Training Camp practice 8/3: Pads come on

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm right there with you. I'm definitely of that homer ilk that really wants to root for players that have compelling stories off the field, as well as on. Obada has an amazing story, and by all accounts, an incredible work ethic, and high character. And, an incredible athlete. Exactly the kind of guy you want to see succeed. 

He's not an anomaly on this team, though. The fact that Beane, and McDermott place such a high priority on character is integral to the winning culture they have built. What a great team to be a fan of. 

Agree 100%

This is also the reason why I'll also root for Levi Wallace.  That guy also has an incredible story and has always had to battle as the underdog.

Let's go Buffalo!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Wowzers!  What a fan! Root some for me and thanks for going and good luck and have a fantastic time....

(I never saw the Bills in an away game, but if they ever go to LA, I am going to try hard to go....

I really hope we upgraded and win....what a win that would be for us. One of the biggest ones ever imho... The chefs are f***in' good and that's what would make it such a colossal W.

Go Bills!

They'll be in LA for the Super Bowl 👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I wouldn't discount the relationship that Hollister already has with Josh-- they were teammates at Wyoming, and Hollister plays no small part in Josh's highlight reel, but they are also close friends. And the chemistry is already there. That is especially true of Tanner Gentry, as well, although he obviously has a narrower path to the 53.

I could be in the minority, but I think the whole idea that Josh and his former Cowpoke teammates having important chemistry together is way overblown.  Look at how fast he and Diggs developed chemistry.  These guys are professionals, and Josh is 3 years removed from Laramie.

Plus, I went to Colorado State, so the fewer Wyoming players the better! 

Go Rams!  🐏

:devil: 

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Process said:

We should have a nice pass rush. Run D is definitely still a concern. 

Also I wouldn't say it's a one year turnaround. They have been trying to get the d line right since they got here and it's probably been their biggest failure. Murphy, Star, Jefferson, Phillips, Butler, Addison. All guys they've brought in that haven't had much of an impact.

You add in Oliver, AJ, this year's rookies... It's actually amazing how much attention they've given the d line the past few years. Hopefully this is the year we see it pay off. 

Fair enough that they've had problems with DL so far.

But it's ridiculous to say that it's been a failure when they had one of the three or four best Ds in football in 2019 and were close to that in 2018.

Star has been a success. Phillips looked like one until the injury. And while Murphy just didn't seem able to be what they'd hoped in terms of the pass rush at all, the others seem to have been greatly affected by the loss of Star last year, and its knock-on effects. It meant that guys were put into positions they were not supposed to be in, particularly Jefferson.

I'm a lot less worried about run defense than pass defense. When Star has been on the field, the run D has been pretty decent. Pass rush has consistently been not so much a weakness as just not a strength except when sacks have been schemed up. The rookies, and Epenesa's development, do look like they may have a real effect there, but it's really too early to say after one padded practice.

Agreed it's not a one-year turnaround, though, and that hopefully we see it fully pay off this year.

42 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I could be in the minority, but I think the whole idea that Josh and his former Cowpoke teammates having important chemistry together is way overblown.  Look at how fast he and Diggs developed chemistry.  These guys are professionals, and Josh is 3 years removed from Laramie.

Go Rams!  🐏

My sister lives in Fort Collins so I get up there around once a year or so. Really nice little town. Last time (two years ago, pre-COVID) we saw that insane costumed bike race, and we always get up to the reservoir and rent a boat. Awesome.

And I don't know the name of the restaurant, but every time we rent a boat, my brother-in-law goes and buys a giant load of barbecue somewhere, and oh, my God, is that good barbecue.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but watching this video from both angles I'm pretty sure this was pass interference - looks like Milano was between Knox and the ball and had him wrapped up before the ball got there.

Anyone else?

Once the ball was deflected up into the air, good play by Hyde to put it away and run it back.

image.png.27d6228cd9d341e6371cce3d76b92c72.png

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

image.png.27d6228cd9d341e6371cce3d76b92c72.png

Nice capture.  That’s what I saw too

Knox needs to learn to sell the PI better.    Two choices: drive forward for the ball so it’s obvious Milano is impeding him with his back turned to the ball, PI.  Or flop backwards before the ball gets there, making it obvious he was tackled before the ball gets there.  

The first gives him a shot to make the reception as well, the second puts the fate of the ball as well as the play in the refs hands

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You missed me on page 5! lol

OK, 4 of us now LOL.  I feel it’s so unfair of me (“blame the victim”) but I can’t stop perceiving Knox as “hapless” against physical play.  

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It's gotta be te! What else could it possibly be lol guard? Rb? Super secret double qb formation? 😆😆

I suppose TE is possible, but who ever heard of a 6’4” 200 lb TE?  And I’m sure gaining weight has been suggested to him before - people are talking about how deceptively fast he is and weight would surely hinder that.

My guess would be he’s either playing gunner or taking returns, or both.  Since we know he’s been on the field a lot as a WR including time with the 1s, taking snaps as a TE would IMO only pull away from that, but playing in all 4 phases of the ST game would give him the “busy day” Marcel LJ alluded to.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Go Rams!  🐏

I don't think you're in the minority. At least on here, I think I'm one of the few who have been bringing it up. I also think it's less of an issue with Hollister (who I also think, assuming his back injury is no big deal, is close to a lock to make the roster), than it is with Gentry. As I've mentioned before, Gentry is all over Josh Allen's highlight reel, and he has spoken glowingly about Gentry, recently saying that "he has the strongest hands of anyone I know." They're also close friends.

Of course Gentry (and Hollister, for that matter) will still have to prove himself to the coaches, and earn the position. And as a #6WR, whomever gets the slot will have to perform on ST. But I have to suspect that what Gentry's relationship, and existing chemistry with Allen does for him, is get him more looks, and targets from Allen in TC (which translates to more opportunities to stand out), and as they are close friends, I could see that if the competition were very close, that the coaches might defer to Josh. They do, after all, want Josh to be happy in Buffalo. They still have to figure out his contract.

13 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Handsy?  Isn't that the way the chefs covered us and Tampa covered the chefs?  The Bills need to be ready to play the game the way it is called. We can't let cheatin' lowdown dirty refs dictate who wins! So we have to ready for hand to hand fighting and for our corners to play heavy as well. (But they'll probably call just us with PI).

Man, I really hope you're right! That'd be so awesome if they work out and become dominant. Then we an draft a DT this spring and be good to go along the all-important DL.... That guarantees us a SB in my book.

I sure hope the DL continues to look good once Dion is back.....

I too am hoping we learned something Chefs game in AFCCG. We need to have a few practices where they play like the refs lost their flags. Be prepared for it and know how to do it reasonably if the game play dictates it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll take a stab! Injuries in football are real. EVERYONE who plays has injuries to some extent.

Believing sky fairies will protect you if you beg them?  not so much, no.. 🤷‍♂️

Seems to have hit a nerve…

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Sal made a point on WGR segment with Bulldog this afternoon, that the D looked awfully quick to be handsy and physical with the WR’s, and that likely when the Bills bring in refs later this month there will be a lot of holding calls if that keeps up.

were just getting them ready for KC

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

McKenzie also has had issues with muffing punts in the past… interested to see if that’s improved or not.

he looked good in the game against Miami but before that he was always one play away from giving me a heart attack.   which is the reason Hyde started doing punts.  He sucked but he could field the ball safely.  

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so we’re the only two that think maybe this was PI

Looks the same to me and plenty of people mention it in the replies of the tweet.

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Go Rams!  🐏

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Go Rams!  🐏

Degrees of separation - a little trivia for you. Marv Levy was a Wyoming Cowboy. While only for one semester, he was on our football team.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't think you're in the minority. At least on here, I think I'm one of the few who have been bringing it up. I also think it's less of an issue with Hollister (who I also think, assuming his back injury is no big deal, is close to a lock to make the roster), than it is with Gentry. As I've mentioned before, Gentry is all over Josh Allen's highlight reel, and he has spoken glowingly about Gentry, recently saying that "he has the strongest hands of anyone I know." They're also close friends.

Of course Gentry (and Hollister, for that matter) will still have to prove himself to the coaches, and earn the position. And as a #6WR, whomever gets the slot will have to perform on ST. But I have to suspect that what Gentry's relationship, and existing chemistry with Allen does for him, is get him more looks, and targets from Allen in TC (which translates to more opportunities to stand out), and as they are close friends, I could see that if the competition were very close, that the coaches might defer to Josh. They do, after all, want Josh to be happy in Buffalo. They still have to figure out his contract.

As a Wyoming Cowboy fan, I say you play the best players, period. This is about business, not friendships.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Looks the same to me and plenty of people mention it in the replies of the tweet.

My son is in his second year as a CSU Ram..  Not much to cheer about.  We are flying out in October for the Parents Weekend and going to the game.

• Like (+1) 3