Josh Allen: Contract extended through 2028

eball

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Josh could incorporate in NYS. Corporations are 'people', right?

An astute corporate accountant, could make a significant part of Josh's NYS tax liability, go away.

People really think they understand things they don't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Cap hit breakdown:

Nice - exactly as I suspected it actually saves them about 8 million next year.

I would also guess - like the Mahomes deal - his 27 million base salary in 2023 would be able to be converted to a signing bonus prior to the year allowing about 20 million to get freed up in 2023 if needed.  

All depending on when the cap explodes with the new contracts - which we should see the massive jump after the 2023 season as the TV contracts go into effect for 2023.

The deal gets better and better for flexibility and adding/keeping FAs.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Meanwhile, the Jets plan is to draft a new QB with a top 5 pick every few years and never have to give him a 2nd contract at big $ and give their fans bragging rights to a lot of cap space going into each offseason.  

Shrewd paln.  What could possibly go wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This part surprises me.

You see?

yea.. Its just not true... Ravens fans clearly believe Lamar is better.. Lamar is a system player that needs to be in a solid system to run as much as he does.. Put Josh in about any system and I think he will be one hell of a QB For that system. That is what makes Josh better.. That and Josh's ceiling is WAY WAY higher... still have not seen the full potential of Josh... Lamar has clearly had a drop in numbers last year.. And I think .. might be a hot take... Lamar's base is somewhere between last year and his MVP year.. That makes Josh better. But again to your point.. your right on in your original "surprise" quote

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Josh could incorporate in NYS. Corporations are 'people', right?

An astute corporate accountant, could make a significant part of Josh's NYS tax liability, go away.

30 minutes ago, Chaos said:

People really think they understand things they don't. 

I couldn't speak to whether that's possible. The only thing I know about is players have to pay income taxes for the state's that they 'work' in..

However, I'm a firm believe in the power of corruption. If this was possible, I am sure it would have been done already. 

Seems like @Chaos might know more

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

yea.. Its just not true... Ravens fans clearly believe Lamar is better.. Lamar is a system player that needs to be in a solid system to run as much as he does.. Put Josh in about any system and I think he will be one hell of a QB For that system. That is what makes Josh better.. That and Josh's ceiling is WAY WAY higher... still have not seen the full potential of Josh... Lamar has clearly had a drop in numbers last year.. And I think .. might be a hot take... Lamar's base is somewhere between last year and his MVP year.. That makes Josh better. But again to your point.. your right on in your original "surprise" quote

The Ravens are not the same.  Lamar first was set up with an out that he didnt employ an agent.  I think he is too reliable on running.  Good/ great wr are not coming to run block on first down.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They just don't get it.  The Bills have their core players locked up through at least the 2022 season & Josh's cap number went down by $6.7 million dollars in 2022.  So now if they started the day with less than a million they now have over $7 million in cap room with the new contract, and that's before they rework Edmund's contract if they extend him beyond his 5th year option & lower his 2022 cap hit from it's current projected $12.7 million.   Here's why: Josh will get paid over $46.5 million next year in real $, but $42 million of it is in a fully guaranteed roster option.  Since the $42 million is amortized over 5 years it adds (rounded) $8.5 million to next year's cap .  His base salary, which was $23.1 million has been dropped to $4.1 million.  Add in this year's $16,500,000 signing bonus divided by 5 years to get another $3.3 million & $500 k workout bonus & his cap number is $16.38 million. So his cap hit goes from (unrounded) $23,106,000 to $16,380,000, a cap savings of $6,726,000 even though Josh will more than double in real cash what his 5th year option would have paid next year with no extension. 

Meanwhile, the Jets plan is to draft a new QB with a top 5 pick every few years and never have to give him a 2nd contract at big $ and give their fans bragging rights to a lot of cap space going into each offseason.  

Here's a link to Josh's cap hits every year of the new contract if you want to see the numbers in a chart:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/  

This is what fans say that don’t have a QB. They no there in trouble for the next 15 years dealing with Allen but what are they going to say we drafted the wrong guy in 18. 

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

The problem is Lamar is one dimensional.  When that one dimension on a QB isn't "good at throwing the football", they end up a regular season hero.  There's ways to lock him down like the Bills and Titans have shown.  Gimmick offenses don't thrive against playoff defenses.

36 TDs in 2019 and. 26 TD in 2020 doesn't sound one-dimensional.   

Both the Ravens and Bills offense scored  3 and 10 points respectively in the Divisional round....Defense tightens up in the playoffs

59 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The lamest reason why I hear Lamar deserves more money than Allen is that Lamar has an MVP and Allen does not. I mean if the Packers spark a fire under Rodgers ass one season earlier in 2019 instead of 2020 we are probably talking about Lamar as runner up in 2019 and Allen being MVP in 2020. 

That said, Lamar has been everything you could have hoped for and then some if you are the Ravens IMO. So if I am in Lamar's camp I say get all you can get. Helps too that it would be much harder for the Ravens to move on from Lamar seeing how they have built and entire offense around his skill set. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Both the Ravens and Bills offense scored  3 and 10 points respectively in the Divisional round....Defense tightens up in the playoffs

Weather played a major factor. Kickers on both teams missed two FG's each on kicks inside 40-45 yards. Gimmies essentially. And one of those kickers is considered the GOAT of kicking. When stuff like that happens in the kicking game on short kicks you know the weather is also having an impact on the passing game. 

At the goal line, Allen had a TD go through the hands of Gabe Davis. Lamar through a pick six directly into the bread basket of Taron Johnson.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The lamest reason why I hear Lamar deserves more money than Allen is that Lamar has an MVP and Allen does not. I mean if the Packers spark a fire under Rodgers ass one season earlier in 2019 instead of 2020 we are probably talking about Lamar as runner up in 2019 and Allen being MVP in 2020. 

That said, Lamar has been everything you could have hoped for and then some if you are the Ravens IMO. So if I am in Lamar's camp I say get all you can get. Helps too that it would be much harder for the Ravens to move on from Lamar seeing how they have built and entire offense around his skill set. 

NFL means Not For Long. Look at what Lamar did last year... Lamar reached his ceiling..  somewhere between his mvp season and last season .. It went by stats Allen had way better stats total then Lamar did his mvp season This is a passing QB league not a rushing QB league.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The Ravens are not the same.  Lamar first was set up with an out that he didnt employ an agent.  I think he is too reliable on running.  Good/ great wr are not coming to run block on first down.

care to say the bolded in an English sentence cause none of this makes sense

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

36 TDs in 2019 and. 26 TD in 2020 doesn't sound one-dimensional.   

But he is career 58% passer in the playoffs. How you win MVP and still get steamrolled in the playoffs. How you got 26 TDs but your team is last in passing. Something does add up 

50 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

But he is career 58% passer in the playoffs. How you win MVP and still get steamrolled in the playoffs. How you got 26 TDs but your team is last in passing. Something does add up 

what doesn’t add up? Playoff numbers/results don’t factor into MVP voting. 

43 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Such an odd post.  MVP is a regular season stat.  His real value is his running ability as he's put up back to back 1,000 yard rushing season.  He's won a playoff game so he has that monkey off his back.  Now, get him a new offensive coordinator and continue to upgrade his WR options.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, snowbelt_subie said:

there has to be an end somewhere if it really gets to a point that paying a QB will make you so cap strapped that you cant compete.  some team will come up with a way to build a beast of a team and cycle drafted Qb's on rookie deals and then let them walk.

I mean if someone finds a way to cycle rookie qbs and win in the passing league that is the nfl by all means sign me up. But until then we have to pay the Allen's and the mahomes a boat load of money.

5 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I'm lovin it. Yet, I wonder what would have happened if Doug Whaley was our GM during this time? Scary thought lol

Cheers Beane and Josh! Thank You both!

We all know Whaley signs him......but for more money and less years

Browns fans are right to be worried about what Allen's contract means for their team.  I don't think Mayfield is anywhere near as good as Allen, but he's going to get paid as if he is.  The Browns have a lot more players who think they're deserving of rich-for-life contracts than the Bills do, and there just won't be enough cap space available for the Browns to hold on to all their talent.