Afghanistan

Why in the hell did we not evacuate our citizens and Afghan allies before we took our troops out?  

I understand the idea that we can’t be there forever and all that.  But I sure as hell don’t agree wit it.  I haven’t agreed with Afghan policy for 20 years.  This is good vs. evil and America is supposed to stand for good.  At least we used to.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Coming from a military family, we've absolutely been training Afghanistan soldiers for years

We weren't fighting afghanistanis, we are fighting the Taliban alongside Afghanistan soldiers that we were training 

Unfortunately like a lot of our military commanders,  generals said, 

There's not much allegiance for those soldiers in the Afghan army.. because the fate of the country is uncertain.. if you don't believe what you're fighting for, cuz you can't see it actually coming to fruition.. 

Then at the first drop of adversity during a battle, they don't hunker down with their brothers and fight... They flee because they'd rather live than die for A cause that they're not sure will happen 

Basically right from the mouth of lieutenant commander and Navy Seal Jocko Willink who trained and fought with these guys for years... Highly decorated ,respected, would be a great future president honestly

That's how he described the situation in Afghanistan

This sounds like the French strategy in both World Wars.  What a mess.  

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

This sounds like the French strategy in both World Wars.  What a mess.  

He led American forces in ramadi iraq the deadliest place in the world at the time ... 

But that's How he described Afghanistan and Iraq basically 

The people we were training, really didn't believe in the cause.. they wanted to be free.. they just didn't believe they could win, especially without America 

Of course there are some valiant soldiers.. but every United States Marine is willing to die for their brother.. that's not the same in the Afghan Iraqi armies

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Two of the most damning things I've read about the US leaving the country that are pinned not on only Biden but the US military are:

1.  We didn't even tell the Afghan military we were leaving.  We just got up and left.  In the middle of night. 

2.  We prohibited contractors from remaining in or entering the country to maintain and repair the helicopters, vehicles, etc.  The Afghans barely knew how to operate them.  Fix them?  Once broken, stays broken.  A helicopter in that environment needs *daily* maintenance just to remain airworthy.  

3.  We did absolutely nothing to ensure the safety of the THOUSANDS of Afghans that worked with us until there were days to go.  

Unless the Trump plan of withdrawal specifically said to do those types of things, that's a disaster that falls on the shoulders of the Pentagon and State.  

#2 is wrong.  We have been training Afghan pilots and maintenance people for at least 10 years and possibly closer to 15 years.  We spent $Billions on aircraft, parts, facilities and training.  Much of this done by Northrup Grumman and very qualified contractors. 

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, I get that. I don't agree with it. All least not all of it.

But doesn't this mean that you should be applauding Biden? He did what Trump promised to do, but Trump didn't deliver on that promise. Biden "put America first" (essentially what Biden was saying in his speech today) rather than some general notion of human rights or even the very specific notion of women's rights in other countries.

So ... it's Two Cheers for Joe????

The agreement to withdraw was done over a year ago and our time was up there.  Joe has had months to orchestrate this AND to push back on the Taliban for violating the agreement.  It makes Joe look very weak as a leader which he is obviously. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

The agreement to withdraw was done over a year ago and our time was up there.  Joe has had months to orchestrate this AND to push back on the Taliban for violating the agreement.  It makes Joe look very weak as a leader which he is obviously. 

Oh, I agree. But Biden is following Trump's script here. Trump's position on Afghanistan was always full withdrawal. So ... why are the Trump supporters complaining? 

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh, I agree. But Biden is following Trump's script here. Trump's position on Afghanistan was always full withdrawal. So ... why are the Trump supporters complaining? 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

REMINDER: Don't bother with your strawmen.................

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Because there is a right way to execute the withdrawal and Dopey, Incompetent,  Demented Biden’s way.  Dude went on vacation during all of this.  We’d be better off with nut job Bernie in there versus this brain dead idiot.  What a mess.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I’m as big a Trump hater as anyone, but you can’t be serious here…. Trump, for all his flaws, would have evacuated people before military and I doubt it would ever have gotten to that.  Trump is many, MANY things.  But his foreign policies and how he handled the Taliban, was some of his best work.  I think we all need to step away from our parties and call this what it is…. A failure of the most deadly proportions, and our President, VP, and their ENTIRE administration including our military leaders, are all 100% at fault, not Trump.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

I’m as big a Trump hater as anyone, but you can’t be serious here…. Trump, for all his flaws, would have evacuated people before military and I doubt it would ever have gotten to that.  Trump is many, MANY things.  But his foreign policies and how he handled the Taliban, was some of his best work.  I think we all need to step away from our parties and call this what it is…. A failure of the most deadly proportions, and our President, VP, and their ENTIRE administration including our military leaders, are all 100% at fault, not Trump.

Total and absolute failure by Demented Biden.  Too brain dead to learn from Benghazi. Go back on vacation Dopey Joe.  We’d be better off with igneous rock as President.  What a mess. 

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is what I don’t get. The GOP was on record saying that they didn’t want to bring these people home 2 weeks ago, and now they’re pretending to be outraged right now.

They aren’t fooling anyone.

Edited by Governor
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm enjoying the hell out of the lefties deflecting, making excuses, and 'trump what abouts' covering for Joe.

Squirming in their seats lol.

It's actually entertaining.

Turns out Joe is actually everything they made up about Trump.

Edited by Unforgiven
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

But he didn’t do that because he didn’t want to pay the political price before an election, then pushed it to the next president, and even went as far as setting land mines for that new president, for him and others including Pompeo.

Voters can see all of this.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Governor said:

This is what I don’t get. The GOP was on record saying that they didn’t want to bring these people home 2 weeks ago, and now they’re pretending to be outraged right now.

They aren’t fooling anyone.

Yeah, why would the GOP have wanted to wait?  Things have been going so well with the withdrawal...

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, I get that. I don't agree with it. All least not all of it.

But doesn't this mean that you should be applauding Biden? He did what Trump promised to do, but Trump didn't deliver on that promise. Biden "put America first" (essentially what Biden was saying in his speech today) rather than some general notion of human rights or even the very specific notion of women's rights in other countries.

So ... it's Two Cheers for Joe????

I am applauding it.  I would love to have all our troops out.  I’ve said as much.  He just did it in a half assed way.  

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

"Reporter," doing her best North Korean News anchor impression says "All Americans will agree with the leader...."

She's pretty hot for an older lady 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, Niagara Bill said:

Not sure about that. 

Was this money for the industrial military complex. Use up some ammo, watch a few die, change places with Russia?, it certainly was not to liberate the Afghanistan people. 

For the second time in 50 years the US is defeated in a foreign war because they are not prepared to win, just compete.

Will we ever understand , do not take sides in a domestic fight.

Not sure I would remotely call this a “domestic fight“.

The attacks of 9/11 were largely coordinated from Afghanistan. The Taliban housed and abetted the terrorists who planned these attacks. The invasion of Afghanistan was logical and in our best interest.

Having said that, it’s shocking that in 20 years we haven’t taught these people to defend themselves and that they rolled over so easily, giving up their freedoms, dignity and a chance of a future. 

Perhaps the next time we choose to invade a country in our self interest, we take it over. Nation building does not appear to work.