Official Whiskey of the Buffalo Bills

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I dunno..Tennessee Caramel Whiskey might be one of the best things I have ever tasted in my entire life. I'd much prefer that than some $1000 bottle I can barely stomach sipping because "connoisseurs" claim it's really good because some famous Earl back in 1700 England decided to make it in his cellar.

I’m not talking about the pretentious BS that’s out there.  Just well made products that show craftsmanship.  I was a home brewer for 20 years, a professional brewer for 3 and a certified BJCP beer judge for 8.  The turn in the market is a big reason why I walked away from the industry instead of opening my own brewpub.

In the end, to each their own.  You should drink what you enjoy.  I usually only ruin things like flavored beverages for people after they ask me about it and are fairly warned.  (I do the same with food.)  I really enjoyed the educational part of what the industry was like.  You really can’t enjoy something like a great drink or food unless you understand it.  But unfortunately that’s not what usually sells. 

10 minutes ago, eball said:

old man.jpg

Indeed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m not talking about the pretentious BS that’s out there.  Just well made products that show craftsmanship.  I was a home brewer for 20 years, a professional brewer for 3 and a certified BJCP beer judge for 8.  The turn in the market is a big reason why I walked away from the industry instead of opening my own brewpub.

In the end, to each their own.  You should drink what you enjoy.  I usually only ruin things like flavored beverages for people after they ask me about it and are fairly warned.  (I do the same with food.)  I really enjoyed the educational part of what the industry was like.  You really can’t enjoy something like a great drink or food unless you understand it.  But unfortunately that’s not what usually sells. 

As a beer snob myself I applaud your creds!  How long and how difficult was it to become certified?  I assume there is quite a bit of testing - both knowledge and taste correct??

7 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

As a beer snob myself I applaud your creds!  How long and how difficult was it to become certified?  I assume there is quite a bit of testing - both knowledge and taste correct??

Thanks!  I suggest hooking up with a local club with active judges.  I joined the Niagara Association of Homebrewers (NAH) which is in the North towns.  South Buffalo has Sultans of Swig.  There are a few others, including the Goddesses which is all female.  Some of judges at NAH (along with some Sultans) periodically run a tasting class that preps you for the certification test.  I’m sure other clubs do that too if you are not local.  That tasting exam is no joke so some real preparation is in order.  There are a lot of local judges in the clubs who can help you and they are nice/good people to a person.

The BJCP test differs from the Cicerone test in that BJCP is beer back and Cicerone is beer forward.  Both involve a lot of tasting and critique of beer.  BJCP then focuses on being able to discern why the beer tastes like it does - especially where flaws are concerned - and what the brewer did and should change to correct any flaws.  It sounds worse than it is, but the test is not easy.  Cicerones are more concerned with beer forward stuff: proper storage, dispensing techniques, glassware, pairings, etc.  Good luck and PM me if you need any help. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thanks!  I suggest hooking up with a local club with active judges.  I joined the Niagara Association of Homebrewers (NAH) which is in the North towns.  South Buffalo has Sultans of Swig.  There are a few others, including the Goddesses which is all female.  Some of judges at NAH (along with some Sultans) periodically run a tasting class that preps you for the certification test.  I’m sure other clubs do that too if you are not local.  That tasting exam is no joke so some real preparation is in order.  There are a lot of local judges in the clubs who can help you and they are nice/good people to a person.

The BJCP test differs from the Cicerone test in that BJCP is beer back and Cicerone is beer forward.  Both involve a lot of tasting and critique of beer.  BJCP then focuses on being able to discern why the beer tastes like it does - especially where flaws are concerned - and what the brewer did and should change to correct any flaws.  It sounds worse than it is, but the test is not easy.  Cicerones are more concerned with beer forward stuff: proper storage, dispensing techniques, glassware, pairings, etc.  Good luck and PM me if you need any help. 

So let me get this straight...I am supposed to be "taught" what I should like?

How about I just buy what tastes good? I mean nobody is about to get me to like Brussel Sprouts just by trying to teach me what to look for in one...

And honestly if these new things are selling maybe it's because a vast portion of people like how it tastes.

Personally I think whiskey is nasty outside the flavored ones I have had(especially the caramel one). Why would I pay extra money to drink something that tastes disgusting to me just because someone tells me I should like it?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I hate that stuff.  Pretty nasty 

Real men and women don’t put candy in their whiskey 🥃 that’s amateur hour stuff, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Wow - awesome!!  Thanks for the info.  Down here in Floriduh I am not aware of any clubs BUT Google is my friend - Thanks again for the offer!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Got skrewball one time on vacation while looking for something new to try. I didn't realize it was peanut butter flavor until the guy at the register said he really likes the stuff and it's even better mixed with some other liquor to make PBJ shots. At that point I didn't want to be a dick and say peanut butter flavored whiskey sounds ***** terrible, so I got it. 

I should have been a dick, stuff is not for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So let me get this straight...I am supposed to be "taught" what I should like?

How about I just buy what tastes good? I mean nobody is about to get me to like Brussel Sprouts just by trying to teach me what to look for in one...

And honestly if these new things are selling maybe it's because a vast portion of people like how it tastes.

Personally I think whiskey is nasty outside the flavored ones I have had(especially the caramel one). Why would I pay extra money to drink something that tastes disgusting to me just because someone tells me I should like it?

No.  That’s absolutely not what I said.  Education is not indoctrination.  I have fellow beer judges that I very much disagree with on some beers due to preference.  But when you know how something is supposed to taste and also exactly what it is you are tasting, then you can enjoy well made food and drink more.  Sure, it can ruin some things, but you don’t have to analyze everything you eat or drink.  The upside is that when you do have something that is well made, you can really enjoy and fully appreciate it.  You don’t get snowed by overpriced and overhyped crap either.  Instead you can recognize bargains and go after them.  Personally, that’s my favorite. Find the $15 bottle of wine that drinks like a $40 bottle.  Or the beer that costs $10-$12 a six pack that’s better than the $18 four packs  or the $20-$30 single 22 oz or 750 ml bottle.  That’s what I’m saying.

• Thank you (+1) 2