Why not keep Kumerow

4 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Good points.  I believe there's a better chance this year for 7 WRs.  OL Brown could fill a dual role of swing tackle and TE 4 (Lee Smith's role last year).  If so, this would create an extra roster spot.  

A rookie OL is not going to replace everything that Lee Smith did last 2 years.

2 hours ago, wjag said:

Anyone think they gave him all the reps today because of the national media attention?  Were they shopping him today?  First this week Rodgers comes out and specially calls him out, again. Then he is a featured receiver on national media day. Me thinks he is gone. 

They gave him reps because a lot of veteran WRs were taking rest days already and he knew the playbook well.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I think the early buzz was about Hodgins, so Kumerow was overlooked or forgotten to some extent, despite the fact that Hodgins hasn't played an NFL game. One of the two will make the 53, and Kumerow is the odds on favorite because of his experience and ST ability.  I don't think it will be all that difficult to get Hodgins on the PS since he's a 7th round draft pick that hasn't played an NFL game, and he needs that experience.

I think the WRs will be Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie, and Kumerow, with Hodgins and Stevenson on the PS.

Agree unless Tanner Gantry replace one of the draftees who have never played before.

It's hard to project WR's at this point because we don't know if they're keeping six or seven.  We also don't know if McKenzie and/or Stevenson can handle punt and kick return duties.  Kumerow's best chance would be the Bills feeling comfortable with McKenzie handling kick and punt duties and the Bills keeping seven (Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie, Hodgins, Kumerow).

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hodgins may have been drafted but he hasn’t had a good camp so far and he doesn’t play ST. He has PS written all over him IMO. To be fair it’s early in camp, only been 4 practices. 

Today at least,  the gap between Kumerow and Hodgins looked wide.   Like two different tiers of players.   It's worth noting that Hodgins got some run with the 3rd team in the last 11-on-11's.    It looks like he's got an uphill battle.

Stevenson looked unsophisticated in his routes on short throws..........so don't look for him as a slot guy to beat out McKenzie(who looked sharp all around).  

In the first set of 11-on-11's they also ran a play with McKenzie lined up as a RB offset to Allen's right..........they ran a designed QB run out of that set......but using McKenzie out of the backfield and not just on jet sweeps has been something some have mentioned as a way of getting more speed on the field.......so it's worth noting that they showed that at least.    I know there was some line of thought that McKenzie/Stevenson was an either/or battle but it's hard to envision them cutting McKenzie with the experience he brings.  

If Stevenson makes the roster it will probably because he shows he can take the top off of a defense in preseason...........but I wouldn't give him that edge over Kumerow the way he looked today.    Kumerow looked fast.......efficient footwork for such a big WR......and he's big and physical and showed some nice concentration on that tipped pass that he caught(but really he was excellent in all the drills, not just the 11-on-11's).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's hard to project WR's at this point because we don't know if they're keeping six or seven.  We also don't know if McKenzie and/or Stevenson can handle punt and kick return duties.  Kumerow's best chance would be the Bills feeling comfortable with McKenzie handling kick and punt duties and the Bills keeping seven (Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie, Hodgins, Kumerow).

I really can't see them keeping 7.    Keeping an extra at a position is really more about protecting players at tough to fill positions and the league as a whole is so deep at WR after multiple bountiful drafts in succession that I don't think Hodgins,  Stevenson or Gentry are very likely to be immediately claimed at the end of the preseason even though Bills fans are high on those players.    I was underwhelmed in my first look at Hodgins/Stevenson in practice setting.   I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bills went outside for PS WR talent.  The top 6 looked pretty defined.......the rest have catching up to do, IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I really can't see them keeping 7.    Keeping an extra at a position is really more about protecting players at tough to fill positions and the league as a whole is so deep at WR after multiple bountiful drafts in succession that I don't think Hodgins,  Stevenson or Gentry are very likely to be immediately claimed at the end of the preseason even though Bills fans are high on those players.    I was underwhelmed in my first look at Hodgins/Stevenson in practice setting.   I wouldn't even be surprised if the Bills went outside for PS WR talent.  The top 6 looked pretty defined.......the rest have catching up to do, IMO.

Interesting.  I wasn't at practice but from the outside looking in the top 5 look pretty defined (Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie).  Are you predicting Kumerow is already penciled in as the 6th WR?

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Cutting two draft picks to keep Kumerow? I don't see it.

What? 6th round picks get cut in their first/second season quite a lot. 

Please elaborate what you "see" that leads you to believe they'll be on the active roster? Your only reason seems to be "they were 6th round draft picks".

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

What? 6th round picks get cut in their first/second season quite a lot. 

Please elaborate what you "see" that leads you to believe they'll be on the active roster? Your only reason seems to be "they were 6th round draft picks".

Specifically, Marquez Stevenson. We needed a true speedster in our WR core going into this offseason. We also needed a Kick Returner to replace Roberts. Stevenson was drafted for both. I'm not convinced Isaiah McKenzie is the man for the job. He was cut by the Broncos for fumbling too many returns. A whopping 6 in 2017 and 2 more in 2018. When Roberts was unavailable, we often put Micah Hyde on Punt Returns simply because of their faith in his ability to cleanly retrieve them. Which speaks volumes of their faith or lack thereof on McKenzie.

And yes - what you're ultimately saying is you'd trade not one, but two 6th Round developmental talents, of which we don't know what they'd become at this point - for Kumerow. A guy that has been around the league for a number of years and one we've cut multiple times before. To me, that seems unlikely.

One of them will stick, my gut saying Stevenson. And while I don't believe McKenzie will be our Returner, his versatility and what he has provided in our Offense trumps that of Kumerow. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Why not? Because you generally only keep 5-6 WR's at a time. I've seen us carry 7 once or twice, but it's not very common. Plus, this season everyone wants us to keep a 6th Defensive End and a 6th Cornerback as well. And you can't keep an extra guy at all these positions without severely hindering the 53 at depth in a number of places to make it happen. 

So long story short, which two players do you cut at WR when your roster looks like this?

1 Stefon Diggs

2 Cole Beasley

3 Emmanuel Sanders

4 Gabe Davis

5 Isaiah McKenzie

6 Jake Kumerow

You put these 2 on the practice squad.

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Marquez Stevenson (2021 Draft Pick)

Isaiah Hodgins (2020 Draft Pick)

I'm a Kumerow fan. But we're so deep, it's really uphill sledding for him.

29 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You put these 2 on the practice squad.

You have to cut them to put them on the Practice Squad. And if they make it to the Practice Squad, anyone can sign them off at any time. I like Kumerow but we know what he is. He's floated around the league and been released multiple times. These are two developmental players who could be lottery tickets we've put investments into. Maybe one doesn't cut it. But I don't see us bailing on both for Kumerow. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You have to cut them to put them on the Practice Squad. And if they make it to the Practice Squad, anyone can sign them off at any time. I like Kumerow but we know what he is. He's floated around the league and been released multiple times. These are two developmental players who could be lottery tickets we've put investments into. Maybe one doesn't cut it. But I don't see us bailing on both for Kumerow. 

Feel free to disagree, you said you didn't see how we'd do it. I offered the only plausible option for keeping him.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Specifically, Marquez Stevenson. We needed a true speedster in our WR core going into this offseason. We also needed a Kick Returner to replace Roberts. Stevenson was drafted for both. I'm not convinced Isaiah McKenzie is the man for the job. He was cut by the Broncos for fumbling too many returns. A whopping 6 in 2017 and 2 more in 2018. When Roberts was unavailable, we often put Micah Hyde on Punt Returns simply because of their faith in his ability to cleanly retrieve them. Which speaks volumes of their faith or lack thereof on McKenzie.

And yes - what you're ultimately saying is you'd trade not one, but two 6th Round developmental talents, of which we don't know what they'd become at this point - for Kumerow. A guy that has been around the league for a number of years and one we've cut multiple times before. To me, that seems unlikely.

One of them will stick, my gut saying Stevenson. And while I don't believe McKenzie will be our Returner, his versatility and what he has provided in our Offense trumps that of Kumerow. 

They have literally already done this to Hodgins. Hodgins was actually drafted last year and put on the practice squad. 

You're also confused that people are saying that this won't change after 4 days of camp and those players push ahead of Kumerow. The entire premise that you've not grasped or intentionally ignored for some reason is that as of today, Kumerow has been the better wide receiver. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

They have literally already done this to Hodgins.

Not true. He was put on Injured Reserve. Widely considered to have been done specifically to not subject him to possibly being poached from the Practice Squad.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not true. He was put on Injured Reserve. Widely considered to have been done specifically to not subject him to possibly being poached from the Practice Squad.

Ahh, we're on to Isiah Hodgins either had an unnecessary surgery or faked having surgery to avoid being on the practice squad and the Bills went along with this instead of just putting him on the active roster for reasons. 

The Legend of Isiah Hodgins has eclipsed the Legend of Kiko Alonso, Robert Foster and Will Borgen combined. 

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ahh, we're on to Isiah Hodgins either had an unnecessary surgery or faked having surgery to avoid being on the practice squad and the Bills went along with this instead of just putting him on the active roster for reasons. 

The Legend of Isiah Hodgins has eclipsed the Legend of Kiko Alonso, Robert Foster and Will Borgen combined. 

One can argue that we're entering The Legend of Jake Kumerow territory as well here...