Parallels Between the Knicks and Bills Offseasons

I think some of you are likely Knicks fans - so you may find these parallels between the Bills and Knicks offseasons intriguing

a. Both franchises had been mired in non-playoff streaks

b. Both franchises have had trouble attracting FAs

c. Both franchises had breakthrough 2020-21 seasons. Bills are a bit ahead - but both beat consensus national expectations comfortably.

d. Both franchises didnt just make the playoffs in 2020-21 - they had home court for the first round.

e. Now the most important parallel - both opted for continuity - Knicks with Burks, Rose, Gibson and Noel and Bills with Milano, Williams, Jones, McKenzie, Boettger, Wallace

f. Both agreed to reasonable extensions with their franchise breakout stars of 2020-21 - Allen and Randle (OK Randle's was probably a steal - Allen's not so much)

Now who is going to be the Bills' " ex-All Star coming of injury in 2021 "Kemba Walker signing - "ex- Pro Bowl coming off injury plagued 2021" Zach Ertz?

(Ha! sneaked Ertz into the post!)

• Dislike 2

Sorry but I don't really see it, I think its a reach.  The Knicks are a storied franchise who only very recently had trouble recruiting star players, Buffalo has never been a destination market. The Bills went to the AFC Championship game, the Knicks made the playoffs in a league were even below average team make the playoffs.  Yes, the Knicks are on the rise and I think they have set themselves up nice for the future, but they are without question on the outside looking in when you talk about contending for a championship.  There are probably 7-8 other NBA teams that have a significantly better shot at winning it all these next few years.  The Knicks lack elite star power.  If you did a league wide franchise fantasy draft in the NFL, Allen goes 1 or 2 no question.  The Knicks have a few really nice players but nobody that truly scares you. Just don't see much of a parallel, maybe besides fan loyalty during the drought.

Edited by vtnatefootball11

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I think some of you are likely Knicks fans - so you may find these parallels between the Bills and Knicks offseasons intriguing

c. Both franchises had breakthrough 2020-21 seasons. Bills are a bit ahead - but both beat consensus national expectations comfortably.

d. Both franchises didnt just make the playoffs in 2020-21 - they had home court for the first round.

e. Now the most important parallel - both opted for continuity - Knicks with Burks, Rose, Gibson and Noel and Bills with Milano, Williams, Jones, McKenzie, Boettger, Wallace

f. Both agreed to reasonable extensions with their franchise breakout stars of 2020-21 - Allen and Randle (OK Randle's was probably a steal - Allen's not so much)

Now who is going to be the Bills' " ex-All Star coming of injury in 2021 "Kemba Walker signing - "ex- Pro Bowl coming off injury plagued 2021" Zach Ertz?

It's nice to have a true New Yorker here with me. Go Knicks, Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

I'm 54 years old and I'm my time, I have stopped rooting for 1 of my childhood favorites. Yep, the knicks. Isaiah, starbury, dolan, etc. Just couldn't support dolan and what he was doing to that franchise. Still can't get myself to root for them anymore. 

3 hours ago, Beast said:

You must be young or slept through the 1990's.

The 1990's team lost Marchibroda, then Wolford, then Polian....... This one is staying together! LOL! Except Daboll!  This one is going to win it all!  I hope this year! If not, next!

Go Bills!

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

I'm 54 years old and I'm my time, I have stopped rooting for 1 of my childhood favorites. Yep, the knicks. Isaiah, starbury, dolan, etc. Just couldn't support dolan and what he was doing to that franchise. Still can't get myself to root for them anymore. 

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel - If Rose / Walker knees hold up - we will make some noise in the East again. And there will always be the possibility of a Lillard trade.

As a Knicks fan I don’t think I agree with the comparison. However, I do believe the lesson for every franchise is that success starts at the top. Both teams stabilized the franchise with very competent front office hires that set the tone, had a plan, followed the process and made subsequent good hires down the line. 

The jury is still out for Leon Rose and the Knicks, and the Bills/Beane have yet to win the Super Bowl, but I feel very confident in their direction. 

20 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The Bills are 10 times the franchise the Knicks will ever be. NY is plagued by some of the worst ownership in all of sports. I dedicated a lot of time watching them tear it up in the reg season only to get absolutely bodied in the playoffs by the freakin’ Hawks. I will always take everything the NYKs do w/ a grain of salt. I’ll always be a fan, but year after year they’ve caused me more pain than the Bills did in a lot of ways.

13 hours ago, beerme1 said:

This is stupid. There are no comparisons between these two. GTFO with this.

How is there not? Both had droughts along the same time frame. Both had bad ownership. Both teams signed some splashy FA signings that mostly did nothing. Both are in NY. There’s tons of parallels. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Sorry but I don't really see it, I think its a reach.  The Knicks are a storied franchise who only very recently had trouble recruiting star players, Buffalo has never been a destination market. The Bills went to the AFC Championship game, the Knicks made the playoffs in a league were even below average team make the playoffs.  Yes, the Knicks are on the rise and I think they have set themselves up nice for the future, but they are without question on the outside looking in when you talk about contending for a championship.  There are probably 7-8 other NBA teams that have a significantly better shot at winning it all these next few years.  The Knicks lack elite star power.  If you did a league wide franchise fantasy draft in the NFL, Allen goes 1 or 2 no question.  The Knicks have a few really nice players but nobody that truly scares you. Just don't see much of a parallel, maybe besides fan loyalty during the drought.

The Knicks aren't even in the Convo for a championship and their owner is basically the Dan Snyder of the NBA....no matter how good things seem to be going he will figure out a way to screw it up.

Edited by Big Turk