List of Bills QBs during the Desolation

On 8/5/2021 at 11:52 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Tyrod was my favorite. Bledsoe was objectively the best.

Tyrod is back with David Culley as his head coach. Who knows what happens with Deshaun Watson? And Davis Mills certainly isn't ready to start. It's very possible Tyrod plays and leads that tanking team to a 7-9 record or something like that. Hey, his strangely adequate play didn't destroy the Bills' rebuild after all. Maybe he'll do the same in Houston. Just not on Week 4 at Buffalo please.

(But I'm hoping he trots out on the field to a huge ovation!)

Houstons defense is largely the same or worse, and it was arguably the worst unit in the league a year ago.  4-12 with Watson might be 2-14 with a QB who can't get it done in a close 4th quarter.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Damian said:

Did Billy Joe Hobert ever play?

He played and did not know the plays, which was mentioned earlier. I was told by a member of the front office that they cut him before the next practice partially for his own safety- the OL apparently stated out loud they might block so well for him in a game situation. Most likely the Line would have done it's job but even the threat is bad.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for the list. When you see it laid out that way there was actually more consistency than I remember. Bledsoe, Fitz, Tyrod and Losman all had longer runs at the starting job than most would think.  Were they Tom Brady? No....but who is? The problem the Bills had was that they never totally tanked. So year after year there was a glimmer of hope and a middle of the pack finish that had them drafting likewise, in the middle of the First Round.  Sigh! 

Maybe, but ownership and the front office were the real problem. The Steelers ended up with Big Ben without tanking. There’s also plenty of ways to move up in the draft. We were an inept franchise, and I’m not sure I can blame all the failure on the misfortune of never tanking. 

On 8/4/2021 at 3:31 PM, Dr. K said:

Everybody always says this, but he had his best game as a pro against San Diego in his first start AFTER the Cards game. 

Look it up. .

Additionally, it’s not like Edwards played all that well in games he won early in his career. They were mostly defensive struggles where he played a game manager role. Bills fans were searching so desperately for a light at the end of the tunnel. Edwards not being a complete disaster made people overrate him. The bar was set low to the point that a game manager who won a few games was viewed as a savior. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only QB of that group that I genuinely enjoyed watching from beginning to end was Fitz.   I did not think he was a star, but always felt like he was likeable and made the most out of his opportunities given who he had to throw to most of the time.  Of the rest,  Peterman and Tuel were the hardest to watch.   Many of the others would show flashes of promise in the beginning that gave me hope, but either never get better or badly regress.

Edited by dgrochester55

8 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Additionally, it’s not like Edwards played all that well in games he won early in his career. They were mostly defensive struggles where he played a game manager role. Bills fans were searching so desperately for a light at the end of the tunnel. Edwards not being a complete disaster made people overrate him. The bar was set low to the point that a game manager who won a few games was viewed as a savior. 

Yeah Edwards was just super overrated and basically a backup at best 

To think that your career could be ruined over one hit.. you don't got the toughness to play quarterback then

Let alone that his best  game was coming back from the concussion... He was just a average quarterback that got figured out and never got better

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah Edwards was just super overrated and basically a backup at best 

To think that your career could be ruined over one hit.. you don't got the toughness to play quarterback then

Let alone that his best  game was coming back from the concussion... He was just a average quarterback that got figured out and never got better

Yea he was like many other limited game manager types who have some early success - I always think of Austin Davis when he ended up playing a few games for the Rams and then Kyle Allen for the Panthers the other year. They have early success until the league sees their limitations and then suddenly they look awful. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he was like many other limited game manager types who have some early success - I always think of Austin Davis when he ended up playing a few games for the Rams and then Kyle Allen for the Panthers the other year. They have early success until the league sees their limitations and then suddenly they look awful. 

Absolutely... Nice seeing you Gunner... 

I think me and possibly Ryan Day are the only people up right now watching game film at 5:00 a.m. eastern standard time 

My sleep schedule is messed up

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely... Nice seeing you Gunner... 

I think me and possibly Ryan Day are the only people up right now watching game film at 5:00 a.m. eastern standard time 

My sleep schedule is messed up

Ha. It is well into the day this side of the pond.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

I remember that before Peterman's 1st start in LA there were posts across various Bills message boards, including here, where fans were talking of Peterman being so good that the Bills wouldn't have to use a draft pick on a QB and could use all those picks in the 1st & 2nd round to build the team around the latest savior, Nathan Peterman.  They clearly thought he was an upgrade from Tyrod.  My position was that I was very skeptical of Peterman & before his 1st start I started calling him Nathan Marangi.  I was at the LA game & at halftime I found a quiet spot away from the stands to call my friend Petrino & laugh at Peterman.  One game wasn't enough & he ruined another road trip for me by starting the Baltimore 2018 season opener.  I was so glad when Josh came in, in the 2nd half.  The only game he wasn't a total disaster was the snow game vs Indy that I never saw because I was in the hospital & the Bills weren't on TV in Albany that day.  For the record, it wasn't Peterman's play in LA that put me in the hospital that December.  😄

Here's a good one from the archives: 11/15/2017 - The day that changed the entire course of history for this franchise - The Stadium Wall Archives - Two Bills Drive

I found this on another board dated 11/19/2017

To: Gary Marangi
Dear Mr. Marangi, please accept my apologies for comparing Nate Peterman to you. You were a much better QB. I will never call him Nathan Marangi again, his new name is Nathan 1987 Manucci. He has now attained the status of being compared with a strike player who threw 0 TDs & 2 INTs with a 3.8 passer rating in a strike game.

I was at the LA game too. Flew down for my birthday. I left at halftime and threw my hat in the garbage walking out. Dumbest coaching decision McD has ever made.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was at the LA game too. Flew down for my birthday. I left at halftime and threw my hat in the garbage walking out. Dumbest coaching decision McD has ever made.

I went because I have a college friend in Orange County and I was going to the SF-Oakland Bay area for Thanksgiving & detoured to So. Cal before heading north to visit family.  We had gone to a (non Bills) game in San Diego in a prior season when the Chargers played in SD.  

You weren't the only one who left.  In the 3rd or 4th quarter we moved from our endzone seats to the sidelines & watched the rest of the game from the good seats that fans had vacated.  

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I went because I have a college friend in Orange County and I was going to the SF-Oakland Bay area for Thanksgiving & detoured to So. Cal before heading north to visit family.  We had gone to a (non Bills) game in San Diego in a prior season when the Chargers played in SD.  

You weren't the only one who left.  In the 3rd or 4th quarter we moved from our endzone seats to the sidelines & watched the rest of the game from the good seats that fans had vacated.  

Never made it to a game in San Diego.  May go to baseball game at some point 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Never made it to a game in San Diego.  May go to baseball game at some point 

I've been to every current MLB baseball & NFL football stadium in California except SoFi Stadium & I'm hoping to be there next February to see the Bills play there.  I never went to the LA Colliseum or Candlestick Park, but I've seen the Raiders in Oakland & the Chargers in LA & SD among stadiums no longer used.  I've also seen the Warriors in Oakland & the new arena in SF where I was literally in the front row.