Why not keep Kumerow

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I really can't see them keeping 7.    Keeping an extra at a position is really more about protecting players at tough to fill positions and the league as a whole is so deep at WR after multiple bountiful drafts in succession that I don't think Hodgins,  Stevenson or Gentry are very likely to be immediately claimed at the end of the preseason even though Bills fans are high on those players.    I was underwhelmed in my first look at Hodgins/Stevenson in practice setting.   I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bills went outside for PS WR talent.  The top 6 looked pretty defined.......the rest have catching up to do, IMO.

I do think we keep 7, if only in ‘official’ position. McKettrick is a lock at both WR & KR. Unless 4 Rookies/new FAs from other positions make the 53, 7 very good WRs will be needed for the long season, imo.

Thank you for your input today!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

A very innocent inquiry , why not really look at Kumerow ? guy has looked good here and in Green Bay..  just a wondering. 

No promises but I’ll see what I can do 

• Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

A very innocent inquiry , why not really look at Kumerow ? guy has looked good here and in Green Bay..  just a wondering. 

He's a good player.

It's simply a matter of slots. We'll have to cut some good players this year.

12 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Dude has one catch as a Bill. I think he’s good and an intriguing prospect, but the Bills cut him for John Brown last year when he came back.

And after the season they cut John Brown and re-signed kumerow …, so…, in the end, they like touch down Jesus more… 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

It's possible

16 practice squad players. Within each practice squad, teams will also be able to carry vested veterans – or players with four or more years of accrued seasons.

Up to six players will be eligible for the practice squad regardless of how many seasons they’ve accrued in the NFL.

Each week, teams will be able to promote up to two players to the active roster. 

So with that new rule, game-day rosters can technically be up to 55 players, allowing for more flexibility each week for teams across the NFL.

each week, teams can protect up to four players from being signed by other teams. 

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/06/nfl-practice-squad-rules-salary-size-eligibility/

• Like (+1) 1

Now that it is a 17 games season is it still just a 53 man roster?  I would think teams can keep a couple more players on the team now. I did they only expand the practice squad roster?

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

It's possible

16 practice squad players. Within each practice squad, teams will also be able to carry vested veterans – or players with four or more years of accrued seasons.

Up to six players will be eligible for the practice squad regardless of how many seasons they’ve accrued in the NFL.

Thank you ALF. Just the information i was wanting.

15 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Are people sleeping on Kumerow? Seems like he's getting a lot of press, and buzz. 

Be that as it may, I certainly wouldn't agree with keeping him over Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis, or McKensie-- at least at the moment. That leaves him battling for likely one remaining spot. If we don't keep him, it's because he will have been beat out by one of the other WRs. Seems like at the moment, he's right in there for competition at that spot. But, it's way too early to say with any confidence who should get it.

15 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

The Tanner kid seems to be doing well so far too. Will see how plays out rest of the way.

Keep them both:wub:

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

I would pump him up at n preseason and trade him back to green bay where Rodgers likes him, unless he is clearly better than the young kids.

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Lee Smith, the last 2 years combined, had 8 catches, 66 yards, and 3 TDs.  I'll take my chances with Brown 

8 catches for 3 tds, just imagine he had 48 catches he would have 18 tds! Why did we not get him the ball more! 😃

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Interesting.  I wasn't at practice but from the outside looking in the top 5 look pretty defined (Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie).  Are you predicting Kumerow is already penciled in as the 6th WR?

He's definitely in the top 6 right now.   He looked more like he was pushing Davis for snaps than fending off Hodgins/Stevenson.    The 11-on-11's were really not a lot of plays to judge upon but just watching all the drills as well he really stood out.    Definitely been working on getting open quicker so he can fit in this offense.    I had seen him as a long shot going into camp myself but he showed a lot of juice.    I would expect we will see a lot of he and Davis at the Z in the preseason as Sanders probably won't be exposed much.    

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And yes - what you're ultimately saying is you'd trade not one, but two 6th Round developmental talents, of which we don't know what they'd become at this point - for Kumerow. A guy that has been around the league for a number of years and one we've cut multiple times before. To me, that seems unlikely.

I know in the past Beane has been unwilling to expose his own rookie draft picks to waivers. But we have to remember the team had substantially less talent when he first took over. It was harder to make the Bills in 2020 than it was to make them in 2019, and it is harder to make the Bills now than it was in 2020. If the team is built right there will eventually always be late round rookies that are no better than PS material, because the experienced depth is too difficult to beat out. So last year you had Dane Jackson placed on the PS. This year it would not be a surprise at all if Hodgins and Stevenson have trouble beating out more established players.

I will say I am slightly concerned with Stevenson being poached by another team, and I'm not usually the type to worry about waiver claims. Hodgins I am almost certain will make it to the PS. At this point he doesn't offer a team anything they couldn't pick up off the street and it isn't like he's been blowing up training camp. Stevenson on the other hand offers elite speed and I feel that the Bills need that element on their offense this year. I get that he isn't as developed a route runner as McKenzie or Kumerow, but neither one of those players have the ability to take the top off the defense like Stevenson can. I find myself hoping, not for the first time, that the Bills actually keep 7 WRs on the roster this year. But it's probably a very slim chance.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Why not? Because you generally only keep 5-6 WR's at a time. I've seen us carry 7 once or twice, but it's not very common. Plus, this season everyone wants us to keep a 6th Defensive End and a 6th Cornerback as well. And you can't keep an extra guy at all these positions without severely hindering the 53 at depth in a number of places to make it happen. 

So long story short, which two players do you cut at WR when your roster looks like this?

Stefon Diggs

Cole Beasley

Emmanuel Sanders

Gabe Davis

Isaiah McKenzie

Marquez Stevenson (2021 Draft Pick)

Isaiah Hodgins (2020 Draft Pick)

Jake Kumerow

I'm a Kumerow fan. But we're so deep, it's really uphill sledding for him.

Why is everyone assuming that Hodgins a lock to make this roster

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If our offense is going to be the same as last year where the pass sets up everything. I could very well see Bills going into season with 7WRs. 

They definitely can go in with 7 WRs if they cut their TE depth to 3 instead of 4