Training Camp Practice Saturday, 8/7 from 10am – 12pm Gates open at 9am TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Ralph Wilson Stadium*

Rich stadium*

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some high end company should be looking for Allen to be spokesman - not because he needs the money but if he is spokesman it would be great commercial for Allen to be giving out Christmas gifts from that company to players in commercial.

Allen should get him a jugs machine for his stone hands 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Couple points: the only RB proven to thrive in outsize zone runs is Brieda with the Niners. None of the other guys have from what I’ve seen the speed to get to the edge. Also, the idea that ‘outside zone’ is an offensive philosophy, as opposed to a type of play and oline technique within a zone specific blocking scheme, is misplaced. 

Further, not sure what outside zone runs (or inside zone runs for that matter) have to do with ‘streamlining’ the pass game, other than traditionally zone schemes utilize more athletic linemen who often are better pass blockers?

Who said zone blocking was a "philosophy"...........clearly not I....so I guess that's some kind of straw man attempt to discredit the idea that the Bills have RB's that fit a particular style of run blocking over another?

Here is a nice Daboll related article on the differences between man and zone blocking:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/7/13/15963800/alabama-football-brian-daboll-saban-jalen-hurts-bo-scarbrough-pittsburgh-steelers-patriots

Outside zone is the technique that the Bills made their primary run blocking style about mid-way thru last season.

Teams often have a blocking style and stick with it..........teams accumulate personnel that matches the style of blocking they wish to use..........so obviously it tends to becomes an identity of a team's offense.

But no........it's not a "philosophy" if someone told you that.  

As for why the Bills switched.........it wasn't necessarily a personnel issue..........they had proven they could man block in 2019..........Quinton Spain was a casualty of the switch and Singletary was lessened by it.     Feliciano was better in man as well.......particularly at center where he was much superior to Morse in that regard.

What it did was allow them to spend less time determining blocking assignments and allow the offense run more up-tempo and/or give Allen more time to look over the defense pre-snap.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who said zone blocking was a "philosophy"...........clearly not I....so I guess that's some kind of straw man attempt to discredit the idea that the Bills have RB's that fit a particular style of run blocking over another?

Here is a nice Daboll related article on the differences between man and zone blocking:

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/7/13/15963800/alabama-football-brian-daboll-saban-jalen-hurts-bo-scarbrough-pittsburgh-steelers-patriots

Outside zone is the technique that the Bills made their primary run blocking style about mid-way thru last season.

Teams often have a blocking style and stick with it..........teams accumulate personnel that matches the style of blocking they wish to use..........so obviously it tends to becomes an identity of a team's offense.

But no........it's not a "philosophy" if someone told you that.  

As for why the Bills switched.........it wasn't necessarily a personnel issue..........they had proven they could man block in 2019..........Quinton Spain was a casualty of the switch and Singletary was lessened by it.     Feliciano was better in man as well.......particularly at center where he was much superior to Morse in that regard.

What it did was allow them to spend less time determining blocking assignments and allow the offense run more up-tempo and/or give Allen more time to look over the defense pre-snap.    

You keep saying outside zone…that’s just a stretch, basically. The Bills run zone blocking, which can be both outside where the RB is trying to get the edge outside the TE a la Breida w/ Niners or inside zone, where the RB is headed for the guard’s hip like how Antonio Williams scored against the Dolphins wk 17. Nobody just runs an ‘outside zone’ rush attack. It is a concept within a zone blocking scheme.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Singletary might be a trade candidate in a week or two.

AW is under team control for a little less $ but the same amount of time..........which might not be a total coincidence..........perhaps they envisioned this and didn't want to be in a spot where team control was a deciding factor in the RB decisions.

Wouldn't get much but maybe another team has a blocked or similarly scheme misfit talent that would match up to Beane's liking.

AW was playing against the 3rd stringers…, not much to brag about when you beat up on a bunch of future insurance salesmen .

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You keep saying outside zone…that’s just a stretch, basically. The Bills run zone blocking, which can be both outside where the RB is trying to get the edge outside the TE a la Breida w/ Niners or inside zone, where the RB is headed for the guard’s hip like how Antonio Williams scored against the Dolphins wk 17. Nobody just runs an ‘outside zone’ rush attack. It is a concept within a zone blocking scheme.

While that's all true........the personnel for OZ and IZ is not necessarily well suited for both.

See the difference between Roman's rush attack and Dennison's.

Roman wanted his RB's to take the inside yards.........his lineman were "athletic" but not the more nimble guys best suited for OZ (like, say Forest Lamp).

So when Dennison came in and stubbornly decided to run much more OZ..........the OL wasn't as adept at it and while LeSean McCoy was able to adapt to Roman's style he struggled in OZ.

A dynamic rush offense was undermined while still technically being a zone blocking team.

Do you understand why they switched last year or are you in disagreement about that as well?  

Rather than trying to straw man me with things I didn't say........just tweet John Feliciano and ask him if he lost 30 pounds so he could run more inside zone this year.😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

While that's all true........the personnel for OZ and IZ is not necessarily well suited for both.

See the difference between Roman's rush attack and Dennison's.

Roman wanted his RB's to take the inside yards.........his lineman were "athletic" but not the more nimble guys best suited for OZ (like, say Forest Lamp).

So when Dennison came in and stubbornly decided to run much more OZ..........the OL wasn't as adept at it and while LeSean McCoy was able to adapt to Roman's style he struggled in OZ.

A dynamic rush offense was undermined while still technically being a zone blocking team.

Do you understand why they switched last year or are you in disagreement about that as well?  

Rather than trying to straw man me with things I didn't say........just tweet John Feliciano and ask him if he lost 30 pounds so he could run more inside zone this year.😉

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, I was just trying to clarify. We do indeed run a zone blocking scheme.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

AW was playing against the 3rd stringers…, not much to brag about when you beat up on a bunch of future insurance salesmen .

Look............I don't want to like Antonio Williams...........he is a boring, straight line runner with zero wiggle or flash who I could not understand why they had on this roster last summer.    Total misfit.   But then they changed styles.  

I'm not a real fan of OZ run blocking.   We were spoiled by Roman/Lynn and even to an extent by the man blocking we got in 2019(and the glimpse we got in the NE home game last season).

But this is about what's best for the offense.   Specifically the passing game.   Daboll seems to have made up his mind.   Tempo and time for Josh matter more.   I am for whatever is best for JA.

And Devin Singletary tip-toeing to the line hoping to get a block that creates open field opportunities that is NOT COMING is a recipe for TFL's and TFNG.    You gotta' hit it or forget it in OZ.    That's not been his style and if they don't get efficient at the style of run blocking they choose they are going to be off schedule and largely out of balance again.   Nobody wants that.

• Like (+1) 4

I’m pulling for AW.  I hope he can pull it together on ST as he can probably work his way up the depth chart as the season progresses.  The way O Linemen and RB’s get hurt on just about any team, he would most likely get some playing time.

Im suspect on the Fins game as it was week 17, and those players were packing it in at that point.  If he can get a chance mid season when it matters, I’m all for it.

Lastly, Badolz you summarized well the changes in style the last several years.  Dennison was mistaken trying to change what was working.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Fair enough. But Didn’t he beat up on a good Miami defense last season? 

Yes, AW has shined toward the end of one game that was already well in hand. I believe we all hope he continues to capitalizes on his opportunities,

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Singletary might be a trade candidate in a week or two.

AW is under team control for a little less $ but the same amount of time..........which might not be a total coincidence..........perhaps they envisioned this and didn't want to be in a spot where team control was a deciding factor in the RB decisions.

Wouldn't get much but maybe another team has a blocked or similarly scheme misfit talent that would match up to Beane's liking.

I don’t think AW will get a real chance. coaches never seem to give undrafted RB’s a fair shake. It’s only after a spate of injuries that Some of these guys get a chance, and they then end up shining (Priest Holmes, Arian Foster, Willie Parker, Fred Jackson…). 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think AW will get a real chance. coaches never seem to give undrafted RB’s a fair shake. It’s only after a spate of injuries that Some of these guys get a chance, and they then end up shining (Priest Holmes, Arian Foster, Willie Parker, Fred Jackson…). 

Oh great Sen Seh, you speak truth.  Him making the team is the accomplishment.  Even if he only makes the PS, he still can get a shot like you said as one of the top 3 go down.  I’m not trying to be morbid and wish ill of our main 3.  It’s just too common on the NFL you’d better have Four options at RB as you’re going to use them eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

Did anyone see what happened to Sal Capaccio late in the 4th quarter? He was laid out in the tunnel for about 5 minutes being attended to by medical. He eventually walked off but I'm not sure if he was hurt somehow or could possibly have been a heat casualty. 

10 minutes ago, sirebors said:

Did anyone see what happened to Sal Capaccio late in the 4th quarter? He was laid out in the tunnel for about 5 minutes being attended to by medical. He eventually walked off but I'm not sure if he was hurt somehow or could possibly have been a heat casualty. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, stevewin said:

- They prob have been switching back and forth but Moss was with 1st team - had a couple nice plays with catch out of backfield and screen.  Antonio Williams looked good again - hopefully they can get him on practice squad  They prob won't but to me wouldnt be a bad idea to limit his exposure in preseason games

If WIlliams continues to impress especially with goal-line carries, I see the Bills trading Singletary for a 3rd day pick before end of TC

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

If WIlliams continues to impress especially with goal-line carries, I see the Bills trading Singletary for a 3rd day pick before end of TC

No one’s sure -including the Bills- how the RB situation will materialize, but I highly doubt McBeane will trade away a 3rd Rd pick who’s been a consistent starter in his 1st 2 seasons. 

First, they/Dabol has to commit to a particular rushing attack (blocking schemes, and align RB & OL skills). 
Devin has had some truly fine performances, if not consistently. But I’d be shocked if he goes anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

No one’s sure -including the Bills- how the RB situation will materialize, but I highly doubt McBeane will trade away a 3rd Rd pick who’s been a consistent starter in his 1st 2 seasons. 

First, they/Dabol has to commit to a particular rushing attack (blocking schemes, and align RB & OL skills). 
Devin has had some truly fine performances, if not consistently. But I’d be shocked if he goes anywhere.

Can't see him being traded. Need good depth at RB and we barely have it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1