Brandon Beane wants cap space ready to go in case veteran they like becomes available

HOUSE

I think tricky Beane likes to troll the fans at times. 
Everyone watching the magic trick of Ertz and boom he pulls the rabbit out of the hat and acquires OJ Howard or Rock Ya-Sin or something out of left field we are not expecting. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Nelson is money well spent by SOMEBODY ELSE

We 'll see. I think he's a good player who's coming off an average year. Not saying he would have fit here but not gonna pretend he sucks.

His two seasons before last years were top 10 in the league imo. QB rating 2019 65.8 2018 72.6 with low comp% and yards/tgt.

I'm not lamenting the Bills not signing him but I think he 'll probably work out just fine for the Eagles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Josh will sign an extension.  It has no impact on the cap this year and very little next

For those who know more about cap numbers than I do, when would we have to start paying on a signing bonus?  I know they spread them out over the length of the contract, but does it spread over the last years of the current contract as well?  In other words, if Josh signs tomorrow and gets an 8 year extension with an 80 million signing bonus (a crazy number, I know...Mahomes only got 10 million...but I am using a number that makes the math easy) would they pay 10 million a year starting in two years when the extension starts or 8 million a year starting this year and spread out over 10 years.

6 hours ago, nucci said:

I think every team wants to be able to do this

This is true. Not all of them manage, but if  you do, it's ideal.

And if you get the space, you might easily never use it, and it gets rolled over to next year. Either way, no problem.

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

For those who know more about cap numbers than I do, when would we have to start paying on a signing bonus?  I know they spread them out over the length of the contract, but does it spread over the last years of the current contract as well?  In other words, if Josh signs tomorrow and gets an 8 year extension with an 80 million signing bonus (a crazy number, I know...Mahomes only got 10 million...but I am using a number that makes the math easy) would they pay 10 million a year starting in two years when the extension starts or 8 million a year starting this year and spread out over 10 years.

"Signing bonus: Money earned by a player for signing his contract. Typically paid out within the first 12-18 months. Prorated against the salary cap for the life of the contract (five-season maximum). This is how the Cowboys could afford to give Dak Prescott a $66 million signing bonus this offseason. For cap purposes, Prescott's signing bonus counts for $13.2 million against the Cowboys' salary cap for each of the next five seasons (four-year contract plus 2025, a void year)."

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

It can't be counted against the cap till it's actually paid out, but can then be prorated for five years after that.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I think tricky Beane likes to troll the fans at times. 
Everyone watching the magic trick of Ertz and boom he pulls the rabbit out of the hat and acquires OJ Howard or Rock Ya-Sin or something out of left field we are not expecting. 

That would be the bomb!!! **** Ertz at this point. Take your stupid yellow hair and your broke ass body and rot in the city of the ***** brotherly dogcrap. Howard or RYS would both be way better options!!!

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

That would be the bomb!!! **** Ertz at this point. Take your stupid yellow hair and your broke ass body and rot in the city of the ***** brotherly dogcrap. Howard or RYS would both be way better options!!!

Sometimes the obvious choice is never really a choice at all. 
I like to pride myself as someone who thinks outside the box, and I do enjoy browsing other teams and where their depth is. I don’t think RYS is a real option but Indy has some really decent corners and they could use offensive linemen and a defensive end wouldn’t hurt them either and we can afford to part with a guy or two. 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Signing bonus: Money earned by a player for signing his contract. Typically paid out within the first 12-18 months. Prorated against the salary cap for the life of the contract (five-season maximum). This is how the Cowboys could afford to give Dak Prescott a $66 million signing bonus this offseason. For cap purposes, Prescott's signing bonus counts for $13.2 million against the Cowboys' salary cap for each of the next five seasons (four-year contract plus 2025, a void year)."

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

It can't be counted against the cap till it's actually paid out, but can then be prorated for five years after that.

Got it, I think.  So, if Allen signs tomorrow, it sounds like part of that cap room could go toward the first year of the signing bonus, right?  They could do something similar to what Dallas did with Dak.

19 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Prior to training camp, general manager Brandon Beane spoke to media to address many of the most pressing topics for the Buffalo Bills. The Bills’ current cap space was brought up, but primarily in the context of the general consensus that Buffalo may want to add to the tight end group.

Specifically, Beane was asked: “With the salary cap space that you do have available, do you foresee potentially something happening with a veteran player, perhaps adding to that position [tight end] before the start of the regular season?”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/8/4/22608637/brandon-beane-wants-cap-space-ready-to-go-in-case-veteran-they-like-becomes-available-bills

Beane always has cap space late into the summer but he’s pretty judicious with it because I can’t remember the Bills making a big addition to the roster right before Week 1.  

It seems to me that he tends to re-sign players late in August like White and Dawkins.