Bills still interested in bringing in a DT? Reportedly were in on Corey Peters

Just now, delirious said:

I'm still pounding the table for Jurrell Casey

I agree, though they have a bit of a logjam at DT which makes me curious as to looking to add Peters. One of Harrison Phillips, Justin Zimmer or Vernon Butler likely is gone and that’s before adding another. Butler’s restructure early in the off-season makes it tough to consider him on the chopping block but tbh I think I’d rather keep the other 2

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree, though they have a bit of a logjam at DT which makes me curious as to looking to add Peters. One of Harrison Phillips, Justin Zimmer or Vernon Butler likely is gone and that’s before adding another. Butler’s restructure early in the off-season makes it tough to consider him on the chopping block but tbh I think I’d rather keep the other 2

Agreed. Casey is a 1T so I don't really see them moving on from the ZimZam and having three 1techs (star, harry, Casey)

Keep in mind, there's more than 1 reason to "be in on a guy". Beane may have had interest, but also could be doing something like gauging the market. "Being in" doesn't mean likely to actually do so. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Keep in mind, there's more than 1 reason to "be in on a guy". Beane may have had interest, but also could be doing something like gauging the market. "Being in" doesn't mean likely to actually do so. 

“In on” him was my interpretation to be fair. He nay have not considered them regardless of money. The report appears to show they made an offer or could have just made a call - allbright just saying he had a nice market including Buffalo. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would the Stadium Wall say Beane made a mistake restructuring Butler and Addison instead of waiving both?

Are they heavy rocks taking the D under?

Just now, billybrew1 said:

Would the Stadium Wall say Beane made a mistake restructuring Butler and Addison instead of waiving both?

Are they heavy rocks taking the D under?

At the time he didn’t know what he would get in the draft… I would be ok with keeping Addison 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Beane's job is to win a Super Bowl. Looking at last year's defense (particularly against road block KC) the defense is far from ready to stop KC. Did we do enough this offseason? Obada, Star, Groot And Boogie are the new faces. Leslie is counting on Tremaine, Ed and AJ a lot more this year. What kind of defense does that give us? At least we're probably good facing Baltimore again (and there's a 50/50 chance we will again probably). I hope Obada makes it. I certainly hope Harry's knee is way better than last year and that he is all set to have his best season ever. And you gotta hope Leslie is right about our young (high pick) talent stepping up this year. If Tremaine resembled Urlacher we'd be a very different defense. If our front four could win more one on one battles (a lot more) chaos would ensue giving Tremaine lanes to make more impact.

The front seven isn't the only place that has to improve. Our zones were far too soft vs. the chefs and we paid no special attention to KC's two big stars.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At the time he didn’t know what he would get in the draft… I would be ok with keeping Addison 

Yeah, but maybe he should have known, after all he did take two in a row on draft day. All GMs have to take educated guesses all the time. I know Addison is an OK player, but we have to figure a way to beat the chefs. I sure hope Groot makes  us all happy and becomes the blue-chip player we absolutely need in that front four.... the trouble is we might need two....

Ed? Imho, it is very difficult to determine how good (or bad) defensive linemen are in Leslie's defense. It is not like Ed actually tries to shoot the gap much. I also see he is often the last one on the line to move. I don't think it is because he is the slowest, I think he's playing his assignment which isn't shooting gaps. 

Although our defense foes play more aggressive in the playoffs....I was happy with the pick when we made it. I watched a couple breakdowns of Ed and they convinced me he was unusually strong, athletic and fast. I expected a poor man's Aaron Donald But I don't think we play him that way very often. Is it because he can't ? Is it because we play this weird defense where we keep the ball in front us to a fault?  I have no idea....

Lack of talent or lack of creating a pressure defense?

Not that we're terrible.... aside from when we play the chefs.

How did Tampa make them look bad when we can't even make them look human?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Yeah, but maybe he should have known, after all he did take two in a row on draft day. All GMs have to take educated guesses all the time. I know Addison is an OK player, but we have to figure a way to beat the chefs. I sure hope Groot makes  us all happy and becomes the blue-chip player we absolutely need in that front four.... the trouble is we might need two....

Ed? Imho, it is very difficult to determine how good (or bad) defensive linemen are in Leslie's defense. It is not like Ed actually tries to shoot the gap much. I also see he is often the last one on the line to move. I don't think it is because he is the slowest, I think he's playing his assignment which isn't shooting gaps. 

Although our defense foes play more aggressive in the playoffs....I was happy with the pick when we made it. I watched a couple breakdowns of Ed and they convinced me he was unusually strong, athletic and fast. I expected a poor man's Aaron Donald But I don't think we play him that way very often. Is it because he can't ? Is it because we play this weird defense where we keep the ball in front us to a fault?  I have no idea....

Lack of talent or lack of creating a pressure defense?

Not that we're terrible.... aside from when we play the chefs.

How did Tampa make them look bad when we can't even make them look human?

Both starting offensive tackles were out for the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Harrison can get cut right now and we wouldn’t notice a difference with him gone. Same with Butler too I guess.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

By rumor or actual signings, its Beane’s way of applying pressure on our existing guys, in this case the D line,  no ones job is 100% safe, he wants them to clearly understand this, perform or be nervous about your job security…, we shall see how well it works, won’t we…,

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

Beane's job is to win a Super Bowl. Looking at last year's defense (particularly against road block KC) the defense is far from ready to stop KC. Did we do enough this offseason? Obada, Star, Groot And Boogie are the new faces. Leslie is counting on Tremaine, Ed and AJ a lot more this year. What kind of defense does that give us? At least we're probably good facing Baltimore again (and there's a 50/50 chance we will again probably). I hope Obada makes it. I certainly hope Harry's knee is way better than last year and that he is all set to have his best season ever. And you gotta hope Leslie is right about our young (high pick) talent stepping up this year. If Tremaine resembled Urlacher we'd be a very different defense. If our front four could win more one on one battles (a lot more) chaos would ensue giving Tremaine lanes to make more impact.

The front seven isn't the only place that has to improve. Our zones were far too soft vs. the chefs and we paid no special attention to KC's two big stars.

I'm not sure what this meandering rant has to do with my comment that Beane being in on a guy doesn't necessarily mean that the offer was likely to be taken by the player. 

4b593898171fc7a25f605003f8c20270--billy-

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is common for GM's to interject themselves into some negotiations for the sole purpose of driving up the price that other teams have to pay.  I don't know whether or not that was Beane's intention but I would not be surprised if it was.  I believe Beane is fairly strategic in his actions and sees things much differently than the average fan.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Harrison can get cut right now and we wouldn’t notice a difference with him gone. Same with Butler too I guess.

Agreed. After Oliver and Star the rest are street free agent types that can be replaced. Phillips and Zimmer are cheap and are probably playing for one of the last spots on the roster. 

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I still believe that Phillips' performance last season was hindered by the injury he had suffered the your before.  I think it was more than a torn ACL.  I think another ligament was involved too.  That made the recovery take longer.  Certainly, he has to perform this season, but I'm not going to dismiss him just yet.  Reportedly he has added muscle mass this year, but without contact in practice, there's no way to assess what he's doing.