Training Camp practice 8/3: Pads come on

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Somebody has to go, yes I know is it uncomfortable and yes the vets wont be happy but they are also adult and understand this is a business.

Now serious question, what would Bill Belichek do?

I am NOT advocating to get ri of Hughes BUT if we can get a 2nd or a 3rd I would do that in a heartbeat.  Around pick4 I lose interest.  

What has Belichick done without TB12?

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Once again - this looks to me as though Wildgoose grabs Davis before the ball actually arrives (but Davis makes the catch anyway).

Yeah, it was close, but I agree. He may also have done it differently if they weren’t “thumping.” Turn his head, and get a hand up, and it’s probably clean. Despite all those technicalities, it’s nice to see the rookie getting that tight in coverage. The rest seems pretty coachable. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair.  But I think (maybe it's wishful thinking) that the Bills FO have learnt their lesson from the Peterman debacle: Looking good in preseason does not guarantee regular season results.  I think they try hard to "hedge their bets", though how they're gonna do it with all the guys they got, I dunno

I tend to think Hughes has more value to the Bills than he has in trade right now

Two interesting points.   As to the first, they didn't have trouble cutting Hauschka and going with Bass.  McBeane aren't afraid.   Still, to be willing to give up Hughes and go with a lot of unproven guys is a big bet. 

As to Hughes relative, I think you're absolutely right.  He's much more valuable to the Bills than to any other team.  

On 8/4/2021 at 3:15 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I also think Hughes will be on the block, too much $, too old, so much new talent. i think the Bills could get a lot for him, maybe  2nd or 3rd.,  yes his energy and QB pressure will be missed, his penalties wont be.

Trading Vets away right before the wheels come off is something well run organizations do all the time. It’s part of the game. 

On 8/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, Beast said:

Yes, let's trade Hughes heading into a year where we are serious contenders and the guy has a lot left in the tank! WONDERFUL FREAKING IDEA!!! I'm sure veterans in the locker room will embrace that move! To hell with trying to win a championship! It's all about the NFL draft!!!

“A lot left in the tank” is a bit of an over statement. Honestly, whatever Beane decides I am good with. It just wouldn’t surprise me to see. I do think Addison, Obada, Epenesa , Rousseau , Basham, Johnson is a great rotation. And allows the young guys to flourish. Hughes is solid but nothing great at this point in his career. There are plenty of leaders in that locker room to pick up the slack.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

“A lot left in the tank” is a bit of an over statement. Honestly, whatever Beane decides I am good with. It just wouldn’t surprise me to see. I do think Addison, Obada, Epenesa , Rousseau , Basham, Johnson is a great rotation. And allows the young guys to flourish. Hughes is solid but nothing great at this point in his career. There are plenty of leaders in that locker room to pick up the slack.

Addison has shown nothing but having an agent wise enough to get client to take a salary cut.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:56 PM, Shaw66 said:

Two interesting points.   As to the first, they didn't have trouble cutting Hauschka and going with Bass.  McBeane aren't afraid.   Still, to be willing to give up Hughes and go with a lot of unproven guys is a big bet. 

As to Hughes relative, I think you're absolutely right.  He's much more valuable to the Bills than to any other team.  

Just a little point that there may be less difference between the physical aspect of kicking in preseason vs games (there’s a mental pressure difference of course).

But creating pressure on D-line May differ when starters are going at each other full-bore vs preseason

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a little point that there may be less difference between the physical aspect of kicking in preseason vs games (there’s a mental pressure difference of course).

But creating pressure on D-line May differ when starters are going at each other full-bore vs preseason

Yeah, I agree.  It was just an example.   My point was more about how impressed I've been that the Bills' leadership is fearless.   They came in said they were going to build the team a certain way, deliberately and over time.   They didn't jump at every opportunity for a quick improvement.   Get good young players and develop them.   There was plenty of pressure to build fast, but they stuck to their guns. 

Diggs was probably the only exception.   They took a chance on Diggs, and they abandoned their own scheme, because they did their homework and decided it was the right time and place.   It was a gutsy move.   

I agree kicker is a different position, but when you've traded for Diggs because you believe the team can win now, it takes guts to cut your experienced, generally dependable kicker and go with a rookie.  

So, yeah, I agree it's a bigger step to unload an experienced starting defensive end and go with a rookie or a committee of rookies, but these leaders are not afraid to do it.  They will assess what they have and where the team is going, and they will have the courage to make the choice that to us may seem risky.   

Still, I agree with you that when they assess Hughes, they almost certainly will decide that his combination of skill and leadership is simply too valuable to unload.   McDermott loves veteran leadership, and Hughes has emerged as a veteran leader.   Some might argue the Kyle Williams was around a year too long, or some might argue the same thing about Alexander, but McDermott really wanted those guys in the locker room.  I think Hughes has grown into the same position. 

Edited by Shaw66