Why not keep Kumerow

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But what does “all things equal” mean to you in this context?

If all 3 impress and it’s a tough decision for 1 spot… I’d give the speed guy the edge, simply because a burner is the one element we don’t have on the outside. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

All things equal, I’d take Stevenson over Kumerow and Hodgins.  

We have a QB with the most electric arm in the NFL, and we’ve still barely seen him with a speed threat - outside of Hobbly Brown. 

In a world where the more highly regarded college "prospect" is always the better player........yep, Stevenson should be the guy.

Unfortunately,   Stevenson wastes motion that most of the veterans in camp do not at this point.........which negates some of his speed/quickness.

If you take a good long look around the league there is no shortage of guys on roster bubbles with similar raw tools to Stevenson.     The NFL has been absolutely bombarded with WR talent in the past few drafts.    

The right play at this point is to take the guy who is best for them THIS season.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Should they finish camp and the preseason or just make all their roster moves now.

Now.. and I’d prefer they get this stadium situation sorted out by the weekend as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2021 at 4:08 AM, JerseyBills said:

They are taking a serious look.. 

My question is - Is Hodgins safe on the practice squad in year 2? I forget the eligibility requirements.

I feel like he's going to be a very good WR and can replace Sanders next year as a long term option.

He is a 7th round draft pick who missed his rookie season.  I am really surprised that people are making them look like 1st round draft picks.   Most of the teams practice squad players remain PS players for their own team.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If all 3 impress and it’s a tough decision for 1 spot… I’d give the speed guy the edge, simply because a burner is the one element we don’t have on the outside. 

OK, I’m going to sound like I’m nitpicking you but that’s not the intent.....what do you mean by “all 3 impress”?

As WR?  For what aspects of WR play?  Can they all block being the LOS?  Downfield?  Can they all run a complete route tree?

Do they all play ST?  What role on ST?

A lot of folks here were absolutely thrilled with Foster and his burner speed.  But in games, it turned out he couldn’t get a clean release and would get bumped or held, throwing off his timing...and he struggled to track the ball in the air AND run full tilt.  Plus, he couldn’t run other routes well and was not so hot at blocking, so it was kind of “OK, Foster’s in, they’re gonna try a deep shot”.

I understand what I think you’re getting at...you can’t coach speed, so if you can take a speed guy and coach him up to play up to his speed and run crisp, fluid routes and release well off the line, you have a rare, valuable asset.

The problem is on our roster, to win this year, we only have so many spots for guys who may be rare,valuable assets next year or in 2 years

I know Rodgers was pissed when Green Bay cut him. He had just praised Kumerow to reporters and said he was a lock 2 days before they cut him. Rodgers said that drove him nuts and demanded in on personnel decisions. It definitely added to the rift. This was all according to Rappaport I think.

So if the Bills don't want him it sounds like Rodgers might.

His great grandpa was a Chicago mob boss Tony Accardo who came up through the ranks from street hoodlum to run the  Chicago Outfit after Capone for 25 years. 'Big Tuna' 

Not relevant I realize, but interesting nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In a world where the more highly regarded college "prospect" is always the better player........yep, Stevenson should be the guy.

Unfortunately,   Stevenson wastes motion that most of the veterans in camp do not at this point.........which negates some of his speed/quickness.

If you take a good long look around the league there is no shortage of guys on roster bubbles with similar raw tools to Stevenson.     The NFL has been absolutely bombarded with WR talent in the past few drafts.    

The right play at this point is to take the guy who is best for them THIS season.

And don’t forget, last year’s scouting process was abridged - many of these teams never got to study him live.  He’s a safer PS stash this year, anyhow.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I know Rodgers was pissed when Green Bay cut him. He had just praised Kumerow to reporters and said he was a lock 2 days before they cut him. Rodgers said that drove him nuts and demanded in on personnel decisions. It definitely added to the rift. This was all according to Rappaport I think.

So if the Bills don't want him it sounds like Rodgers might.

His great grandpa was a Chicago mob boss Tony Accardo who came up through the ranks from street hoodlum to run the  Chicago Outfit after Capone for 25 years. 'Big Tuna' 

Not relevant I realize, but interesting nonetheless.

That part of the story is interesting but the fact that John Bosa married Eric Kumerow's sister.........both players having been ineffective 16th overall first round selections in successive drafts(87', 88') for the Dolphins.......is quite a story in itself.    Those guys not panning out for Shula had a very positive impact on the Bills SB years.    

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

He is a 7th round draft pick who missed his rookie season.  I am really surprised that people are making them look like 1st round draft picks.   Most of the teams practice squad players remain PS players for their own team.

Ya true but he strikes me as someone a WR needy team would take a chance on. 

I just have hope that he can be a guy that can produce a bit if we get injuries. 

Davis was late 4th rounder and looks like a stud and Hodgins has something most our WR lack- size. 

Either way we are spoiled at the WR position.  This O with a full training camp will only be better than last year imo

On 8/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, BigAl2526 said:

Kumerow is making a strong case for himself.  At the bottom end of your depth chart, you may be looking a bit toward the future.  I would expect if Isaiah Hodgins or Marquez Stevenson can grade out similarly to Kumerow through training camp and preseason, their youth would be seen as a plus.  Kumerow has to be enough better than those two younger players that the Bills have to opt for the advantage Kumerow gives them this season.

Kumerow does not need to be better to make the squad - he needs to provide something different than the other two and he has been doing that on special teams.

If Stevenson wants to win out and make the roster - it is going to come from kick returning duty.  That is his standout point and where he can differentiate himself.

Kumerow is already showing out as gunner and as a potential special teams player - so unless Stevenson really picks it up - I think Kumerow has an advantage.

Hodgkins - I have not heard much on special teams - so my guess is he is potentially drawing a short straw right now.  

None of the 3 make the roster as a WR strictly - they already have 4 guys in that role.  If McKenzie wins both Kick and punt return - then I think Stevenson and Hodgkins are practice squad bound.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That part of the story is interesting but the fact that John Bosa married Eric Kumerow's sister.........both players having been ineffective 16th overall first round selections in successive drafts(87', 88') for the Dolphins.......is quite a story in itself.    Those guys not panning out for Shula had a very positive impact on the Bills SB years.    

I skipped over the Bosa 1st cousin connection assuming people were well aware. I didn't realize the elder Bosa and Kumerow were successive, identical first round picks for Miami though.

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I skipped over the Bosa 1st cousin connection assuming people were well aware. I didn't realize the elder Bosa and Kumerow were successive, identical first round picks for Miami though.

Yeah everybody has heard about the Bosa brothers grandpa being a mob boss........they get a lot of attention because they are star players.........but that's the Kumerow side.   John Bosa was from New Hampshire.    Eric Kumerow came out of HS in Chicago and he and his sister both attended Ohio State.    That's how the Bosa boys ended up at Ohio State despite living in SFLA.    If Jake Kumerow turns into a key contributor we can thank them for him..........but we can always thank the two former 1st rounders for all of those beatings that the Bills gave Tom Olivadotti defenses.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:23 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

We're talking about a guy who has been cut 4 times in the past year (once by GB, once by us, twice by NO). He's had some reported good practices. But so has Stevenson.

That is all true but there is some points that need to be made.

1.  GB cut him but we all know how Rodgers felt about that.

2.  The Bills did cut him but that was situational.  First they protected him 2 times during the season.  Then they activated for gameday twice.

The rules were a PS player could only be called up 2 times.  After they used that up the only way he could play again for the Bills was to

put him permanently on the 53 roster for what would have amounted to the rest of the season.  Not much of a choice but to cut him.

3.  NO picked him up as insurance if their starters couldn't go in the playoffs.  That wasn't necessary so he was released.

I'm not saying he will or should be kept on the Bills.  I'm just showing that players on the bubble get cut for different reasons.

I wish him luck and hope he has a great camp and preseason.

27 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is all true but there is some points that need to be made.

1.  GB cut him but we all know how Rodgers felt about that.

2.  The Bills did cut him but that was situational.  First they protected him 2 times during the season.  Then they activated for gameday twice.

The rules were a PS player could only be called up 2 times.  After they used that up the only way he could play again for the Bills was to

put him permanently on the 53 roster for what would have amounted to the rest of the season.  Not much of a choice but to cut him.

I’m not sure what you mean by “put him permanently on the 53 man roster” but the fact is Kumerow did spend 6 weeks on the Bills 53 man roster last season, active for game day, while John Brown was on IR then the Covid list.  When his 2 call ups ran out, they kept him on the roster for 3 games.

When Brown was activated for the final regular season game, that’s when the Bills cut him and NO claimed him.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When Brown was activated for the final regular season game, that’s when the Bills cut him and NO claimed him.

He had used up his call ups.  I doubt seriously they waived him because of his poor play.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, ganesh said:

Hodgins was a 6th round pick who was viewed as more of a "value" pick than our actual rookie impact WR Gabe Davis by many of the talking heads.

All that said, I think Kumerow is pretty well solidifying his roster spot simply because of his ST ability. Unless GB offers a fairly high draft pick (3rd or 4th round at least) I think he's our ST ace with the ability to play WR with injuries.

And since McKenzie sounds like he's absolutely tearing up camp, the only question remaining is whether we keep 6 or 7 WRs... and if we keep 7, which WR makes the team...

Duke Williams or Tanner Gentry...? :flirt:

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah everybody has heard about the Bosa brothers grandpa being a mob boss........they get a lot of attention because they are star players.........but that's the Kumerow side.   John Bosa was from New Hampshire.    Eric Kumerow came out of HS in Chicago and he and his sister both attended Ohio State.    That's how the Bosa boys ended up at Ohio State despite living in SFLA.    If Jake Kumerow turns into a key contributor we can thank them for him..........but we can always thank the two former 1st rounders for all of those beatings that the Bills gave Tom Olivadotti defenses.

Eric Kumerow's dad is Palmer Pyle, a former guard for the Colts, Vikings, and Raiders. Makes Jake 3rd gen NFLer.

• Like (+1) 1