How many people don't like Allen's new deal?

mjd1001

How do you feel about the contract extension to Allen.  

419 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the extension

• Love it. Bills got a great deal, this will ensure the team is great for a long time.
    • I'm "Okay" with it I guess. Wish it was a bit lower of a deal, or they waited another year though.
    • Hate it. Even with the way it is structured, the Bills will regret giving him this extension.

2 hours ago, Putin said:

I could be wrong but can’t remember Brady winning a SB with a middle of the pack defense and no running game , 

Fair point, but can we agree Allen & new regime are in very early stage of getting to above middle of pack defense & mediocre run game? Time will tell, Bills haven't had a qb break any of Kellys records, get to an AFC championship game in 25 years. Patriots and Brady were an anomaly, i think most if not all Bills fans would take just one Superbowl and be content to leave this planet. 

52 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Love that QBs are locked up long term.

Roster quality will be hurting down the line 100%

All teams with highly paid QBs will hurt their rosters sometime after their extension.

We wont be seeing that for a couple of years which is good...but 3 years from now if we dont have a superbowl ring....the team wont be any better than it is now, makes it harder to win.

Things that will help, keep the roster sound:

Vets taking discounts to stay or come and join the team for a run. 

Allen taking discounts.

Drafting hit after hit.

Don’t forget practices. When these guys are going against each other in training quality begets quality. Brings the whole roster up organically.

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Hate it. Even with the way it is structured, the Bills will regret giving him this extension.

Josh will turn into another fat rich kid

image.png.db49d3d67a17af939ad7db1c27a83112.png

Is... is that real?  

I'm assuming this is JaMarcus Russell?

Edited by Capco

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I have a few Pats fans still as friends (I lived quite a few years near Boston) and already got 2 text from them....they are trying to justify among themselves how this is a terrible deal for the Bills, that they overpaid for a QB that will be the 2nd or 3rd best in the division 2 years from now..etc, etc.

You’re friends with Boston sports fans? There is no worse fanbase in sports then people who support teams from that city and that includes Philadelphia   

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Love that QBs are locked up long term.

Roster quality will be hurting down the line 100%

All teams with highly paid QBs will hurt their rosters sometime after their extension.

We wont be seeing that for a couple of years which is good...but 3 years from now if we dont have a superbowl ring....the team wont be any better than it is now, makes it harder to win.

Things that will help, keep the roster sound:

Vets taking discounts to stay or come and join the team for a run. 

Allen taking discounts.

Drafting hit after hit.

Franchise QBs don’t grow on trees and it’s the chance you take it’s not like anyone wants to go back to the days of evaluating college players by mid season and hoping we tank for a draft pick that was our philosophy on the Bills fan boards for like 15 years 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm laughing while typing "only $40M" but in 2028 bridge QBs will be making 30-35 million.

This contract will be a bargain if Allen continues to evolve as certain draft experts thought he would. His performance versus an ever-increasing salary cap would become relatively cheaper and cheaper as the Bills enter a period of...

image.png.84c7bf09efb38226532d2a6af92c3bfa.png

Kiper-inflation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

This thread might not go anywhere, but in light of most of people I have talked to loving the deal, does anyone not like it?

Either when they heard about the deal it just didn't seem right?

Or maybe they think it is a bad deall all around for the Bills?

I'm just curious as to the actual percentage of fans that may not be on board with it, because since yesterday, it seems to me like 95% + love it.

I know we have a huge thread on this, but I was hoping to see the results of a poll, a 'quick look' at responses as an alternative to spending hours reading through the tread and mentally tallying the opinion.

Well there's your answer, just over 1% didn't like it 😆 

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

No problem - after your next response to me - that made sense.

I know we don’t agree much, but I do respect what you bring to the board.  That was why the response made no sense to me.

👍🏻 Appreciated.  The feeling is mutual my friend 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

The thought of Mason Rudolph being the Bills QB……should’ve caused everyone nightmares.  He was being projected as a possible target prior to us trading up.  I had him rated as the 2nd worst player on earth. 2nd only to peterman after I was lucky enough to attend the charger game in 2017

To be honest I think that was all a smokescreen. I guarantee if we didn’t get Allen, then we most likely would’ve ended up with Rosen which still at the end of the day we’d still be screwed. But I highly highly doubt Rudolph was going to be a Buffalo Bill 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

To be honest I think that was all a smokescreen. I guarantee if we didn’t get Allen, then we most likely would’ve ended up with Rosen which still at the end of the day we’d still be screwed. But I highly highly doubt Rudolph was going to be a Buffalo Bill 

Yeah, I didn’t think Beane was an idiot….. it was pretty obvious that Rudolph was a bum….but I’m a bills fan and I suffer from ptsd because of it.   I don’t the bills put out any smokescreens about Rudolph.  It was mainly mock drafts and a couple posters that got me thinking about it

I feel like anyone making the “he only did it for one year” argument still falls into the category of those who never liked the pick in the first place.  There is, quite literally, NO evidence to suggest what Josh did last season, or the consistent improvement he has made since coming into the league, is unsustainable or a “flash in the pan.”  The best I’ve heard some come up with is that he may struggle with fans in the stands — which cracks me up.  Over his first two seasons Josh actually played better on the road than at home.

If you’re not over-the-moon about this team-flexibility-friendly deal to lock down an elite QB through 2028 I have no idea what is going through your mind.  Well, I have some idea…and I want no part of it.

11 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We could have gotten the other Josh cheaper :huh:

And got a better deal for him at the garage sale.  WNYers drive a hard bargain.

13 minutes ago, eball said:

If you’re not over-the-moon about this team-flexibility-friendly deal to lock down an elite QB through 2028 I have no idea what is going through your mind.  Well, I have some idea…and I want no part of it.

image.thumb.gif.d4b64be8bbe68a4e808887c9e502efef.gif

I like it.  It is the market value deal that Allen earned and it got done at a time that made a lot of sense for both sides.  Allen didn’t take a discount, but I didn’t expect him to.  And there is nothing wrong with that. 

I love it, basically he plays this year on his rookie contract, plays next year on his fifth year option, and the contract $$$$ don't really come into effect until his third year. IMHO, Josh's dollars will be peanuts compared to what QBs at his current level will be demanding.

What intrigues me is what kind of contracts Mayfield and Jackson will get. Mayfield (through no fault of his own) hasn't put up a season comparable to Allen, but with his new found continuity is on an upward trajectory. Jackson DOES have an MVP season under his belt, however his performance seems to be on a downward trajectory. Could the Ravens be "stunting his growth" as a QB by relying on his running abilities?

The way I see it Mayfield COULD demand more money than Allen, but he really doesn't have anything to back up his demands, and Jackson COULD demand more money based on his MVP season, but do the Ravens see him as a glorified running back who can throw the ball and expect him to hit the wall physically in the next few years or as a developing QB?   

How could any rational fan not love this deal. First, it will look better and better compared to the inflated #s after the cap increases. Next, this incredible talent, bent over backwards to give us flexibility to fill holes in the roster with the way the deal is structured. Compared to the atrocity Dak signed, this deal is a godsend. Not to mention Dak is a far cry from our guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/7/2021 at 6:40 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea, but cap space...

First, I LOVE THE JOSH ALLEN CONTRACT (all caps for enthusiasm)!!!!   It was a great deal for both sides and that contract will be a bargain soon enough.  If the NFL was doing a redraft of the NFL, I think more often than not Allen is probably the second pick behind Mahomes right now.

Nothing but respect for you Gunner, but at the end of the day you’re wrong in how you seem to completely dismiss the importance of it, just like the people who are totally OCD and overly obsessed with cap space are also wrong.  Truth is that it definitely matters and is important, and the great GMs make it look easy while lesser GMs bungle it all the time.  You are not wrong in how some people overly exaggerate or obsess with it though.  

Allen’s contract is a brilliant example of how to use cap space.  And not every GM gets this right.  Cap management is absolutely critical in how you both build a championship roster and maintain a championship roster.  Beane has built this team to contend a long time by locking up guys like Tre, Dion, Allen, Milano, Diggs, etc long term on deals that give us the ability to also keep Edmunds and others.  And they are all under 27 years old.  

Beane has put on a clinic on how to repair and clear out the cap for a rebuild while acquiring draft assets to rebuild a team.  Then he was excellent in how he used that draft capital and cap space to build a team, and do it in a way that put him in prime position to retain that talent once it developed.

There is a bloody road of GM dead careers who did it all wrong.  I feel like Beane has changed Buffalo so much in his time here that people forget what it was like to have leadership who made so many mistakes.  

Cap space is not the only important thing obviously, drafting the right players, signing the right players, hiring the right coach, etc are all critical and very important.  But how the GM manage things like the cap and draft capital along the way is critical in being able to both retain said players and still keep adding more talent going forward to the overall team.

IMHO, Beane is the best GM in football right now, and is definitely without question top 3.  And his cap brilliance and draft management is definitely an important part of why that is the case.  

Edited by Alphadawg7