Ravens sign Justin Houston

NewEra

On 7/31/2021 at 1:39 PM, NewEra said:

Think whatever you like.  He is an effective pass rusher, smart football player qnd good locker room presence that could’ve helped our young kids. He would’ve led our team in sacks the last 4 years. He’s twice the player Addison is

Last 4 years -

9.5 sacks

9.0 sacks

11 sacks

8 sacks

Just a little note that for most of Houston's career, including the first two numbers on your list, he was playing LOLB in a 3-4 defense.

Also a little note that while Addison definitely did not have the year he was expected to have last year, based on his previous results:

9.5 sacks

11 sacks

9.5 sacks

9 sacks

5 sacks

If you're bringing out 8-11 sack years in previous years and different systems to argue he's "twice the player Addison is" I don't think that argument really holds up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His 2019 year in Carolina was a classic case of the numbers overstating his performance. I said this 12 months ago and as @NewEra has been here was roundly dismisses. Too many people here don't watch the film or know what they are watching. Addison was a player on the downslope in 2019 who posted unusual sack production given his pass rush effectiveness. That was not sustainable and 2020 went as I expected. 

I want to give new additions to the team last year a bit of a pass.  It was a weird year with no off-season.

Hopefully our rookies and/or Obada can relegate Addison to a rotational piece.  But I think the hate in him is overblown.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:12 PM, NewEra said:

How would you like me to prove that he’s better?  Bust out Adobe and edit film?  People that know football know that Houston has always been a superior player to Addison.  I don’t have to “prove” who is better. It’s known

The thing is, if they're playing different systems, people who know football know that it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

I thought Houston looked good in Indy last season, but he's played predominantly in a 3-4 system all his career until Indy. 

Last I knew that's what Wink runs in Baltimore.

For all we know, Houston had offers from 4-3 teams but was looking  to return to his 3-4 roots.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

As productive as Houston? Based on what? Houston is the better player hands down…. The Bills have faith in their guys and that’s fine. But Houston is a better player, regardless of snap count. 

Scott, you can look up the stats yourself.

These are two players who have, over the past five seasons, produced remarkably similar performance.

At one time Houston was a feared pass rusher.  Now he’s simply a good solid veteran.  I didn’t say Baltimore made a bad signing; I said I don’t see why Beane would think the Bills needed to sign him and cut Addison.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, RyanC883 said:

huge miss by Bean, IMO.  The strategy here is "hope."  Houston is a proven pass rusher who has outperformed everyone on our roster the past couple of seasons.  

We are assuming Houston wanted to come to Buffalo!

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a little note that for most of Houston's career, including the first two numbers on your list, he was playing LOLB in a 3-4 defense.

Also a little note that while Addison definitely did not have the year he was expected to have last year, based on his previous results:

9.5 sacks

11 sacks

9.5 sacks

9 sacks

5 sacks

If you're bringing out 8-11 sack years in previous years and different systems to argue he's "twice the player Addison is" I don't think that argument really holds up.

I’m not using stats to argue Houston is better than addison.  I used the stats replying to someone that said insinuated that Houston was good in 2014, but not anymore.  I just happened to write the addison statement at the end, nothing to do with stats, I’m aware of his sack stats.  

Justin Houston was an elite pass rusher.  Mario was never close to the same player as Houston. There is no debate and I don’t think I should have to justify that statement.  It’s just a fact. Houston has always been better than Addison.  As the great NOTORIOUS BIG once said, “If you don’t know, now you know, *****” 😉

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, if they're playing different systems, people who know football know that it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

I thought Houston looked good in Indy last season, but he's played predominantly in a 3-4 system all his career until Indy. 

Last I knew that's what Wink runs in Baltimore.

For all we know, Houston had offers from 4-3 teams but was looking  to return to his 3-4 roots.

Absolutely.  I agree.  When he left KC I was hoping we’d sign him but wasn’t sure how he’d fit in a 4-3.  But as you said, he was pretty good last year in the 4-3. Extremely good the previous year.  He’s probably  slowing down……but a 1 year contract for half of what we paid Josh Norman last year, playing the 2nd most important position in football. Idk. 

I saw 4m on espn, but spotrac says 1 year $2,075,000

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/justin-houston-7789/

I really think the reason we didn’t go after him is because of Beanes convo with Mario (or his agent).  I feel that addison took a pay cut with the promise of making the team.  Plus the additions of Obada, Rousseau and Basham along with Hughes, epenesa and Addison…..there’s no room.  If they would’ve cut addison, I think Houston probably would’ve been a bill.  Dude is a class act, great leader and pillar of his community.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I want to give new additions to the team last year a bit of a pass.  It was a weird year with no off-season.

Hopefully our rookies and/or Obada can relegate Addison to a rotational piece.  But I think the hate in him is overblown.

The point is last year wasn't some strange down year for Addison. It was a continuation of his 2019 form without the unsustainable sack production. He was not as good as the bare sack numbers suggest in 2019. That isn't to say he is hopeless but he is a clearly declining player.

• Like (+1) 1