NJ Giants brawl at training camp - Daniel Jones at bottom of the pile

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Confused Little Girl GIF

Deion Sanders just had a meltdown about the same thing now that he is coaching a college team. Told the media they wouldn't call Coach Saban "Nick", and the media were like "uhh, we do all the time".

That kind of demand reeks of insecurity and demanding respect instead of being able to earn it.

Giants coaching search begins now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Deion Sanders just had a meltdown about the same thing now that he is coaching a college team. Told the media they wouldn't call Coach Saban "Nick", and the media were like "uhh, we do all the time".

That kind of demand reeks of insecurity and demanding respect instead of being able to earn it.

Giants coaching search begins now.

I was just thinking about that - has anyone on the Bills staff ever made a similar request?

It seems to me that the Bills coaches make a point of learning the reporters' names and I can recall mostly calling them by their first names, usually asking something about them - "How are you doing?" type thing - but I can't recall how the reporters address the coaches.

Guess I'll have to pay attention.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was just thinking about that - has anyone on the Bills staff ever made a similar request?

It seems to me that the Bills coaches make a point of learning the reporters' names and I can recall mostly calling them by their first names, usually asking something about them - "How are you doing?" type thing - but I can't recall how the reporters address the coaches.

Guess I'll have to pay attention.

Sal on WGR was talking about this yesterday.  

He - having grown up playing and coaching at different levels - said he typically addresses the staff as Coach so&so or just coach, but when addressed by his first name will on occasion respond with the coaches name - such as Sean.  

Several other media members use first name only as the staff they are talking with are not their coach it is Sean McDermott - coach of the Bills.  

Both seem acceptable as the staff has responded perfectly fine to either.

Sal said he sometimes gets ribbed by other Media members for calling them coach, but he sees it as a sign of respect for what they have earned - much like calling someone Doctor as a sign of respect.

He was also quick to point out that any coach (Garett/Deion) requesting to be called coach is a terrible look because that takes it out of personal discussion and basically says “I think I am better” and that leads to unhealthy interactions where the Media is going in more antagonistic.  Basically - it is an asinine hill to die on - be better and let it go - even if you think you deserve that respect.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, we may have had as much of a “brawl” when Ed Oliver and Spencer Brown went at it:

The differences being: 

1) Allen wasn’t involved, which is a testament to either his good sense or his teammates holding “The Franchise” out of it

2) The players evidently broke it up themselves pretty quickly.  Ed Oliver referred to it as “just a little scuffle, competition, you know” and said “we might go eat together”.  Anything the coaches had to say about it was left private.

I can’t help wondering if Joe Judge magnified and focused attention on it by his reaction vs. keeping the coaches focus on what the players are doing right

Two players going at it with other teammates breaking it up isn't even close to the whole team going at it.  Much less the QB also diving into the pile. 

11 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Wow looks like Judge is rubbing off on Garrett. Maybe Garrett is starting to think he needs to be a little more of a hardass to be a better coach

Or maybe he's playing the Todd Hayley game and pushing along Judge's own demise so he can step in as interim HC once Judge is fired.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Two players going at it with other teammates breaking it up isn't even close to the whole team going at it.  Much less the QB also diving into the pile. 

There was a description of "a big pile of large people" before it was broken up, which is not quite the same thing as "two people then other teammates breaking it up".

Agree that the QB not diving into it is a difference.

Another difference is that if the coaches had anything to say about it, they said it calmly, quietly, and in private - not the terrible "mixed message" of yelling abuse and calling for gassers and pushups and more gassers and more pushups, then being quoted the next day as "It turned me on"

The dissonance between the two messages is absolutely bogus