Ravens sign Justin Houston

NewEra

14 hours ago, Weatherman said:

This is becoming the arm chair GM thread.  Beane took a bottom 10 team and turned into a top 3 team with a top 3 QB and top 3 WR in 4 years yet I know better than him thread.  

I know, it’s so entertaining to read the opinions of how The FO has missed the boat on players who evidently don’t want to play in Buffalo, or they would already be here, and folk really appear to think this is the case by the way the write stuff… it’s like watching a soap… 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Just so glad we addressed this in our draft.....we know exactly who our pass rusher's are going to be for the forseeable future......all on cost controlled contracts.

Would’ve liked to have a guy like Houston as a good insurance policy in case it takes our top 2 picks a little more time to develop. I kind of feel like they’re putting a lot of faith in rookies which is a bit foolish. Correct me if I’m wrong.

21 minutes ago, eball said:

You keep repeating this but I guarantee you that’s not how Beane and McD look at it.  Yes, the pieces are in place to be a legitimate Super Bowl team this season, but crazy things happen.  The Bills as an organization are now “playoffs or bust — every year.”  Lots of things need to happen to win a Super Bowl but I’m not wringing my hands over Beane not signing Houston and going with what he’s got instead.  Addison had too many snaps last season and it limited his effectiveness — that’s a fact.  He is also a “great locker room presence for our young guys” and a superb individual.  With less work he is likely to be as productive as Houston.  I love what Beane did for the DL this offseason.  I also think Baltimore is a top 5 organization in the league and this is a good signing for them.

To me, “super bowl or bust” means if we don’t at least make the super bowl, than it wasn’t a successful season.  Maybe a good season with lots of accomplishments.  Individuals may have had great seasons and we may set franchise records.  As a franchise, we failed to reach an attainable goal that was set.   That’s how I see.   

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I know, it’s so entertaining to read the opinions of how The FO has missed the boat on players who evidently don’t want to play in Buffalo, or they would already be here, and folk really appear to think this is the case by the way the write stuff… it’s like watching a soap… 😁👍

Dude only got 4 million to play there. Money talks. If Buffalo offered 5 then he would be here suiting up for training camp right now.

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Would’ve liked to have a guy like Houston as a good insurance policy in case it takes our top 2 picks a little more time to develop. I kind of feel like they’re putting a lot of faith in rookies which is a bit foolish. Correct me if I’m wrong.

KC appears to be putting their faith in some rookies on their O line, getting first team reps and all… so it’s not unprecedented to do this, will it work out for either team? We shall see I guess, I think GR & BB are going to shine this season, with the expected ups and downs that rookies generally have, 

12 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Dude only got 4 million to play there. Money talks. If Buffalo offered 5 then he would be here suiting up for training camp right now.

Not if he doesn’t want to play in Buffalo…, 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Someone saying that Houston is better than Addison and would’ve been a better acquisition is like watching a soap……interesting.  

You’re currently on a specific message board made entirely to discuss Buffalo Bills.  Discussions on said message board often include roster moves and our amazing GM.  An amazing GM that has made mistakes in the past, just like EVERY GM has made in the past.  It’s what we do on this message boards…..discuss all things bills.  The discussions sometimes include an opposite opinion of the amazing GM…….and then the **** hits the fan.   That’s where the soap opera begins my friend.

was signing Mario Addison a good acquisition for this franchise?  No.  When we signed him, I was ok with it because I believed in Beane.  But Beane is human and makes mistakes too.  Addison was an awful acquisition.  People not wanting to pay Houston 4M and calling him old were ok with giving Addison 3 years 30M at the same age Houston is now.  Addison is older, lesser and was NEVER as good as Houston.  If you disagree, feel free, but you’re wrong.  

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Objection.  Speculation.  Objection granted.

• Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

KC appears to be putting their faith in some rookies on their O line, getting first team reps and all… so it’s not unprecedented to do this, will it work out for either team? We shall see I guess, I think GR & BB are going to shine this season, with the expected ups and downs that rookies generally have, 

I feel like DE has more bust potential than O-line excluding LT. You can plug and play a G, C, or T and get average play for the most part unless your scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel for guys. Especially w/ someone like Allen or even Mahomes who both have great pocket maneuverability and scrambling. With a guy like Stafford, I would trust a rookie lineman a little less.

Defensive end/3-4 OLB is a different animal. I feel like guys bust a lot more frequently at that position. Putting all yours eggs in a rookie pass rusher basket seems risky even when they double down in the 2nd round. As you say, we shall see… 

P.S. I can guarantee w/ almost 100% certainty that Houston has a price.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Someone saying that Houston is better than Addison and would’ve been a better acquisition is like watching a soap……interesting.  

You’re currently on a specific message board made entirely to discuss Buffalo Bills.  Discussions on said message board often include roster moves and our amazing GM.  An amazing GM that has made mistakes in the past, just like EVERY GM has made in the past.  It’s what we do on this message boards…..discuss all things bills.  The discussions sometimes include an opposite opinion of the amazing GM…….and then the **** hits the fan.   That’s where the soap opera begins my friend.

was signing Mario Addison a good acquisition for this franchise?  No.  When we signed him, I was ok with it because I believed in Beane.  But Beane is human and makes mistakes too.  Addison was an awful acquisition.  People not wanting to pay Houston 4M and calling him old were ok with giving Addison 3 years 30M at the same age Houston is now.  Addison is older, lesser and was NEVER as good as Houston.  If you disagree, feel free, but you’re wrong.  

Objection.  Speculation.  Objection granted.

It’s the adamant verbiage, and the unwavering notion that a poster (you in this particular case) could never be wrong and not have considered the multitude of other reasons surrounding why a given player did not sign with the Bills, and yes it’s very entertaining, very soap ish,  It certainly would be nice to always sign the best available player at a given moment, but as we all know there are reasons why players choose one of the other thirty one teams to play for, being obstinate in ones views, well…, we’ll just leave that, as it were, nuthin but luv, 😁👍 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 2

Just now, Don Otreply said:

It’s the adamant verbiage, and the unwavering notion that a poster (you in this particular case) could never be wrong and not have considered the multitude of other reasons surrounding why a given player did not sign with the Bills, and yes it’s very entertaining, very soap ish,  It certainly would be nice to always sign the best available player at a given moment, but as we all know there are reasons why players choose one of the other thirty one teams to play for, being obstinate in ones views, well…, we’ll just leave that, as it were, nuthin but luv, 😁👍 

Go Bills!!!

I am wrong all the time.  It’s my opinion that Justin Houston would’ve been better for this team than Mario Addison.  It’s a fact that Justin Houston is and has always been a better player than Mario Addison.  There is no debate in that regard.  

regarding whether or not he would’ve signed here if we offered him enough $, I have no clue either way.  Either do you.  We’re one of a handful of super bowl contenders.  The guys spent his career in KC, Indy and signed with Baltimore.  Weather certainly doesn’t matter to him.  Signs point towards him signing with us if we offered him.  But you’re right….we don’t “know” for sure, so we shouldn’t even talk about it.  My bad.  But I’m glad that you’re entertained.  That’s why message boards exist

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How do you know he doesn’t want to play in Buffalo?

The guy signed in Baltimore, why wouldn’t he play in Buffalo?

Oh I forgot that all NFL players are falling all over each other for the chance to play only for Buffalo, how silly of me to think otherwise…  they would never have a reason that would sway that decision…, 

and you answered your own question, in theory he had a choice, he signed with Baltimore… maybe the guy likes the area, maybe McDermott and Beane think he’s a tool and want no part of him, who the F knows 😂😁😆 but he didn’t sign with Buffalo…  

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 2

On 7/31/2021 at 1:44 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Didn't like most of the moves last year including Epenesa pick. But having him drop weight and then adding two young pass rushers should be a big improvement. 

I think Espinosa ADDED weight not dropped it.

24 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

The Houston signing makes me wonder if the rookie from PennSt is struggling. Either that or Houston is a nice mentor/ transitional piece. Either way good move for Baltimore.

Oweh is raw.  Pairing him with a short term vet like Houston is the right move.  He can back him up and learn from him while he earns his reps.  The Ravens were very thin there as well so it’s not like they didn’t need another body anyway. 

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

I think Espinosa ADDED weight not dropped it.

Not sure what you have been reading, but It's been very well documented that Beane and McD asked him to lose weight last year.  which he did.  

38 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

The Houston signing makes me wonder if the rookie from PennSt is struggling. Either that or Houston is a nice mentor/ transitional piece. Either way good move for Baltimore.

Baltimore has always liked having experience on defense mixed with some youth.  

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I am wrong all the time.  It’s my opinion that Justin Houston would’ve been better for this team than Mario Addison.  It’s a fact that Justin Houston is and has always been a better player than Mario Addison.  There is no debate in that regard.  

regarding whether or not he would’ve signed here if we offered him enough $, I have no clue either way.  Either do you.  We’re one of a handful of super bowl contenders.  The guys spent his career in KC, Indy and signed with Baltimore.  Weather certainly doesn’t matter to him.  Signs point towards him signing with us if we offered him.  But you’re right….we don’t “know” for sure, so we shouldn’t even talk about it.  My bad.  But I’m glad that you’re entertained.  That’s why message boards exist

How can you say you trust Beane and than proceed to cry about every FA he signs/doesn’t sign?

I understand this is a place to discuss Bills football, but you come across as very arrogant and juvenile.  It’s like you are 5 and papa Brandon told you “no” to a toy you wanted.  

Edited by Weatherman

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not sure what you have been reading, but It's been very well documented that Beane and McD asked him to lose weight last year.  which he did.  

Epenesa was asked to lose weight, but it wound up that it was too much so they had him add some back during the season.  I think that is probably the point of confusion. 

Edited by BarleyNY

30 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

How can you say you trust Beane and than proceed to cry about every FA he signs/doesn’t sign?

I understand this is a place to discuss Bills football, but you come across as very arrogant and juvenile.  It’s like you are 5 and papa Brandon told you “no” to a toy you wanted.  

This will be my last reply to you, then you will go on ignore.  You’ve already taken up more of my time that you deserve.  Of you actually came to the plate with something of worth, it may be different, yet all you do is attack in one or two sentences of ridicule with zero substance.  The ignore is based on your lies and the fact that you continue to exaggerate and make things up. 

I don’t cry about “every FA he signs and doesn’t sign”. Many here can attest to this nonsense that you spew.   I think Beane has done a great job.  I wouldn’t trade he or McD for any GM or coach in the league.   I wouldn’t trade Allen for Mahomes.  Yet, I’m not so much of a homer that I can state when “I THINK” he made a mistake and can share it on a bills message board knowing that the homer cavalry will attack me for saying Beane might have made a mistake.  GMs never make mistakes right?  Wrong.  But some think that it’s sacrilegious to talk about it on a fan site. 

You call me juvenile, yet you personally attack me in each of your replies.  Keep on keeping on my man.  Good bye.  Useless Old Timey Baseball GIF by Team Coco

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:48 PM, SWATeam said:

Addison has more sacks over the last 5 years than Houston, just saying.

I mean, Houston was injured in 2016 and only played 5 games. 

Houston had 9.5 sacks last season to Addison's 5.  Let's hope Mario returns to his Carolina form.

Edited by Chicken Boo

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I mean, Houston was injured in 2016 and only played 5 games. 

Houston had 9.5 sacks last season to Addison's 5.  Let's hope Mario returns to his Carolina form.

No doubt Mario had a down year.

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

No doubt Mario had a down year.

His 2019 year in Carolina was a classic case of the numbers overstating his performance. I said this 12 months ago and as @NewEra has been here was roundly dismisses. Too many people here don't watch the film or know what they are watching. Addison was a player on the downslope in 2019 who posted unusual sack production given his pass rush effectiveness. That was not sustainable and 2020 went as I expected. 

• Thank you (+1) 1