Training Camp practice 8/3: Pads come on

20 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I am adding this to my pot for the Hughes trade. I know guys are going to call me nuts, but Hughes will be traded if the Bills can find a desperate  team willing to let go of a top 100 pick in 2022.

I also think Hughes will be on the block, too much $, too old, so much new talent. i think the Bills could get a lot for him, maybe  2nd or 3rd.,  yes his energy and QB pressure will be missed, his penalties wont be.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I also think Hughes will be on the block, too much $, too old, so much new talent. i think the Bills could get a lot for him, maybe  2nd or 3rd.,  yes his energy and QB pressure will be missed, his penalties wont be.

Then trade him towards TJ Watt or Nick or Joey Bosa.:wub:

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

No. Like 1200 and 6 tds or something along those lines with 300 receiving added in. He'll do things Bills fans aren't expecting IMO

I could see this happening. I too think fans will be surprised by the running game. Someone will emerge, and someone will be strong second. The o line os what will make the difference. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough that they've had problems with DL so far.

But it's ridiculous to say that it's been a failure when they had one of the three or four best Ds in football in 2019 and were close to that in 2018.

Star has been a success. Phillips looked like one until the injury. And while Murphy just didn't seem able to be what they'd hoped in terms of the pass rush at all, the others seem to have been greatly affected by the loss of Star last year, and its knock-on effects. It meant that guys were put into positions they were not supposed to be in, particularly Jefferson.

I'm a lot less worried about run defense than pass defense. When Star has been on the field, the run D has been pretty decent. Pass rush has consistently been not so much a weakness as just not a strength except when sacks have been schemed up. The rookies, and Epenesa's development, do look like they may have a real effect there, but it's really too early to say after one padded practice.

Agreed it's not a one-year turnaround, though, and that hopefully we see it fully pay off this year.

My sister lives in Fort Collins so I get up there around once a year or so. Really nice little town. Last time (two years ago, pre-COVID) we saw that insane costumed bike race, and we always get up to the reservoir and rent a boat. Awesome.

And I don't know the name of the restaurant, but every time we rent a boat, my brother-in-law goes and buys a giant load of barbecue somewhere, and oh, my God, is that good barbecue.

It's not much of a "little" town anymore.

I lived there from 1990 to 2000.  

Went to school there, met my wife (a local) and got married and had our son there.

The last time I visited there was 4 years ago, and I could not believe how much it changed.  Old familiar areas of town where we lived now looked completely different.  One of my friends told me that, at the time, there were 1,000 a day moving into Colorado.  1,000 a day!  

When I asked him why, he said it was mostly due to the new cannabis laws.  Yikes!

Anyway... Go Rams!

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I could see this happening. I too think fans will be surprised by the running game. Someone will emerge, and someone will be strong second. The o line os what will make the difference. 

I agree.  I think Beane/McDermott have learned the hard way you need real speed at RB and why we have Breida.  Having J Allen is one of our leading rushers is asking way too much of hum and dangerous.

49 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Hughes had 4 penalties last season, 2 for defensive Offside, 1 for neutral zone infraction, 1 for roughing the passer that was arguably bogus

How many penalties of that sort do you think a high caliber pass rusher should get?

It always amazes me how some of us will tear down a Bills player - too old, too expensive contract , too many penalties.....and then turn around and think another team will give up a high pick in trade for him 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hughes had 4 penalties last season, 2 for defensive Offside, 1 for neutral zone infraction, 1 for roughing the passer that was arguably bogus

How many penalties of that sort do you think a high caliber pass rusher should get?

It always amazes me how some of us will tear down a Bills player - too old, too expensive contract , too many penalties.....and then turn around and think another team will give up a high pick in trade for him 🤦‍♂️

Tearing down a Bills players, yea whatever, if it makes you feel better.

It always amazes me people cherry pick one year stats trying to prove a point.  He had 6 the year before, 5 in 2018, 6 in 2017 and costly unsportsmanlike conduct each of those seasons (2 in 2017) all which were unnecessary.  He had another 8 penalties  in 2016, 14 in 2015 (second most in the league) , 9 in 2014.  That is a lot of penalties, love his enthusiasm but he losses his cool too often and at the worst times.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Eyeroll 2

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes all of them have been guaranteed to be able to buy a pair of tickets.

Maybe one of them will let you buy one since you have been cheering for them.

Of course I have...I guess that's the next best thing...

36 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tearing down a Bills players, yea whatever, if it makes you feel better.

It always amazes me people cherry pick one year stats trying to prove a point.  He had 6 the year before, 5 in 2018, 6 in 2017 and costly unsportsmanlike conduct each of those seasons (2 in 2017) all which were unnecessary.  He had another 8 penalties  in 2016, 14 in 2015 (second most in the league) , 9 in 2014.  That is a lot of penalties, love his enthusiasm but he losses his cool too often and at the worst times.

You realize this is the same logic train driven by those who want to say last year was an anomaly and Allen will "regress" to his 2019 level of performance?

Last year is just cherry-picking one year stats trying to prove a point!  It doesn't reflect an actual change!

McDermott and several players talked about Hughes having "matured" a lot last season due to taking a leadership role on the team and being elected a Captain.  Therefore, it may be significant that he had zero unsportsmanlike conduct penalties last season and appeared to lose his cool zero times.

Whether or not you believe that Allen will inevitably regress because quoting last year's stats is just "cherry picking trying to prove a point", the point remains:

In the very same post where you tear down Hughes as too old, too expensive, and drawing too many penalties - you then turn around and suggest that the Bills could get "a lot" (eg a high draft pick) for the same old, expensive, heavily penalized player you just critiqued.

If you can't see the contradiction there, others surely can.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, let's trade Hughes heading into a year where we are serious contenders and the guy has a lot left in the tank! WONDERFUL FREAKING IDEA!!! I'm sure veterans in the locker room will embrace that move! To hell with trying to win a championship! It's all about the NFL draft!!!

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You realize this is the same logic train driven by those who want to say last year was an anomaly and Allen will "regress" to his 2019 level of performance?

Last year is just cherry-picking one year stats trying to prove a point!  It doesn't reflect an actual change!

McDermott and several players talked about Hughes having "matured" a lot last season due to taking a leadership role on the team and being elected a Captain.  Therefore, it may be significant that he had zero unsportsmanlike conduct penalties last season and appeared to lose his cool zero times.

Whether or not you believe that Allen will inevitably regress because quoting last year's stats is just "cherry picking trying to prove a point", the point remains:

In the very same post where you tear down Hughes as too old, too expensive, and drawing too many penalties - you then turn around and suggest that the Bills could get "a lot" (eg a high draft pick) for the same old, expensive, heavily penalized player you just critiqued.

Fact is Jerry Hughes has been a great player for the Bills, also fact is he has had serious penalty issues,  Has he matured to control his emotions on the field in the heat of the moment, i hope so.  Also fact he is old now.  Like to see how many snaps late in the game he has had this year versus year before.

And your interjection of Allen to this is not additive at all to advance any meaningful discussion.  Comparing Allen to Hughes is laughable, one is old and sorry, hate to be a bummer but his contract now is expensive compared to the 2 young  DEs picked in the first two rounds.  Gee why did that happen?   We pay more Hughes this year then Greg Rous in the first 3 years.  

And "tearing down" is a pejorative statement to diminish my comments, fact is, if you can be intellectually honest he is old, and my comments about his contract are not about tearing him down, they are about  the contract, get it, the distinction between player and contract?

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Vomit 1

20 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes, let's trade Hughes heading into a year where we are serious contenders and the guy has a lot left in the tank! WONDERFUL FREAKING IDEA!!! I'm sure veterans in the locker room will embrace that move! To hell with trying to win a championship! It's all about the NFL draft!!!

Somebody has to go, yes I know is it uncomfortable and yes the vets wont be happy but they are also adult and understand this is a business.

Now serious question, what would Bill Belichek do?

I am NOT advocating to get ri of Hughes BUT if we can get a 2nd or a 3rd I would do that in a heartbeat.  Around pick4 I lose interest.  

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Although I agree with you about the penalties, the leadership, and the overall quality play - he's downright solid and effective, I could see a scenario where he gets traded.   I don't think it will happen, because he's a veteran leader and quality contributor, but ...

suppose some combination of Efe, Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa looks like they are going to take substantial playing time from Hughes.   I don't think that will happen, but if it did, Hughes could become expendable.  

I don't think that will happen, in part because I don't know that his trade value is very high.  Who would want him?   He's not an impact pass rusher, which is what everyone is looking for.   He's a long-term, quality player and leader, but at this point in his career, he doesn't have the time to become a long-term leader anywhere else.  

All of this tells me Hughes isn't going anywhere, and we'll be happy to have him (except that someone the Bills cut might turn out to be a contributor somewhere else).  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This is absolutely ridiculous lol. Both that you think we should let him go, and that you think we would get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick if we did. 

If they got rid of Hughes and kept Addison id be pissed. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Process said:

This is absolutely ridiculous lol. Both that you think we should let him go, and that you think we would get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick if we did. 

If they got rid of Hughes and kept Addison id be pissed. 

Stop letting logic get in the way of a good crusade

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Although I agree with you about the penalties, the leadership, and the overall quality play - he's downright solid and effective, I could see a scenario where he gets traded.   I don't think it will happen, because he's a veteran leader and quality contributor, but ...

suppose some combination of Efe, Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa looks like they are going to take substantial playing time from Hughes.   I don't think that will happen, but if it did, Hughes could become expendable.  

Fair.  But I think (maybe it's wishful thinking) that the Bills FO have learnt their lesson from the Peterman debacle: Looking good in preseason does not guarantee regular season results.  I think they try hard to "hedge their bets", though how they're gonna do it with all the guys they got, I dunno

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think that will happen, in part because I don't know that his trade value is very high.  Who would want him? 

I tend to think Hughes has more value to the Bills than he has in trade right now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1