Official Whiskey of the Buffalo Bills

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Hmmm.  Hefe’s are tough because there’s not many of them on the craft scene.  Franziskaner is a really nice example of the style IIRC.  So are some of the other German imports.  It’s tough to get them fresh though.

In the US market I’ve heard that Live Oak (Texas) has a great one (as well as other beers) but I’ve never had it.  It’s a tough style for craft breweries to make money on since it takes specialized yeast and it’s usually not a big seller.  Yeast is very expensive so the one way breweries can maximize profits without raising prices or cutting corners is to crop yeast and get multiple uses from one batch.  That’s just not feasible with hefeweizens.

Sorry I can’t be more help, but it’s not my favorite style and it’s been a long time since I’ve had one.  My go to craft wheat beers are American Wheat beers.  I like Oberon from Bell’s and Gumballhead from Three Floyd’s.  But they’re not going to taste like a hefe. 

thanks.  Great insight and answers why I don’t see more in the US. In terms of wheat I also like Bells.  Will have to try Three Floyd’s.  I also like Troges Dreamweaver.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

thanks.  Great insight and answers why I don’t see more in the US. In terms of wheat I also like Bells.  Will have to try Three Floyd’s.  I also like Troges Dreamweaver.  

Agree on Dreamweaver.  Aventinus is a great wheat beer too.  It’s a wheat doppelbock.  Higher ABV so be careful.  It’s delicious so it’s easy to get into trouble. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There is no official Buffalo Bills liquor until it's been in Pinto's bowling ball!  

will that be a thing this season???

If so, might be the year I finally partake.  I chickened out at my two Hammer Lot tailgates in 2019.