Afghanistan

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, B-Man said:

If Joe Biden Doesn’t Change Course, This Will Be His Worst Failure

“The current humanitarian crisis could kill far more Afghans than the past 20 years of war.”

By EZRA KLEIN

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/opinion/afghanistan-starvation-biden.html

This is exactly what I'm talking about regarding crocodile tears over Ukrainians but not a peep for Afghans.  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about regarding crocodile tears over Ukrainians but not a peep for Afghans.  

There is quite a difference between the two.

The Ukrainians are demonstrating intense national pride and defending themselves in every manner possible, and doing a pretty good job getting their story out.

That gets peoples attention and support.

The Afghan military, if ever there was such a thing, never did that.

I was watching a youtube from a guy whose opinion I hold in high regard.

He went on a special forces mission in Afghanistan with US troops.

Long story short, they were with Afghan troops and those folks were asked, "why don't you fight these guys," and the response was, "That's the US' job."

They simply didn't care.

They remain a tribal culture with a "next dollar gets my allegiance," attitude, and no national identity to point to or rally around.

Their light speed collapse proved that.

Loss of life is sad on any scale, but it is human nature to support people you identify with, and I'm not talking race or culture.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

The Ukrainians are demonstrating intense national pride and defending themselves in every manner possible, and doing a pretty good job getting their story out.

Long story short, they were with Afghan troops and those folks were asked, "why don't you fight these guys," and the response was, "That's the US' job."

They simply didn't care.

They remain a tribal culture with a "next dollar gets my allegiance," attitude, and no national identity to point to or rally around.

Loss of life is sad on any scale, but it is human nature to support people you identify with, and I'm not talking race or culture.

And the quick collapse of the Afghani government and army due to Biden's horrible withdrawal might have given Vlad the impression that he could do the same to Ukraine. 

• Agree 1

REALLY? YOU FIND THIS BAFFLING? 

Many baffled by Taliban reneging pledge on girls’ education. 

“The United Nations children’s agency told The Associated Press on Thursday they were blindsided by the announcement.”

Yeah, who could have seen this coming?

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/nation-world/world-baffled-by-taliban-reneging-pledge-on-girls-education/507-77caab05-233d-4b99-a621-e757efd51bea

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 1:32 PM, sherpa said:

They simply didn't care.

There us a big difference. Afghans fighting Afghans. Versus a friendly sovereign nation being overwhelmed by another nation who happens to be spreading Communism. 

The west should be more concerned if the spread.

5 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

There us a big difference. Afghans fighting Afghans. Versus a friendly sovereign nation being overwhelmed by another nation who happens to be spreading Communism. 

The west should be more concerned if the spread.

They're spreading nothing except disdain and repulsion for their gov and their military.

The world's desire to embrace Russian style communism is about as popular as covid.

They are being publicly humiliated across international borders.

This disgraceful exercise is going to cost them dearly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

They're spreading nothing except disdain and repulsion for their gov and their military.

The world's desire to embrace Russian style communism is about as popular as covid.

They are being publicly humiliated across international borders.

This disgraceful exercise is going to cost them dearly. 

There are a few nations who embrace them. They are not humiliated, they cannot be humiliated, they don't think like you. They don't care. People don't want dictators and Communism, it is pushed on them. The court of public opinion has no vote. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, great. Taliban using abandoned biometric data to target Afghan helpers

74895f85-1836-4083-bf58-685e80753dc1-860

It’s long been known that America’s disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan last summer left behind a massive trove of more than seven billion dollars worth of weapons and other military equipment. This has made the Taliban one of the most well-armed military forces in the region. But there were other goodies left behind for the terrorists to rummage through. There were countless computers and other data storage devices. Some of these contained all of the personnel records of our Afghan helpers ranging from translators to teachers and general maintenance workers. Those records included all manner of biometric and personal data such as home addresses and the identity of relatives living in the area. Now the Taliban is using that data to track down the helpers that we left behind and imprison or execute them, and members of the Senate want answers as to how this happened. 

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/05/04/oh-great-taliban-using-abandoned-biometric-data-to-target-afghan-helpers-n466980

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, B-Man said:

If Joe Biden Doesn’t Change Course, This Will Be His Worst Failure

“The current humanitarian crisis could kill far more Afghans than the past 20 years of war.”

By EZRA KLEIN

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/opinion/afghanistan-starvation-biden.html

Let's have a show of hands for those who care! 

It's a dead subject for most of the world. 

A dust bowl who kept Russia and America busy for 40 yrs. Billions of dollars and many lives. Afghan drugs have killed too many lives.

Just another way of looking at the problem. If Afghanistan cared about US they would stop drug trade. If the US cared they would stop the drug trade.

So whose humanitarian crisis is this?

Edited by Niagara Bill

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Let's have a show of hands for those who care! 

It's a dead subject for most of the world. 

A dust bowl who kept Russia and America busy for 40 yrs. Billions of dollars and many lives. Afghan drugs have killed too many lives.

Just another way of looking at the problem. If Afghanistan cared about US they would stop drug trade. If the US cared they would stop the drug trade.

So whose humanitarian crisis is this?

It's kind of everyone's crisis at this point. These are people, Bill.

9 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

It's kind of everyone's crisis at this point. These are people, Bill.

I agree, but these types of crisis happen around the world and Ukraine is more important in status, TODAY. The people who die every day in US are people too. Likely more die daily from drugs than in Afghanistan.