Bills on the precipice of greatness: Article by Warren Sharp

Big Turk

Old guy here who had season tickets from 1987-1996.  The main thing I remember from that era is that they really started becoming one of the elite teams when Jim Kelly had full understanding of the offense.  Of course there were many other factors like consistency in the front office and coaching, smart acquisition of free agents, good drafting, etc but Kelly's development was the key.

I think Josh is getting there but he's still quite young and still needs a little more "seasoning".  Specifically avoiding the tendency toward "hero ball", although he did cut back on that quite a bit last year once he had some support from talented teammates.  I love how competitive he is, but there are still spots where he lets his emotions get away from him.  

What's different about this team is how close they seem to be, and Josh seems to be the catalyst of that.  It's very rare to see the QB trying to console players on both sides of the ball when they've lost a tough game, but not so much that it hurts their pride.  He's constantly talking to players on the sidelines during a game.  And so far McDermott has shown the rare ability to motivate and discipline in a way that today's players respect.

If I learned anything from being a fan of the team for as long as I have, it's to learn to enjoy the team while they're playing at this level.  And even though the last time the team was consistently good they lost four Super Bowls, I was happy that they were there.  No team is going to go to four straight Superbowls again and there's no guarantee that this team will go on a long run.  Enjoy it while it's here.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Not saying you're wrong about us knowing. We certainly don't know until the games start getting played.

But I recall last year the schedule was projected to be easy, not hard. The pre-season narrative was that the Bills playoff chances were good because of the schedule. The NFCW was the only real concern besides KC.

You and @mannc are both wrong.........the Bills had a projected tough schedule going into the season and they ended up playing the most regular season games against playoff teams of any team in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The comparison to Baltimore is an important one.

The Bills' schedule is tougher this year and teams will be adjusting to their offense.

It's no longer a question about how Daboll/Allen can improve, but rather how they can adjust and evolve from season to season. Matt Breida of under-the-radar importance.

The schedule is decidedly NOT tougher this year. This is a far easier schedule.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills' schedule is tougher this year and teams will be adjusting to their offense.

It's no longer a question about how Daboll/Allen can improve, but rather how they can adjust and evolve from season to season. Matt Breida of under-the-radar importance.

20 hours ago, mannc said:

We don't know if the schedule will be tougher this year.  Last year everyone said we had a killer schedule and it turned out to be meh. 

Factually speaking, both of these statements are false. According to the end of the year metrics and win % analysis, the Bills had *THE* toughest schedule in the NFL last year. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think at least early indications are the Bills schedule should be easier than last years.  Not two years ago easy, but the NFC West and AFC west are 2 of the harder divisions - Give me the AFC and NFC south in the schedule and throw in an extra game against an NFC East team.

The defenses and QBs they face this year are a huge step down from last year in my opinion.  

As good as the Bills were last year a few tweaks here and there could merit some substantial improvment.   

Josh's short coming at times is always looking for the big play.   Many times last year he looked and moved on from an easy short pass for something 

greater and lost his window of opportunity.  the one camp report said Josh was taking those and carving up the defense.

the D dropped off last year.   If we can get back to earlier form on D and not let other teams come back on us, that will also be big.  Too many games last year we started out strong and the 3rd qtr hit and it was like kryptonite on the field.   Getting star back and some younger more athletic players could 

do wonders.  

I think this also may be Brandon's mindset.   we dont nec need a star...< --- no reference to the player...we just need slighty better play across the 

board and some of that is coaching tweaks.  

On 8/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

this is so far from true its not even funny... Yes you never know till you play the team but last year we were tied for like top 5 hardest schedule.

Exactly!

We had a tough schedule last year, we were just better than the other teams.

We went 15-4 , only 3 teams beat us all year and 1 was on a 50 yard hail Mary. 

I'd be surprised if this schedule is considered tougher. 

55 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly!

We had a tough schedule last year, we were just better than the other teams.

We went 15-4 , only 3 teams beat us all year and 1 was on a 50 yard hail Mary. 

I'd be surprised if this schedule is considered tougher. 

on paper right now it is way easier.. but things changes as season progresses, anyone that thinks this is a harder year pre season on paper then last year is just clueless

1 hour ago, Comebackkid said:

As good as the Bills were last year a few tweaks here and there could merit some substantial improvment.   

Josh's short coming at times is always looking for the big play.   Many times last year he looked and moved on from an easy short pass for something 

greater and lost his window of opportunity.  the one camp report said Josh was taking those and carving up the defense.

the D dropped off last year.   If we can get back to earlier form on D and not let other teams come back on us, that will also be big.  Too many games last year we started out strong and the 3rd qtr hit and it was like kryptonite on the field.   Getting star back and some younger more athletic players could 

do wonders.  

I think this also may be Brandon's mindset.   we dont nec need a star...< --- no reference to the player...we just need slighty better play across the 

IF our defense is anywhere near top 5 form then i say we make it to the big game. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

You and @mannc are both wrong.........the Bills had a projected tough schedule going into the season and they ended up playing the most regular season games against playoff teams of any team in the NFL.

The Bills did not play the most games against playoff teams. They played 5.

Steelers, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Chiefs.

The Browns played 7 games against playoff teams. The Steelers played 8. The Colts played 7. I don't know where that narrative came from.

26 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

The Bills did not play the most games against playoff teams. They played 5.

Steelers, Rams, Seahawks, Titans, Chiefs.

The Browns played 7 games against playoff teams. The Steelers played 8. The Colts played 7. I don't know where that narrative came from.

It was on one of the telecasts,  I thought it was late season but it might have been at a point in the season when the Dolphins and Cardinals were in the playoff seeding.    Entering December they had played 7 games against teams over .500, which was the most in the NFL at that time.    They did have a strong schedule.  

Now in 2019........they had an easy schedule and faced a parade of laughable QB's.

18 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

do wonders.  

Improve the run game.  We need to run out the clock in the 4th quarter with an aggressive run game 

Improve the run defense.  we need to stop the run and not let the other teams run on us.  Make teams one dimensional and force them to throw

Improve the pass rush.  We need to get after the opponent QB.   We have invested so much on our DL. IT needs to come through.

We need the following players to step to the next level:

Tremaine Edmunds

A.J. Epenesa 

Ed Oliver 

Zack Moss

Duane Jackson 

Dawson Knox

If each of these players play at 25 to 30% higher level than last year,  we will most likely go back to the AFC Championship again

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Improve the run game.  We need to run out the clock in the 4th quarter with an aggressive run game 

Improve the run defense.  we need to stop the run and not let the other teams run on us.  Make teams one dimensional and force them to throw

Improve the pass rush.  We need to get after the opponent QB.   We have invested so much on our DL. IT needs to come through.

We need the following players to step to the next level:

Tremaine Edmunds

A.J. Epenesa 

Ed Oliver 

Zack Moss

Duane Jackson 

Dawson Knox

If each of these players play at 25 to 30% higher level than last year,  we will most likely go back to the AFC Championship again

those are all improvements that would be nice to see.   Duane Jackson-who?  (wait..Dane)   insert Cody Ford.   

unless either our luck in close games goes totally to crap or this years schedule is 25-30% harder than laster year i dont see the 

need for that much improvement just to get us back to where we were last year.   all the above should make us competitve in the SB.