Training Camp practice 8/3: Pads come on

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Uh oh, if McKenzie can actually run routes, this just got REAL.  I’m really hoping he breaks out this year, there’s going to be less in the pot for Diggs this year, hope he’s good with it.  Gotta think Diggs is looking for 100 catches and 1200+ yards, Beasley wants his 1k, Sanders and Toe Dragvis, need their 600, if McKenzie is running sharp routes, whooo boy, could be a 7-800 all purpose yards type of guy too.  Allen better be ready to throw up a few 500 yard games this year to keep the boys happy.

43 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Defensive line has me excited. There's alot of young talent including Obada. 

Only thing I have against the D, was the choice to sign Obada to a one year deal, really didn’t like that decision when they signed him.  At least lock him in for a couple years, even as a rotational guy, there’s so much potential, I would have tried to lock him down.  

13 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Grootzilla solves that issue. Groot's arms longer than God's (ducks under table to avoid lightning strike).

Love it.

3 hours ago, Process said:

We should have a nice pass rush. Run D is definitely still a concern. 

Also I wouldn't say it's a one year turnaround. They have been trying to get the d line right since they got here and it's probably been their biggest failure. Murphy, Star, Jefferson, Phillips, Butler, Addison. All guys they've brought in that haven't had much of an impact.

You add in Oliver, AJ, this year's rookies... It's actually amazing how much attention they've given the d line the past few years. Hopefully this is the year we see it pay off. 

Hey a great dline can win you a super bowl just ask the Broncos, Giants, and Bucs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, appoo said:

listening to Mario above, he was pretty awesome in explaining football specifics about DE technique in an easy to understand, entertaining manner. He's got legit potential in the booth as a color guy. That was legit charisma.

I am excited for a 10 package where both McKenzie and Beasley are in the slot. I'd love for that to be a 1st down and short yardage package as well.

Imagine having roster enough corners to cover Diggs, Beasley, sanders and mckenzie.  That’s 4 super twitchy type route runners. Just need the OL to block and Josh to hit the right guy.  Someone is going to get open rather quickly.  Then add Gabe and Kumerow or Hodgins for size. Impressive unit Beane has put together 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Defense steps up
Maybe the Bills’ defense just needed to put pads on to snap into form. This was the best day we’ve seen from the defense during team drills. Early on in 11-on-11, Matt Milano was glued to Dawson Knox in coverage and managed to deflect Josh Allen’s pass. Micah Hyde was trailing in coverage and swooped in for the interception. A few plays later, Stefon Diggs had a rare drop, and the offense looked out of rhythm.

One noticeable change in Allen from his younger days is his ability to find easy completions when things aren’t going well. The offense wasn’t clicking, so he found Quentin Morris, Matt Breida and Reggie Gilliam for quick completions early during team drills. Even with the defense having an edge for much of practice, Allen knows where his answers are and helps keep the offense afloat on the days when it is less than perfect.

Part of what made life tough on the offense was how sticky the Bills’ defensive players were in coverage. Tremaine Edmunds had a pass breakup on a throw over the middle. It’s easy to pick on Edmunds for a lack of game-changing plays, but the Bills don’t take his coverage ability for granted. He’d like to convert more of his tipped passes for interceptions, but the amount of ground he can cover and the passing lanes he can take away with his length make him tough to play against.

In the secondary, Levi Wallace disrupted a throw to Emmanuel Sanders with terrific coverage along the sideline. He’s been the Bills’ second best cornerback in training camp, showing a consistency Dane Jackson has lacked through six practices.

Even with the defense putting together a strong practice, Allen still had a few perfect throws to Stefon Diggs for big chunks of yardage in the intermediate area of the field as well as a perfect throw to Sanders between two defenders along the sideline. Allen’s ability to put the proper trajectory on those sideline throws and find the perfect spot between the zone coverage has improved dramatically over the last few seasons.

Obada set the tone early, beating his man with a swim move during one-on-one drills and he carried that intensity into team drills with a pair of pressures. On one, he beat his man to the edge. On the other, he managed to win with an inside move.

Obada’s versatility is going to make him a strong candidate for the final roster, especially if he keeps having practices like the one he did on Tuesday. Certain players just stand out more when pads are on, and No. 93 appeared in my notebook several times throughout practice.

Both Brandon Powell and Marquez Stevenson muffed returns during a drill early in practice. No one bobble is going to cost a player in a competition, but with Isaiah McKenzie playing so well on offense and having a history of success as a returner, Powell and Stevenson need to be near perfect. The Bills will get some live reps in preseason games to see who stands out in this competition, but McKenzie has been so good as a receiver during camp that keeping him as the return man might be the best way to save a roster spot.

Quintin Morris makes a few plays
Jacob Hollister has been missing from practice with a back injury, and that has opened up opportunities for Quintin Morris, the undrafted rookie tight end. Morris had a pair of catches on Tuesday, including one from Allen that we mentioned. He’s also getting some work on special teams, which would be necessary if he is going to carve out a spot on this team. The practice squad seems like a more realistic end game for Morris, but he’s shown more potential than expected early on in training camp. He and Reggie Gilliam have both looked like useful pass-catchers.

Matt Breida’s speed has been mentioned by coaches and teammates as the main asset that he brings to the team. But he’s proving that his receiving ability could be the best way to unleash that speed. The Bills threw the ball 63-percent of the time in early-down, neutral game-script situations a year ago. They’re going to throw the football a lot. So the most useful running back on this team might be the one who can consistently make big plays in the passing game. Zack Moss has made a few of those plays, and so has Breida.

Trubisky off the mark
Mitchell Trubisky has been inconsistent to start training camp. Too many of his passes end up in harm’s way. We noted the interception during one-on-one drills, which was a terrific play by Neal. But later during team drills, Trubisky threw pass that should have been intercepted by Joe Giles-Harris. He’s had positive moments like two deep shots on Monday, one of which went for a touchdown to Isaiah Hodgins. The talent is there, but he’s still working out his command of the new offense. Once that comes, the consistency should follow. He still looks like an upgrade at backup quarterback and the team’s clear No. 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

I agree.

If you look at a number of games last year, before the Bills piled up points, whether by great offense or turnovers, their defense was gouged by big running plays.

Watch the last New England game in the first half.

I'm concerned about two things from the late season games, even though we won most.

Run defense and Levi Wallace.

Let's go even further and look at the playoff game against the Colts in the 4th quarter.

The run defense was horrid. They killed their big lead and allowed the Colts to get back in it.

We cannot see anymore of that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

If that happened in a game to a Bills receiver I'd be wanting a DPI call.  Milano had Knox wrapped up before the ball got there and Dawson could only go for it with one hand.  Also, I am all for more aggressive play on the TE, force the refs to make the call.  We know they will make catches if they get a free release and are not challenged at the catch point.  At least they did last year.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like the last bit you posted. 

– Not the sharpest day for Josh Allen. Wasn’t bad but he’s had better practices (ex: Monday)

Some may view this as a bad thing, I do not. This means our defense is cooking and will be very good this year. 

This is only going to help Allen in the long run. Iron sharpens iron. This will refine him as a passer and complete his game as a QB.

Hopefully this turns Allen into a top 1-2 QB instead of a top 4-5 QB.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, eball said:

Big difference in this year's camp is that we don't have a lot of future fry cooks out there...our cuts are going to be on another roster come September.

And I think the way that that is going to effect our team is our STers will also be good at the position they are playing....

Not just STers.... Like McKenzie,  Kumerow, Obada, A. Williams and maybe even Brenda becomes a PR or KO? (AND! And....

He is good at his ST job plus Daboll draws up a few easy 50 yard gainers where he beats the over zealous contain with speed.

• Like (+1) 1