List of Bills QBs during the Desolation

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Donuts, I’m more of a Flutie guy than most.  He gave us some glimmer of hope when it was clear Collins and Van Pelt weren’t going to do it.  He also came in when RJ was 0-3 and won us a bunch of games.

I know he was only going to take us so far, but still reminisce that if he was in against TN, if we could’ve beaten them.  That defense was #1, and they made it to the SB.

Im not sure the intentions of again reminiscing the drought years.  Sometimes I question intentions here. I’ll take foreboding at his word he just maybe wants us to remember how special it is to have Allen.  Glass half full.

Nicely said, Guns.

A man who is among the top QBs in this Franchise's history (8th in TD passes and yards thrown...30 games, mind you, and highest career winning percentage for any Bills QB starting at least 16 games) deserves to be around a bit more and get a bit more praise.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

Nobody remembers Thad Lewis?  I was so battered by Bills football at the time, for a few weeks there, when he started, I thought "finally the Bills strike gold"! :)

Thad Lewis looked better at QB than EJ ever did.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Damian said:

Did Billy Joe Hobert ever play?

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

He did mop up duty once and it was discovered he never even opened the playbook.

Not exactly mop up duty, Collins was injured in the first quarter and Hobert played the rest of the game clueless. Admitted to not studying the playbook on Monday,. released on Wednesday

3 hours ago, P Riv said:

As I recall the running joke during that period.... Which QB had the most home wins in Buffalo?  Tom Brady..... 🤪

Not really a joke, Brady had the most wins in Buffalo between 2001 and 2019:wallbash:

My attempt at a ranking, best to worst:

1. Drew Bledsoe
  2. Ryan Fitzpatrick
  3. Doug Flutie
  4. Tyrod Taylor
  5. Rob Johnson
  6. Trent Edwards
  7. JP Losman
  8. Kyle Orton
  9. Thad Lewis
  10. Jeff Tuel
  11. Kelly Holcomb
  12. Brian Brohm
  13. EJ Manuel

126. Nathan Peterman

The dark days are over my friends.

(Sorry, don't remember the likes of Todd Collins or Alex Van Pelt.)

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Can the playoff years of '98 and '99 be considered Desolation? They did make the playoffs and had a QB (Flutie) who was somewhat of a media darling at the time.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Not exactly mop up duty, Collins was injured in the first quarter and Hobert played the rest of the game clueless. Admitted to not studying the playbook on Monday,. released on Wednesday

Thanks for the correction, I totally forgot it was an injury replacement early in the game......It was AVP who "mopped" up I believe.  They threw for some crazy number of picks too.....3-4?  I gotta google it....

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

My favorite Jeff Tuel memory was someone handing him a mechanical pencil to sign an autograph with at a preseason game. He said “Uh. This is a pencil.”

Pretty much the highlight of this entire list.

How dare you!  Drew Bledsoe towers above most others listed; a veritable statue of a QB.  Ran like one, too.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s not part of the drought. There was still hope at that time.

Right so the Desolation begins, in my mind, the Tom Donohoe era forward

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

This is it. Sure, tanking is no sure fix, but we were always 6-10, 7-9, that sort of thing. 

For me the worst part of the drought was when Jauron was coach. That guy was 7-9 through and through. I remember the team getting beaten up by the pats, basically humiliated and the first thing he did in his press conference was to congratulate them and then talk about how awesome they were. I think I might have thrown something at the TV. Just a loser mentality

The Jauron years were the worst.  Four years and the offensive rankings were 30, 25, 30 and 30 or something like that.  Most amazing statistic has to be 2007 season - #30 in offense, #31 in defense, negative 109 point differential and we still go 7-9!  It was such a loser mentality.  Ultra conservative offense and wait for the other team to make a mistake, which only worked when the other team was total crap.  The Bobby April special teams, however, were truly special.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As a fan, I can't help but feel bad for each and every one of these potential Joe Montanas who endured a substandard left or right guard, a lack of talent at slot receiver, predictable play calling, a weak running game, and/or no help from their defense.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

My attempt at a ranking, best to worst:

1. Drew Bledsoe
  2. Ryan Fitzpatrick
  3. Doug Flutie
  4. Tyrod Taylor
  5. Rob Johnson
  6. Trent Edwards
  7. JP Losman
  8. Kyle Orton
  9. Thad Lewis
  10. Jeff Tuel
  11. Kelly Holcomb
  12. Brian Brohm
  13. EJ Manuel

126. Nathan Peterman

The dark days are over my friends.

(Sorry, don't remember the likes of Todd Collins or Alex Van Pelt.)

1. Doug Flutie

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick 

3. Drew Bledsoe

4. Kyle Orton 

5. Trent Edwards (pre concussion)

6. Tyrol Taylor

7. J.P. Losman

8. Rob Johnson

9. Kelly Holcomb

10. All others are so awful you can’t differentiate.  

• Like (+1) 1