TheAthletic piece on Kumerow

TPS

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Last I heard he was supposed to be in New England burning us for 5+ years as the new Welker/Edelman white slot guy. 

It is with great sadness that I must report that Brandon Reilly (in an announcement that really got traction only in Nebraska) has retired from football.

On a more optimistic note: Da'Rick Rogers has not retired. He actually finished his college degree though (congrats!) so he may be thinking about moving on.

And Chris Hogan is trying to play professional lacrosse. Did you know that it was his first sport?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m getting a scary sense Kumerow is our new guy on here, Dukes time is almost over and it seems Jake may be taking his place. (I kid I kid) 

I think they can Duke it out! 🧐

Duke has every opportunity to make it.  He’s too slow.  If Jake can make it great.  If not let’s get a 5th and make A Prissy happy. 

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is with great sadness that I must report that Brandon Reilly (in an announcement that really got traction only in Nebraska) has retired from football.

On a more optimistic note: Da'Rick Rogers has not retired. He actually finished his college degree though (congrats!) so he may be thinking about moving on.

And Chris Hogan is trying to play professional lacrosse. Did you know that it was his first sport?

I think Hogan got a look from the Saints already this year

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, we know.  So are TBN articles.  A lot of other sites too.  Your point?

Back to the article:  I thought this part was interesting

The 5th and especially the 6th WR pretty much have to play teams.  But I hadn't realized the Bills had subbed Kumerow in at Gunner:

That's very promising for him.  Just as a note, Taiwain Jones missed 2 weeks (9 and 10) but Kumerow kept getting ST snaps.

So, this is very interesting. When you look for what is different from last year's roster to this one, it could be that all our special teamers can also play their position very well too.....

A. Williams for Taiwan.

Efe Obada for D. Johnson.

Kumerow for Roberts. (ID think Andre was a very good WR)

who am I missing?

We get a ton more offense with Antonio and Kumerow...... The DL being improved is a core goal for '21. 

Although I get - that these are three outstanding STers, maybe Heath can.... you know, coach these new guys up?

Super Bowl rosters have to be incredibly deep rosters and it looks like the Bills are moving in that direction. You're only good at one thing? You can't make the Buffalo Bills....unless your name is Allen or Diggs.

People often talk negatively about Tremaine but I take my hat off to him that he plays STs for us. He has a ridiculous job on defense for us, never leaving the field and then he stays on for the punt or what have you...pretty neat.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s not useless to me.  Thanks for posting it.  I read it and enjoyed it.  Great article.  Skip 4 cups of coffee and you can join in on the reindeer games

It's not even that much. I've got $1/mth for 4mos and then it's like $8. I canceled it after football ended, they sent me another $1 for 4 mos promo and I did it again. It's def my fav spot to read Bills stuff other than TBD, freaking bargain

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-sean-mcdermott-jake-kumerow-195205527.html

Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott noted that Kumerow, who was called Green Bay’s “second best” wide receivers last summer by Rodgers, is a player that’s standing out.

“His road has been rocky to this point. I can tell you this, though… when he left toward the end of the year last season, he was missed. Just in the locker room, the vibe of the team. To have a chance to get him back here was a big opportunity for us,” McDermott said via video conference. “I think he’s off to a great start in camp. He made a big play the other day.”

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

He is doing lacrosse and football.  Lacrosse is good sport to keep in shape.

It is reported that the Saints signed Hogan to a one-year deal at the veteran's minimum ($1.075 million for the nine-year pro), which qualifies for a salary cap benefit. It means he'll only count $850,000 against the cap, which is beneath the top-51 threshold used during the offseason.

14 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It's not even that much. I've got $1/mth for 4mos and then it's like $8. I canceled it after football ended, they sent me another $1 for 4 mos promo and I did it again. It's def my fav spot to read Bills stuff other than TBD, freaking bargain

Idk, I paid $20 for the year in a promo

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

So, this is very interesting. When you look for what is different from last year's roster to this one, it could be that all our special teamers can also play their position very well too.....

A. Williams for Taiwan.

I don't think you're going to see a slower RB who didn't play a single ST snap in the game he was activated last season, slotted in at gunner.

I did hear they were trying Breida there, and that Kumerow played there last season.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think you're going to see a slower RB who didn't play a single ST snap in the game he was activated last season, slotted in at gunner.

I did hear they were trying Breida there, and that Kumerow played there last season.

I know Antonio Williams excelled as a ST player in college and looked like a starting RB in his brief display vs. Miami I think he's got a good chance. If Brenda doesn't show he can play STs well (I think he projects as a returner, I say McKenzie as PR and Brenda as KO) I don't think he makes it. I think the third RB has to excel at both (STer and RB) And I know Moss has already said he is looking to become as valuable as he can to the Buffalo Bills so I'm sure he volunteered for whatever they need out of him. Not sure about Singletary? But I imagine he would as well. I do think this is the year where all STers are good at their position as well and that's a big reason Roberts is gone (one reason at least, another being a cost cutting move, another getting younger and finally, the last and biggest reason is that he kept carrying it out when he should have downed it. Maybe another reason is that they think McKenzie (Who I think should have been given a raise by someone but I'm glad he's still here.) is better?

But what a battle we have for that last spot! Kumerow vs. Hodgins, Stevenson to IR.....

Go Bills!

22 hours ago, TPS said:

Given his value on STs, I think that he's the odds-on favorite as the 6th WR (McKenzie is the 5th).  Hodgins would benefit from a year on the PS.

What about Stevenson? He was drafted higher overall than Hodgins and has a skill this team needs: speed. Yet, for some reason, folks seem to be more preoccupied with Hodgins.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The 5th and especially the 6th WR pretty much have to play teams.  But I hadn't realized the Bills had subbed Kumerow in at Gunner:

That's very promising for him.  Just as a note, Taiwain Jones missed 2 weeks (9 and 10) but Kumerow kept getting ST snaps.

I did mention him as an option at gunner in my special teams post a few weeks ago about the candidates for certain spots. I suggested he was the most likely guy to replace Taiwan Jones's spot as primary gunner.

If Kumerow can be anywhere near as effective as Taiwan Jones as a gunner, it makes a lot of sense to keep him and let go of Jones.  Jones is older and has just about zero value as a running back.  Kumerow in Taiwan's spot essentially saves a roster spot since Kumerow has real value as a receiver.   Brieda and Antonio Williams, I understand, both have some special team value.

• Like (+1) 1

I trust the coaching staff's ability to determine Jones value to special teams. It's hard for me sitting here to say.

That being said, I sure would prefer Kumerow being on the roster over Jones if their play and intangibles are roughly the same on ST. I think the Bills win the AFC championship last season with healthy WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bye bye Taiwan...hello Kumerow:wub:

On 8/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, Peace Frog said:

You get what you pay for.  Try ponying up some coin once in a while as the articles you read about the Bills are researched and written by people who do that for a living.

I don't pay for much, but I pay for the Athletic.  Every week or two there's something there I like reading. It's good stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I read that article too in The Athletic and came away thinking good chance Kumo makes the team as an extra #6 or 7 WR and takes Jones spot on roster.  Similarly I think Obada take Johnson's spot as he to can play ST.  Probably a better chance to if they cut Jones, a month later Kumo got hurt and they want to sign Jones, he'd still be available whereas the other way around, likely Kumo is gone.

In prior years the Bills could afford to keep these ST aces as the choice may come down to keeping another DB or T Jones.  Well that extra DB wasn't that strong so easier to justify keeping Jones or other St players.  This year the team would be giving up some serious talent to keep all these mainly ST only players.  Would be hard to keep them and improve the roster much.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't pay for much, but I pay for the Athletic.  Every week or two there's something there I like reading. It's good stuff.

I tried and it asked me my interests which I provided but continuously sent me emails on what I had no interest in DURING FOOTBALL SEASON to pad amount of material so I cancelled it.