Brandon Beane wants cap space ready to go in case veteran they like becomes available

48 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I wouldn’t rule out a player trade where the bills absorb a higher cap number, hence using any extra space Beane was referring to. I don’t mean Ertz btw… but potentially I could see Beane moving OL/DL depth in exchange for a guy who could come in and fill a specific role they want. 

While I completely agree with the concept, the Bills roster is pretty strong all around, can't imagine any team giving up on a player and that player still being good enough to improve the Bills roster other than maybe Ertz.  Maybe a backup OT as read Hart is struggling but even then would likely mean cutting either one of the rookies they drafted or Bates or Bottinger to make room for him?? 

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While I completely agree with the concept, the Bills roster is pretty strong all around, can't imagine any team giving up on a player and that player still being good enough to improve the Bills roster other than maybe Ertz.  Maybe a backup OT as read Hart is struggling but even then would likely mean cutting either one of the rookies they drafted or Bates or Bottinger to make room for him?? 

Cap Casualties will happen....Ertz will be one of them

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The only problem is we may have to outbid teams like the Jaguars and Broncos who have $25 Million+ in cap room. Our team's success makes Buffalo more attractive to free agents, but if the Jags offer a player a huge guaranteed contract, not many would turn that down.

1 minute ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The only problem is we may have to outbid teams like the Jaguars and Broncos who have $25 Million+ in cap room. Our team's success makes Buffalo more attractive to free agents, but if the Jags offer a player a huge guaranteed contract, not many would turn that down.

If you sign with a team because of the big money, you won't fit in Buffalo anway

52 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’d take McCaffrey off the Panther’s hands.  They can have Addison back and a 5th rounder next year 😂

Heck, I'd throw in Butler, and even Star if they asked all politely...

31 minutes ago, Rico said:

Don’t forget Sills V.

I wonder where he was in that Giants pile:wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Cap Casualties will happen....Ertz will be one of them

Agree about cap casualties who get cut, but the other poster was talking about a trade.  Can't see many players out there good enough to improve the Bills roster overall, but another team giving up on that same player.  Other than someone like Ertz.  In other cases teams will usually just wait it out till he's cut.

This is SOP for any team that is well run, Beane knows what he is up to, that and if they don’t have to spend it..,., hookers and blow baby, hookers and blow, 

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

Beane always seems to be prepared for just about any situation / outcome.  At least that's how it appears from the outside - sounds like he wanted to make sure they maintained a cushion for any late training camp issue / injury / cost-cutting drop by another team.

Wonder if that plays at all into the Josh contract issue ???   The cap experts will know way better than me.

Josh will sign an extension.  It has no impact on the cap this year and very little next

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Georgie said:

Beane tries to do this every year. Its a good idea to have that money in case somebody useful becomes available.

I'm not worried about Allen because his new money won't kick in THIS season.

Kind of sorry they missed out on Nelson 

Nelson is money well spent by SOMEBODY ELSE

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Prior to training camp, general manager Brandon Beane spoke to media to address many of the most pressing topics for the Buffalo Bills. The Bills’ current cap space was brought up, but primarily in the context of the general consensus that Buffalo may want to add to the tight end group.

Specifically, Beane was asked: “With the salary cap space that you do have available, do you foresee potentially something happening with a veteran player, perhaps adding to that position [tight end] before the start of the regular season?”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/8/4/22608637/brandon-beane-wants-cap-space-ready-to-go-in-case-veteran-they-like-becomes-available-bills

Of course we all know this is just space for Ertz when the Eagles release him 🙄