List of Bills QBs during the Desolation

I was trying to remember all the QBs who started for our team has had since Jim Kelly and before Josh Allen. The list was even longer than I thought, the number in parenthesis is the number of games started by said QB. Not far off from a QB per year since. Crazy and glad the desolation is over.

1997 Todd Collins (13) / Alex Van Pelt (3)

1998 Doug Flutie (10) / Rob Johnson (6)

1999 Doug Flutie (15) / Rob Johnson (1)

2000 Rob Johnson (11) / Doug Flutie (5)

2001 Alex Van Pelt (8) / Rob Johnson (8)

2002 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2003 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2004 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2005 J. P. Losman (8) / Kelly Holcomb (8)

2006 J. P. Losman (16)

2007 Trent Edwards (9) / J. P. Losman (7)

2008 Trent Edwards (14) / J. P. Losman (2)

2009 Ryan Fitzpatrick (8) / Trent Edwards (7) / Brian Brohm (1)

2010 Ryan Fitzpatrick (13) / Trent Edwards (2) / Brian Brohm (1)

2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2013 EJ Manuel (10) / Thad Lewis (5) / Jeff Tuel (1)

2014 Kyle Orton (12) / EJ Manuel (4)

2015 Tyrod Taylor (14) / EJ Manuel (2)

2016 Tyrod Taylor (15) / EJ Manuel (1)

2017 Tyrod Taylor (14) / Nathan Peterman (2)

• Vomit 10
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Tuel time baby! He seems longer ago than 2013.

There's some in there I had hopes for. JP I think would be better now with the offenses we have. He could move a bit and had a hell of a deep ball. The intermediate stuff was what screwed him.

EJ I never thought would amount to anything, hated the way he seemed to push his throws towards players, almost like darts. 

Tyrod drove me crazy with his unwillingness to pass more than five yards beyond the LOS, though he carved out quite the rep amongst the media as being the guy who doesn't turn it over.

Trent was good for a short while until he got knocked out and we had fun blaming his regression on the concussion for many years.

Drew was exciting for a season or so, then we got frustrated with his cement feet.

Van Pelt looks better as a pot bellied sideline stroller than he did as a QB

Rob Johnson's best moment was leading us to FG range with one shoe, just before the music city miracle

Douglas Flutie was probably the most entertaining out of that bunch. Loved watching him play

Fitz was fun and frustrating week to week. He did beat the Pats though.

All said it's a lot of crap we've had to put up with. Look at that list and you can see why Allen is so popular

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Like (+1) 3

Anyone remember Craig Nall? I think we only had him for a year after being Favre's backup. It's so refreshing that the qb carousel has stopped.

For so many years we tried to find a starting qb in another team's trash heap (this strategy did pan out with Tyrod and Fitz to some degree)

My favorite Jeff Tuel memory was someone handing him a mechanical pencil to sign an autograph with at a preseason game. He said “Uh. This is a pencil.”

Pretty much the highlight of this entire list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

Flutie, Bledsoe, Fitzpatrick instilled some semblance of hope.

But in reality, it was more delusional than sound expectations.

Taylor was entertaining at times but clearly was not adequate.

The rest were simply not good enough to be starting NFL QB's.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Somebody made the comment somewhere online that said “we don’t deserve Josh Allen”. I said the ***** we don’t. Just look at this list…

There is not many fan bases that could go through what we have. We were irrelevant so long when I told people here in Knoxville years ago  I was a Buffalo Bills fan they thought it was a college team. I’d correct them about the Bulls and they’d say never heard of them. They know who we are now though. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What a list. 
Makes me even sadder thinking of how high my hopes were for Losman, edwards and I was even really hoping Thad would be something. 

I agree with @forebodingas well I was a big Aaron brooks fan and wished we had someone like him 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I really thought Edwards was going to be “the one.” He was never the same after that brutal hit in the Cards game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Damian said:

Did Billy Joe Hobert ever play?

I wondered the same, and no, I do not think he did.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yeah, I really thought Edwards was going to be “the one.” He was never the same after that brutal hit in the Cards game.

Me too, he started well and seemed to have poised and accuracy. One hit did him in it seems.

Thanks for the list. When you see it laid out that way there was actually more consistency than I remember. Bledsoe, Fitz, Tyrod and Losman all had longer runs at the starting job than most would think.  Were they Tom Brady? No....but who is? The problem the Bills had was that they never totally tanked. So year after year there was a glimmer of hope and a middle of the pack finish that had them drafting likewise, in the middle of the First Round.  Sigh! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You know for all the BS back and forth during the period of "Flute-Johnson?", Doug was 21-9 as the starter for this team.

Man, you just can't shake a stick at that, really.

I know he has talked more recently about the Bills, but I just wish that relationship, between him and the franchise, was a little bit closer.

I know he is a Boston guy, and I know what he did in the CFL, but his greatest NFL success was with us.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, foreboding said:

I was trying to remember all the QBs who started for our team has had since Jim Kelly and before Josh Allen. The list was even longer than I thought, the number in parenthesis is the number of games started by said QB. Not far off from a QB per year since. Crazy and glad the desolation is over.

1997 Todd Collins (13) / Alex Van Pelt (3)

1998 Doug Flutie (10) / Rob Johnson (6)

1999 Doug Flutie (15) / Rob Johnson (1)

2000 Rob Johnson (11) / Doug Flutie (5)

2001 Alex Van Pelt (8) / Rob Johnson (8)

2002 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2003 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2004 Drew Bledsoe (16)

2005 J. P. Losman (8) / Kelly Holcomb (8)

2006 J. P. Losman (16)

2007 Trent Edwards (9) / J. P. Losman (7)

2008 Trent Edwards (14) / J. P. Losman (2)

2009 Ryan Fitzpatrick (8) / Trent Edwards (7) / Brian Brohm (1)

2010 Ryan Fitzpatrick (13) / Trent Edwards (2) / Brian Brohm (1)

2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2013 EJ Manuel (10) / Thad Lewis (5) / Jeff Tuel (1)

2014 Kyle Orton (12) / EJ Manuel (4)

2015 Tyrod Taylor (14) / EJ Manuel (2)

2016 Tyrod Taylor (15) / EJ Manuel (1)

2017 Tyrod Taylor (14) / Nathan Peterman (2)

As I recall the running joke during that period.... Which QB had the most home wins in Buffalo?  Tom Brady..... 🤪

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Damian said:

Did Billy Joe Hobert ever play?

He did mop up duty once and it was discovered he never even opened the playbook.

OP - what a brutal read......we were glutton's for punishment for far too many years!!!  All hail JA!

• Agree 1