Olympic high jumpers both get gold medal

Steve O

Guess I'm getting ornery old age approaches, but why would the Olympic committee allow two gold medals for one event? Rather than go to a jump off when they both missed at the same height, the last two contestants asked if they could both get gold medals. The request was granted. They should have been allowed to both get silver medals, not gold. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/08/tokyo-olympics-high-jumpers-share-gold-special-reason

Edited by Steve O
Link
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

My question is why didn't Barshim jump again at the next height?  He cleared the bar on his last jump by a mile where Tamberi just scrapped by.  No guts - no glory?

To quote Dan Gable, "Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts"

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

Guess I'm getting ornery old age approaches, but why would the Olympic committee allow two gold medals for one event? Rather than go to a jump off when they both missed at the same height, the last two contestants asked if they could both get gold medals. The request was granted. They should have been allowed to both get silver medals, not gold. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/08/tokyo-olympics-high-jumpers-share-gold-special-reason

I am petitioning the Committee for a Participation Trophy since I was so emotionally involved.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

My question is why didn't Barshim jump again at the next height?  He cleared the bar on his last jump by a mile where Tamberi just scrapped by.  No guts - no glory?

Twisties.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

and this is why I dont watch a second of the Olympics.

This thing that basically never happens is what prevents you from watching the Olympic Games?  I get it.  I stopped watching football because of all the tied games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This thing that basically never happens is what prevents you from watching the Olympic Games?  I get it.  I stopped watching football because of all the tied games.

Wrong, I dont watch it because of the overall attitude of the participants.   The topic which I am discussing currently is just a further example of why I don't pay it any mind.    Not to mention that beyond maybe 4-5 events its a gigantic waste of time.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wrong, I dont watch it because of the overall attitude of the participants.   The topic which I am discussing currently is just a further example of why I don't pay it any mind.    Not to mention that beyond maybe 4-5 events its a gigantic waste of time.

What attitude is that? 

Look, its not my fault you said you don't watch the Olympics because one time in the high jump 2 gold medals were awarded.

16 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

How many Olympic threads do we need? One for every event? Isn't one enough? 

One was closed because it was co-opted by the PPP crowd.  This one appears to be headed in the same direction.  We have one more week of competition left.  I'd say we will need 10 threads to make it through the closing ceremony.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.