Mission Minnesota - The Bills 1991 Preseason

JohnNord

Almost 30 years to the day, channel 4 put out this special in the 1991 preseason called “Mission Minnesota” which covered the Bills preseason and their attempt to return to the Super Bowl.  It hosted by Van Miller who does a really good job 

Among the interesting notes from the 1991 preseason:

The big addition to the lineup was Reggie Rodgers a troubled ex 1st round draft pick who didn’t make the roster.

The Bills went into the season banged up with Kelly, Bruce, and Leon Seals all nursing injuries.

The team was counting on WR Vernon Turner to be the explosive KR that Al Edwards wasn’t.  I don’t think he made the team.

There’s also a fun video about the “new” trend of fantasy football!  Check it out 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• JohnNord changed the title to Mission Minnesota - The Bills 1991 Preseason

1.  I miss Van Miller.

2. Love those old commercials. Cars were really bad then.  

3. All the players seemed hungry for another shot at the SB.  It was fairly unusual for a team that lost a SB the previous year to make it back the next year. It didn't look like any of the players bought into that.

4. Training camp in Fredonia seemed to bring the team together more than holding camp SJF.  I think there was more of an atmosphere where they worked hard during the day, then hit the bars in Fredonia as teammates.  Once the Bills shifted north, they lost that team building, and whether it's coincidence or not, the drought began.  Kudos to McBeane for getting today's team tight and focused.

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Good Lord, how did I get so old?

Frequent doses of Bills football. The stress of watching them miss the playoffs year after year took its toll.  The past couple of years, we've all been getting younger!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Is Manny a playoff team this year?

They had lots of injuries last year and everyone is back healthy.

They had quite the O last season. Running and passing. How did they lose so much!? (7-9)

A: they allowed 479 points! Scored 430....

the Bills for reference: scored: 501 (wow) and allowed 375.....

The Bills will beat that point differential this year.

Minnesota? They're in the week NFC. Have both a run game and pass game. They have a lot of defenders coming back and brought in other D help.... So.... they should be a playoff team this year.....

No?

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

They had quite the O last season. Running and passing. How did they lose so much!? (7-9)

Minnesota? They're in the week NFC. Have both a run game and pass game. They have a lot of defenders coming back and brought in other D help.... So.... they should be a playoff team this year.....

No?

I assume this is a joke?

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

No?

angry clint eastwood GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Anyone know what happened to Reggie Rogers?  It seems that he was a player the Bills brought in to improve the interior DL after getting gashed in SB25.  

Pro Football Reference has him appearing in 2 games for Buffalo and registering 2 sack.  I’m guessing he was cut in season?