Familiar Bills players who might be on the chopping block…

JohnNord

The Bills roster is about as strong as we’ve seen over the past two decades which means making the team is going to much harder than in previous years.  Low-end Free Agents or late round draft picks are no longer guaranteed a spot as they might have been a few years ago.  

It seems that each offseason Beane and McDermott throw a few curveballs and players we assume to be safe end up getting cut.  

This year I see a few candidates:

Harrison Phillips, Justin Zimmer or Vernon Butler

It appears that the team is looking to utilIe players who can play inside & outside.  The Bills could keep 1 or two extra DE’s that could also flip to play inside and one less dedicated DT.  I think it’s possible 2 out of the 3 names are gone.

Duke Williams

He started a playoff game in 2020 and will likely get cut this offseason.  It speaks to how the WR position has been upgraded. 

Matt Breida

Brings an extra dimension to the RB room with his speed but Antonio Williams has had a great camp and his ability on ST could put him over the edge for the last RB spot.  It appears that Taiwan Jones is a lock to make the roster

Bobby Hart

Don’t let the “start” in TC fool you.  I don’t think Hart makes the team which is rare for a free agent signing.

Isaiah Hodgins or Marques Stevenson 

Late rounds pick like these two were almost guaranteed a roster spot years ago.  Now they could be a victim of a numbers game because it seems like Jake Kumerow is making a strong push for WR6.   Though I’m certain the Bills try to bring them back on the PS, there’s no guarantee another team won’t sign them.  

Any other candidates?  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Vomit 1

They are all bottom of the roster types.  Some will make it.  A few youngs are going to beat out others.  I think Addison is on the block.  Needs to dominate here soon or he will be moved.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

Zimmer I think is a prime target

Duke Williams as well, maybe practice squad.

Bobby Hart as well.

Hodgins and or Stevenson to the practice squad.

Breida is safe.   Butler and Phillips have an inside on track making the final squad unless the Bills pick up a veteran DT.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Matt Breida

Brings an extra dimension to the RB room with his speed but Antonio Williams has had a great camp and his ability on ST could put him over the edge for the last RB spot.  It appears that Taiwan Jones is a lock to make the roster

I can't see a 32 year old RB (in name only) one dimensional ST gunner as a lock.  A ton of other players will be keying on that roster spot

in camp as a way to make the team.  He had 5 Solo Tackles last year with a dropped TD. 

EDIT:  Removed a wrongly worded statement.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3

It may be interesting to see who get snaps in preseason to maybe create a market for late round picks (a Beane specialty) and who might get fewer snaps because they want to stash them on PS. Don’t give other teams much film if you really see the potential up the road and don’t want them plucked from the PS. 

Also, I really doubt Horrible Harry is in serious danger. I’m hoping he’s fully healthy and trusts the knee mentally allowing for a big bounce back. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

Among Phillips, Zimmer and Butler there will be at least one cut.  There might possibly be two, but I don't think Phillips will be one of them.  He's a 1 tech and that's not where the Bills' surplus in DTs lies.  If Obada/Basham/Rousseau get significant reps inside, it won't be at 1 tech. 

Duke Williams has never been more than a fringe player for the Bills.  If he hangs around, it would be on the PS, and that's not likely.  He's pretty much irrelevant in any case.

Matt Brieda will make the team.  He's playing special teams in practice.  Williams may make the team too, or at least be on the PS.  Taiwan Jones is the player at risk of being cut because he is only a special teamer.

Bobby Hart is a long shot to make the team.  He's essentially insurance in the unlikelihood that Spencer Brown and Tommy Doyle both flop.  Beane will trade Hart if he can.

Hodgins and Stevenson are PS candidates.  It wouldn't be surprising if one or the other gets called up during the season because of injury.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can't see a 32 year old RB (in name only) one dimensional ST gunner as a lock.  A ton of other players will be keying on that roster spot

in camp as a way to make the team.  He had 5 Solo Tackles last year with a dropped TD. 

If he makes the team then I will say Beane/McDermott did not do their job concerning that position this off season.

I hear what you’re saying but Brandon Beane said that Jones was an “elite gunner.”  That doesn’t sound like someone who’s spot is on the bubble

27 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They are all bottom of the roster types.  Some will make it.  A few youngs are going to beat out others.  I think Addison is on the block.  Needs to dominate here soon or he will be moved.  

I think the Bills view Addison as a position mentor for their young players.  In the past they’ve kept similar players for leadership roles 

• Like (+1) 2

Not popular but I think Hughes and Addison could get cut or traded if the young bloods impress coaches too much. I know Hughes is well liked on here but he’s close to that age. Last thing anyone wants is to keep an aging veteran who might run out of gas week 8 when you could have a younger cheaper player ready to really get his legs and take off by week 8. 
I know many people won’t agree and that’s ok, I’m not stating it as fact just as a possibility given our influx of younger talent. I also joked in another thread about someone like Addison hitting IR. We may also see some surprise cuts like roberts and Marlowe last year, team guys who might take the cut and come back after teams finalize their rosters. 

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I hear what you’re saying but Brandon Beane said that Jones was an “elite gunner.”  That doesn’t sound like someone who’s spot is on the bubble

Yes and he has to show he is still elite.  I just looked him up and he is 33 years old now.  I'm not saying he won't make the team but I

do not think he is a lock because he is great at 5 plays a game.  He will have tough competition from players who also can contribute at

other positions AND play the gunner position "well" but maybe not "elite".  We will see after all that's what fans said about Andre Roberts.

He is literally a detriment at RB. 

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not popular but I think Hughes and Addison could get cut or traded if the young bloods impress coaches too much. I know Hughes is well liked on here but he’s close to that age. Last thing anyone wants is to keep an aging veteran who might run out of gas week 8 when you could have a younger cheaper player ready to really get his legs and take off by week 8. 
I know many people won’t agree and that’s ok, I’m not stating it as fact just as a possibility given our influx of younger talent. I also joked in another thread about someone like Addison hitting IR. We may also see some surprise cuts like roberts and Marlowe last year, team guys who might take the cut and come back after teams finalize their rosters. 

There is very little chance even one of those guys gets cut and zero chance they both do.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

When I saw the “well known” names in the headline, I wasn’t expecting to see 3 names that nobody would blink over losing. 

I was expecting Hughes or someone like that.  Its the guys who everyone that owns madden cuts in .00134 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If Hughes gets cut, it's not because of a numbers game, it's because his game has fallen off sharply and there's no indication of that yet. He was still quite effective last season. He is a team leader and that makes it difficult to just cut him without good cause.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If Hughes gets cut, it's not because of a numbers game, it's because his game has fallen off sharply and there's no indication of that yet. He was still quite effective last season. He is a team leader and that makes it difficult to just cut him without good cause.

I did say not popular and that the new kids would have to overly impress. 
Is it worth it to have a team leader close to falling off if someone a few years younger like Obada gets cut and has 10 sacks for like Cincinnati or something? 

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I did say not popular and that the new kids would have to overly impress. 
Is it worth it to have a team leader close to falling off if someone a few years younger like Obada gets cut and has 10 sacks for like Cincinnati or something? 

No it's not. But I don't think Hughes it at that point, at least based on last season.

I think we are more in agreement than not.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

No it's not. But I don't think Hughes it at that point, at least based on last season.

I think we are more in agreement than not.

Yeah 100%
I’m not actively rooting for him to go. 
Somebody had to say a name that’s not a backup to make this thread relevant lol 

Jerry and Addison are the only two I could really see as possibilities: 

I didn’t want to use the receiver who shall not be named I was hoping the mods could get a day off 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

How about A.J Klein? I know he came on toward the end and won defensive player of the week, but he was brutally slow at times. Dodson and Tyrell Adams should have more upside.

• JohnNord changed the title to Familiar Bills players who might be on the chopping block…