a starting spot at cb his Sr year.  That alone is wild.  Players before him after at Alabama go first or second rd he is undrafted.

Seems like the training camp story for the last few years and probably the next few.  Player X has more this and that and is competing with Wallace for the spot.  Wallace beats them out.  Overall, playing acrossed White you are going to get targeted more no matter who you are.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I want him to be better in man.  I want him to be more athletic and faster.  

No, I think that Beane should’ve invested more into a premium position.  I don’t expect him to add another 27.  I expect him to continue to add talent and competition at every position.  I saw cb2 as a position that we would target in FA or the draft.  Maybe both.  Instead, we didn’t sign any FAs and just used a 6th rd pick on the position.  Most draft analysts that break down team needs viewed cb2 as a need.  It’s not some made up random thought.  Most people crowed it as one of our shortcoming.  

I expected more.  Not Tre’Davious.  

My point is….:we don’t have enough good talent competing for cb2.  I mean…..I think that’s kind of obvious. 

I get you. I suppose it may have been a better idea to get a high round rookie DB to try to push Wallace for cb2 rather than going DE/DE/DE at the top of the last two drafts. Too late for that now though. I hope all that investment in the DL can make his job easier indirectly.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, StHustle said:

Who cares Sherman got drunk and acted a fool. He didn't physically hurt not one human being and not even any one lies car. Odds of anything close happening again in the last few seasons of his career are slim to none. 

His intensity and leadership are something I believe our defense can benefit immensely from. Kinda like the Jish Norman pick up on steroids. He's a guy who will be much more of a solid player than a liability on the field and undoubtedly provide a few flash/splash plays this season.

Sign me up!

People judge, but most of them probably had stupid drunk moments they wouldn’t want the world to see. Lord knows I have. I mean nothing violent, but certaintly embarrassing situations nonetheless. 

I’ve always felt Levi Wallace was a perfectly functional #2 CB. Sure, he got picked on a couple times last year, but he’s pretty solid. He locked up that Steelers win for us last year w/ a very timely pick. I think we upgrade in the draft next year. Every team isn’t stacked from top to bottom. You have to sacrifice at a couple positions. With Allen’s new contract you’ll have to expect more of that.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

21 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

They keep bringing in guys to compete with Levi and they keep choosing Levi. The best bet for them to 'improve' CB2 was getting a pass rush. 

Reminds me of Fred Jackson. He out competed every running back they brought in to take his place.

Levi isn’t a flashy player, but he’s serviceable and has been here going on 4 years. What more can you expect from a UFA? He’s went above and beyond.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Reminds me of Fred Jackson. He out competed every running back they brought in to take his place.

Levi isn’t a flashy player, but he’s serviceable and has been here going on 4 years. What more can you expect from a UFA? He’s went above and beyond.

Levi allowed 57% completion percentage and only missed 5% of his tackle attempts, not bad at all. 

Sherman allowed 72% and missed 10% of his tackle attempts.

Are we sure it’s an upgrade?

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

You guys are ridiculous. Levi Wallace is a freaking solid player.

Solid depth. He can hold his own with Tre locking down the other side.  If Tre gets injured you have a tandem of Wallace and Jackson out there. 😵😵 Are you comfy with that?

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

Solid depth. He can hold his own with Tre locking down the other side.  If Tre gets injured you have a tandem of Wallace and Jackson out there. 😵😵 Are you comfy with that?

No, solid player. I'm pretty danged sure Sean McDermott, a defensive minded coach with a defensive backfield pedigree knows a wee bit more than message board guy.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

How many different teams/players can u say that about? Most I would assume. 

9 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

So?  His job is to handle the other sides responsibilities.  He's not depth,  he's a starter.  What does the possibility of Tre getting hurt have to do with him?