List of Bills QBs during the Desolation

Of the drought QBs I saw (so from 02 onwards) I think the first season of Beldsoe was probably the best single season but he deteriorated quickly. The best Quarterback of the drought era was Fitz. I think had Fitz played on some of the better drought rosters he'd have maybe got us to the playoffs. Second best was Tyrod (maybe he shouldn't be considered drought era as he was the Quarterback of the drought breakers?) but I found him beyond frustrating to watch.

• Agree 2

I remember that stretch from 2013 to 2015 it seem like we couldn't get pass KC and it was frustrating because it felt like we could win each time especially in 2014 and 2015 when we was tied in the standings each time.

2013 Jeff Tuel 13-23 Tuel thows int in the end zone right when was going to score to take a commanding lead

2014 Kyle Orton 13-17 Jamal Charles broke a long TD run on 3rd down and short

2015 Tyrod 22-30. Tyrod almost throws for 300

Edited by Protocal69

20 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Anyone remember Craig Nall? I think we only had him for a year after being Favre's backup. It's so refreshing that the qb carousel has stopped.

For so many years we tried to find a starting qb in another team's trash heap (this strategy did pan out with Tyrod and Fitz to some degree)

Oh yeah. How about Gibran Hamdan?

20 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

My attempt at a ranking, best to worst:

1. Drew Bledsoe
  2. Ryan Fitzpatrick
  3. Doug Flutie
  4. Tyrod Taylor
  5. Rob Johnson
  6. Trent Edwards
  7. JP Losman
  8. Kyle Orton
  9. Thad Lewis
  10. Jeff Tuel
  11. Kelly Holcomb
  12. Brian Brohm
  13. EJ Manuel

126. Nathan Peterman

The dark days are over my friends.

(Sorry, don't remember the likes of Todd Collins or Alex Van Pelt.)

as a pure passer i would probably put Orton under or tied with Flutie.     He came in washed up and off his couch and still the first time he played i was like...

" OH...thats what a qb is supposed to look like..it was night and day different that what we had on the field for awhile. 

• Agree 1

I recall watching our savior Trent Edward's in October game at home his first year.

I told my son who was sitting in the seat next to me....Edwards would never be a qb in Buffalo. At a time out he went to the sidelines to speak to coaches, as they gathered together to review strategy he left the group to get a coat, something no one else needed in that huddle. In a time when concentration and leadership for the game was needed  he selfishly concentrated on his own comfort. And this was October cold,  not Dec.  

In contrast to Jim K, following retirement taking his coat off, twirling it over his head, on the sidelines vs Miami as the snow squall entered the stadium signifying the end of the Dolphins that day.

Snow and cold are our allies and advantage as much as heat and humidity are to some teams. 

Edwards was too weak to be a leader of men.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ganesh said:

Espn showed this in the 2018 draft when Josh was drafted.  

there were 17QBs who started between Kelly and Josh.  

the number of drought years was 17 

josh Allen wears the # 17

coincidence or destiny ??  

Josh was also picked round 1 number 7

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:37 AM, RobbRiddick said:

Tuel time baby! He seems longer ago than 2013.

There's some in there I had hopes for. JP I think would be better now with the offenses we have. He could move a bit and had a hell of a deep ball. The intermediate stuff was what screwed him.

EJ I never thought would amount to anything, hated the way he seemed to push his throws towards players, almost like darts. 

Tyrod drove me crazy with his unwillingness to pass more than five yards beyond the LOS, though he carved out quite the rep amongst the media as being the guy who doesn't turn it over.

Trent was good for a short while until he got knocked out and we had fun blaming his regression on the concussion for many years.

Drew was exciting for a season or so, then we got frustrated with his cement feet.

Van Pelt looks better as a pot bellied sideline stroller than he did as a QB

Rob Johnson's best moment was leading us to FG range with one shoe, just before the music city miracle

Douglas Flutie was probably the most entertaining out of that bunch. Loved watching him play

Fitz was fun and frustrating week to week. He did beat the Pats though.

All said it's a lot of crap we've had to put up with. Look at that list and you can see why Allen is so popular

Tuel - Gross.

JP - Hated him from Day 1 and he didn't disappoint.

EJ - Likeable enough guy but didn't have it between the ears.  Didn't seem to have the heart and passion for football either.  

Tyrod - Much like EJ, he didnt have the brain to excel.  Probably the best of this bunch though, guy had heart and worked his ass off.

Trent - I don't believe in the "what he couldve been had he not been hurt".  He was always going to end up the way he did

Drew - The teams inability to keep the unit together was his undoing more than his feet.  Price and Riemersma gone after 2002.  Then Ruben.  Drafting Mcgahee in 2003 knowing he won't play, and thus putting your back in a lameduck position.  Just a mess.  

Van Pelt - I don't remember him ever playing so i must have tuned out

RJ - Sack city

Flutie - Good football player with limited natural gifts.  

Fitz - I think we all knew the extension was a bad choice.  They picked 10 in 2012 and the 6 picks after luck were all traded.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Besides the corpse of Drew bledsoe, the best quarterback on that list is Ryan Fitzpatrick

are you judging by how he plays now or how he played when he was with us?   I feel he raised his game quite a bit later in his career.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

are you judging by how he plays now or how he played when he was with us?   I feel he raised his game quite a bit later in his career.

Fitz was just as good here as he always was.. when we had him he was absolutely our best quarterback since Kelly ... problem Is we had a dog s*** team.. and he's not good enough to overcome that

So he can move the ball and throw touchdowns, but he's always been turnover prone especially with less of a cast around them

He made an unknown 7th round pick Stevie Johnson into a household name... He was throwing to undrafted David Jones who was his Z receiver .. Undrafted David Nelson... Waiver wire Scott Chandler... brad Smith 

We  were a rebuilding team ,  rebuilding an offense and defense... And Fitz actually made that ship a lot smoother than what it should have been 

We could have had the number one pick multiple times during that and fitz always squeaked out five six wins.. he played well above the team talent... We started 0-8 his first year here when he was back up... He finished four and four on a crap team

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fitz was just as good here as he always was.. when we had him he was absolutely our best quarterback since Kelly ... problem Is we had a dog s*** team.. and he's not good enough to overcome that

So he can move the ball and throw touchdowns, but he's always been turnover prone especially with less of a cast around them

He made an unknown 7th round pick Stevie Johnson into a household name... He was throwing to undrafted David Jones who was his Z receiver .. Undrafted David Nelson... Waiver wire Scott Chandler... brad Smith 

We  were a rebuilding team ,  rebuilding an offense and defense... And Fitz actually made that ship a lot smoother than what it should have been 

We could have had the number one pick multiple times during that and fitz always squeaked out five six wins.. he played well above the team talent

good point... it always seemed to me that once he left he got better but as you said..he did have better talent around him as well.   

thanks for your input.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Yeah, I really thought Edwards was going to be “the one.” He was never the same after that brutal hit in the Cards game.

Everybody always says this, but he had his best game as a pro against San Diego in his first start AFTER the Cards game. 

Look it up. .

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, foreboding said:

I was trying to remember all the QBs who started for our team has had since Jim Kelly and before Josh Allen. The list was even longer than I thought, the number in parenthesis is the number of games started by said QB. Not far off from a QB per year since. Crazy and glad the desolation is over.

1997 Todd Collins (13) / Alex Van Pelt (3)

1998 Doug Flutie (10) / Rob Johnson (6)

1999 Doug Flutie (15) / Rob Johnson (1)

2000 Rob Johnson (11) / Doug Flutie (5)

2001 Alex Van Pelt (8) / Rob Johnson (8)

2002 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2003 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2004 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2005 J. P. Losman (8) / Kelly Holcomb (8)

2006 J. P. Losman (16)

2007 Trent Edwards (9) / J. P. Losman (7)

2008 Trent Edwards (14) / J. P. Losman (2)

2009 Ryan Fitzpatrick (8) / Trent Edwards (7) / Brian Brohm (1)

2010 Ryan Fitzpatrick (13) / Trent Edwards (2) / Brian Brohm (1)

2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2013 EJ Manuel (10) / Thad Lewis (5) / Jeff Tuel (1)

2014 Kyle Orton (12) / EJ Manuel (4)

2015 Tyrod Taylor (14) / EJ Manuel (2)

2016 Tyrod Taylor (15) / EJ Manuel (1)

2017 Tyrod Taylor (14) / Nathan Peterman (2)

some things Josh Allen wont do that some of these characters did.. 

1. Slide behind the line with little threat of being touched (Edwards)

2. Runs out of our own end zone (JP Losman)

3. 10 straight throws with no player close (Fitzmagic to Fitztragic)

4. Not able to throw past 10 yards with much accuracy (Kyle Orton)

5. Lines up behind the Guard! (Tyrod Taylor)

6. 44 passes thrown for under 50% (EJ Manuel

7. 5 INT in one half of play (Peterman)

8. Fourth and a foot.. QB cant sneak the ball.. Most of them.

I could go on with the list but you all get the point. We Have Josh Allen... Can we drop the nightmares and enjoy our future dreams? thanks..

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

some things Josh Allen wont do that some of these characters did.. 

1. Slide behind the line with little threat of being touched (Edwards)

2. Runs out of our own end zone (JP Losman)

3. 10 straight throws with no player close (Fitzmagic to Fitztragic)

4. Not able to throw past 10 yards with much accuracy (Kyle Orton)

5. Lines up behind the Guard! (Tyrod Taylor)

6. 44 passes thrown for under 50% (EJ Manuel

7. 5 INT in one half of play (Peterman)

8. Fourth and a foot.. QB cant sneak the ball.. Most of them.

I could go on with the list but you all get the point. We Have Josh Allen... Can we drop the nightmares and enjoy our future dreams? thanks..

Don’t forget:

9. Throw it out of bounds on 4th down at the end of a close game that the Bills lost. (Brain Dead Drew vs. Eagles, 2003)

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Don’t forget:

9. Throw it out of bounds on 4th down at the end of a close game that the Bills lost. (Brain Dead Drew vs. Eagles, 2003)

this list can go on and on.. Point being made.. we have our guy.. lets just enjoy the future.. going to be great