Bills on the precipice of greatness: Article by Warren Sharp

Big Turk

20 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I see some still mention this at times. I just don't think nothing of it. I can't see where it would make much of a difference 

You don't see where it could make a difference?

How about the fact there weren't many examples of "sugar-high" Josh last year?  No crowds, no hype.

I'm not saying that this was 100% the reason, just saying that it most certainly could have contributed. 

I’m definitely in the “don’t talk to me about SOS before the season starts” crowd.  

Who would’ve thought San Fran would be the San Fran we faced last year when we looked at the schedule in August of 2020?

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’m definitely in the “don’t talk to me about SOS before the season starts” crowd.  

Who would’ve thought San Fran would be the San Fran we faced last year when we looked at the schedule in August of 2020?

Honestly that San Fran could have been the Steel Curtain that day and it wouldn't have mattered. Allen was transcendent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Not saying you're wrong about us knowing. We certainly don't know until the games start getting played.

But I recall last year the schedule was projected to be easy, not hard. The pre-season narrative was that the Bills playoff chances were good because of the schedule. The NFCW was the only real concern besides KC.

I remember hearing that the Bills wouldn't have as good of a season as the year before because the schedule was much tougher.

Edited by Scott7975

21 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

How about the fact there weren't many examples of "sugar-high" Josh last year?  No crowds, no hype.

I'm not saying that this was 100% the reason, just saying that it most certainly could have contributed. 

Yeah, nothing to it to me. All teams went through it. Josh had great year and it certainly wasn't because there was no crowd noise. 

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

this is simply not true - the Bills were tied with a few other teams going into last season with the 5th toughest schedule (based on how it’s usually calculated - collective win% of opponents.)

But the larger point is SoS does not carry over year to year. It has zero predictive value Y2Y.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had one of the toughest strength of schedules last year.  The NFC West was a major reason behind it.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/08/buffalo-bills-2020-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

I guess that was my personal narrative then 😄

I confidently predicted 12-4 before the season.

This year they have the Chiefs, Titans, Bucs, and Colts who should all be tough (barring the Colts QB situation) and the division is more open with Gase gone, Tua in his 2nd year, and the Pats getting some key players back, as well as having another year to adjust to post-Brady life. Then you gotta anticipate some other surprises like the Jags and Redskins who may both be better than people think. Not to mention the Steelers and Saints who are always tough, too.

I'm more worried about this schedule than I was last year. I'll predict a less confident 13-4 but I can easily see us losing 2 more games than last year.

Edited by LeGOATski
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Uses a lot of advanced stats and custom stats to say the same thing and much of what we already know...

This team is going places...

https://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-precipice-greatness-190657443.html

Does anyone think we could be in the same exact shoes as we were with Jim Kelly around thirty years ago?

We had the sophisticated Ted Marchibroda running the offense. He left, went to the colts and took Will Wolford with him. The Bills O was never really the same (although it remained very good). The offense lost its ability to be innovative and losing Wolford was a huge loss that we never replaced.

Who might Daboll take? What coaches? What players? Is Daboll the real talent in Buffalo? Can the Bills draft a front seven defender and then put him into a position to really excel? We have the highest paid DL in the league but we get middle of the pack results. Tremaine is certainly good but he seldom gets your juices flowing with his powerful play. This year is going to be very telling for the defense, those who created it and those who developed it. Last year while we were a middle of the pack defense we did look a bit better than that in the playoffs (until, of course, we played KC and looked hopeless).

There is little chance Daboll stays another year (maybe if the Bills go to the Super Bowl all positions are filled again)

are we letting the wrong coach go?

What if the D doesn't improve this year and the offense does?

What if play KC and score over forty but lose?

These things could really happen.....

What if?

What say you, stadium wall?

47 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

That name needs to go in the trash can along with the clowns on nfl network morning show calling him it….Allen is a good quarterback why is it so hard from some Bills fans to see we can have nice things 

3 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Does anyone think we could be in the same exact shoes as we were with Jim Kelly around thirty years ago?

We had the sophisticated Ted Marchibroda running the offense. He left, went to the colts and took Will Wolford with him. The Bills O was never really the same (although it remained very good). The offense lost its ability to be innovative and losing Wolford was a huge loss that we never replaced.

Who might Daboll take? What coaches? What players? Is Daboll the real talent in Buffalo? Can the Bills draft a front seven defender and then put him into a position to really excel? We have the highest paid DL in the league but we get middle of the pack results. Tremaine is certainly good but he seldom gets your juices flowing with his powerful play. This year is going to be very telling for the defense, those who created it and those who developed it. Last year while we were a middle of the pack defense we did look a bit better than that in the playoffs (until, of course, we played KC and looked hopeless).

There is little chance Daboll stays another year (maybe if the Bills go to the Super Bowl all positions are filled again)

are we letting the wrong coach go?

What if the D doesn't improve this year and the offense does?

What if play KC and score over forty but lose?

These things could really happen.....

What if?

Josh Allen he can just keep holding out till he costs to much to keep franchising and then goto whatever team Daboll is coaching 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That name needs to go in the trash can along with the clowns on nfl network morning show calling it….Allen is a good quarterback why is it so hard from some Bills fans to want nice things 

Put down your drink, mate.

Where the heck are getting that I don't want nice things for the Bills?? (Because of my name? Ha!)

I truly honestly believe that Josh could become one of the best QBs to ever play the game.  He showed glimpses of that last season.

I've also only referred to Sugar High Josh in the past tense.

That said, completely dismissing the affect that playing in an empty stadium vs a full rocking one is simply ignorant,  especially when considering we're talking about a young, developing player.

I personally think last year, without fans was the best thing to possibly happen to his development and have faith that, this year, he's going to take the next steps towards greatness. 

Let's go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bad Things said:

Put down your drink, mate.

Where the heck are getting that I don't want nice things for the Bills?? (Because of my name? Ha!)

I truly honestly believe that Josh could become one of the best QBs to ever play the game.  He showed glimpses of that last season.

I've also only referred to Sugar High Josh in the past tense.

That said, completely dismissing the affect that playing in an empty stadium vs a full rocking one is simply ignorant,  especially when considering we're talking about a young, developing player.

I personally think last year, without fans was the best thing to possibly happen to his development and have faith that, this year, he's going to take the next steps towards greatness. 

Let's go Buffalo!

Ok I see your point 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

What if?

What if we watch the games and they end up being the one team of 32 that win the Super Bowl?

I watched the team when I knew they wouldn't and I will watch the games now knowing they might.

I like that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i thought we had one of the tougher schedules going into last year too.  isn't this year supposed to be "easy" in comparison?

Looks easier for sure. Obviously with parity teams can go from bad to good (and vice versa) in one off season. But looking at our schedule my too-early prediction would be:

Steelers - WIN

@ Dolphins - could see us splitting with them this year, and they'll be out for revenge after the humiliation last year. Although Josh seems to have the Dolphins number more than any other team, so I'll say WIN

WFT - Tough D and Fitzmagic. I'll put this down as a loss with Fitz doing his thing in the 4th quarter. Hopefully he has one of his bad games here. LOSS

Texans - Following the loss to the Sk... sorry, WTF, sorry, WFT, this would be a disaster with some fans here calling Allen a one season wonder. Surely that can't happen? It won't happen, and don't call me Shirley. WIN.

Chiefs - They still have our number, we'll have to take them in the playoffs. LOSS.

Titans - Will Henry be throwing defenders into the air again or will the defense shackle him? To me this is a coin flip game, but I'll say we get revenge with some big Allen runs. WIN

Phins - WIN

Jaguars - WIN

Jets - WIN

Colts - So many of the issues in the playoff game came from the veteran savvy of Rivers. He's gone now and I don't see Wentz giving those same problems. - WIN

Saints - Remains to be seen how these guys do without Brees. They're a well coached team as they showed when Brees was out last year but their QB situation is a huge ? right now. WIN

Pats - This is a tough one to call. Lots of opt outs back and big FA signings. I'm hoping they implode once again and when we play them they've already given up on the year. But until I see that happen I think they'll have a bounce back year. I think we split with them, losing at home and winning in Gilette - LOSS

Buccs - Brady owns us until we prove he doesn't. He's the antichrist and I refuse to bet against him because I think that only increases his power. LOSS

Panthers - A nice reunion for 89% of our roster! WIN

Pats - WIN

Falcons - WIN

Jets - Will we be resting players again at some point in a meaningless game? If that happens and Wilson win, SAR I spends the next off season pointing out how this game is proof that the kid will own us from now on. I think we'll need this game and will go for it. WIN

I'll now count the wins and losses to give me a final record (that's how it's done apparently)

Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating Calculating

13-4

I've probably been too generous in some places - will we really beat the Colts and the Titans? I might change my mind before the season and put one of those down as a loss.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i thought we had one of the tougher schedules going into last year too.  isn't this year supposed to be "easy" in comparison?

The Bills tough schedule had them being the source of the game of the week more often than not last season.The Bills once again have a tough schedule but not as difficult I don't think. (Because you never know as San Fran was supposed to be one of our toughest games but turned into an easy win.) 

I hope the NFL has more great match ups than they did last season. There are lots of good teams: Tampa, KC, then Buffalo, then Baltimore, Green Bay, Tennessee, Cleveland, the colts (maybe)  and the whole NFC West. That's 11 -12 premium teams. Then there's the teams that might take a leap up: SD, NE, Miami, LV, The Raiders, Minnesota, Maybe Pittsburgh and Washington with Fitz.

Minnesota is an interesting team that might jump. So, I think any of these teams playing head to head at least means a watchable game....But it is the top 11 -12 teams you want to see head to head. The Bills have four of those premium match ups: Colts, Bucs, chefs, Titans.  And the two pats games are of course near major games. Do you remember all those years of the pats beating us? They would kill us once and play us close once. I think that what happens this (like last year when we won both) year and we win both again. One close win, one a blow out win. I say we still beat the fish handily. I know, I know, they're a lot better....we still kill 'em though....sweeping the afc east a second year in a row....

I got the Bills going 14-3..... The KC game will determine who gets the bye week. I think right now, the chefs are still the better team, but you have to play the game and root for our Bills! I say Allen is better than last year,  If his line protects him and his weapons are healthy, he will score a lot on any team. He is MVP level for certain. Our STs seem good enough (although McKenzie has to come up big as KO/PR).....It's the defense that probably decides who wins. If the defense can play respectful, come up with some big stops and big plays we stand a great chance at winning. Right now, the Bills defense is very different along the DL with: Obada, Star, Boogie and Groot looking to make a big impact. With Leslie counting on AJ, Ed and Tremaine taking a step up this year. Do the Bills still sign a vet CB to make us comfortably deep?

I sure hope so. Hopefully one much better than last year's swing and miss (Norman who made two and half nice plays on the year). I think it's time the Bills brass studied a ton of film to decide who becomes a Bill moreso than who recently played for the panthers; it's not really working.

Just rambling on, 

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

No way.... Bills had one of the toughest schedules last season. You may be thinking about the year before when they played Houston in playoffs

Agreed.  The narrative last year was that the Bills had made the playoffs the year because of the weak schedule.  Some thought they might even improve, but still not make the playoffs because the schedule was that much tougher.

Edited by fergie's ire

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Not saying you're wrong about us knowing. We certainly don't know until the games start getting played.

But I recall last year the schedule was projected to be easy, not hard. The pre-season narrative was that the Bills playoff chances were good because of the schedule. The NFCW was the only real concern besides KC.

I think that was the year before...In 2020-21, we were considered to have one of the toughest schedule....besides the NFC West, we had to contend with KC, Ten, and the Chiefs...what we got was a lot weaker AFC West.