Ravens sign Justin Houston

NewEra

Just now, thurst44 said:

You used stats to attempt to show Addison was better than Houston (there's no other way to read your post) and neglected to put Addison's next to them--maybe you knew they were similar, maybe you didn't. But don't lash out at me when I called you on it.

I'd agree that Houston is the better player overall, and definitely so in his prime. At this point in their career, not quite as much. I'm not lobbying for either player on this team (as I said in my post). It's just that we have a tendency to go after whipping boys in a dishonest manner and it gets tiring eventually. Mario was mediocre last year. You're not going to get any argument from me, and I'm fine if they cut him. I don't want Houston at this point in his career either based on cost/benefit. Just don't use bogus "facts" that are easily countered as proof of how much better one player is than the other. 

If you want to go by stats from the last 4 years, as you did, well, then the 4 years of Addison before we signed him are close to the same as Houston--Addison had more sacks, Houston more tackles. I did not realize we were going by the measurable "People that know football know..."

Houston is and always has been better than Addison.  Everyone knows this. It’s common knowledge man.  This isn’t even a conversation.  I just so happened to showed recent stats to someone who insinuated that Houston isn’t good anymore because “it wasn’t 2014”. Stats had nothing to do with a comparison between Addison and Houston.  

Maybe I should scour the interwebs looking comparisons because Houston and Addison.  Maybe I should subscribe to pff so I can breakdown their advanced stats.   Maybe I should breakdown game tape and edit the video. 

Or maybe you should just know that Houston is better than Addison. Always has been.  Always will be. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Houston is and always has been better than Addison.  Everyone knows this. It’s common knowledge man.  This isn’t even a conversation.  I just so happened to showed recent stats to someone who insinuated that Houston isn’t good anymore because “it wasn’t 2014”. Stats had nothing to do with a comparison between Addison and Houston.  

Maybe I should scour the interwebs looking comparisons because Houston and Addison.  Maybe I should subscribe to pff so I can breakdown their advanced stats.   Maybe I should breakdown game tape and edit the video. 

Or maybe you should just know that Houston is better than Addison. Always has been.  Always will be. 

I agree that Houston has been better than Addison but the fact of the matter is they’re both old

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Oh, now I see... you're on a quest against Beane. You're not necessarily wrong about the DL, but maybe we should not completely judge based on the weirdest season in NFL history. I say this as someone who never liked the Butler signing particularly, was meh about Addison (seemed safe and consistent enough) and thought Jefferson was intriguing (he was the one who showed up least on rewatches.

Oh I see, you have no clue what you’re talking about.  

I love Beane…..:he made mistakes.  I stated them on a a bills message board.  Madness ensues because people are sensitive 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I agree that Houston has been better than Addison but the fact of the matter is they’re both old

What does old have to do with 2021 John? Emmanuel sanders is old.  You like that signing?  Oh but…. 

• Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh I see, you have no clue what you’re talking about.  

I love Beane…..:he made mistakes.  I stated them on a a bills message board.  Madness ensues because people are sensitive 

What does old have to do with 2021 John? Emmanuel sanders is old.  You like that signing?  Oh but…. 

I do like the sander signing and you know what the differences there are several other wide receivers on this team that are more than capable of performing if Sanders doesn’t work out by the way he’s already out with a back injury

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

is this the thread where you find heated debates?

🍿

This is becoming the arm chair GM thread.  Beane took a bottom 10 team and turned into a top 3 team with a top 3 QB and top 3 WR in 4 years yet I know better than him thread.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

You’re right we should build a team around aging vets who are due to hit the wall any year now rather than injecting life into defense of line using the draft with high draft picks

I never said anything about building with aging vets and I made no mention or advocacy for acquiring Houston. Wtf are you talking about?

I merely pointed out that assuming two guys who have never played a down in the NFL will be starters for years to come is a ridiculous assumption. Add to that the fact  that neither is considered a talented outside rusher and it's even more ridiculous.

I'm not against those draft picks. I'm just not assuming they will be successful starters. Even if they do both work out they may not contribute very much this year, which is the very reason you bring in older proven vets on one year deals.

Wtf is so hard to understand about that?

Just now, Turk71 said:

I never said anything about building with aging vets and I made no mention or advocacy for acquiring Houston. Wtf are you talking about?

I merely pointed out that assuming two guys who have never played a down in the NFL will be starters for years to come is a ridiculous assumption. Add to that the fact  that neither is considered a talented outside rusher and it's even more ridiculous.

I'm not against those draft picks. I'm just not assuming they will be successful starters. Even if they do both work out they may not contribute very much this year, which is the very reason you bring in older proven vets on one year deals.

Wtf is so hard to understand about that?

I understood what you were saying they’re only so many spots on the team I’m trying to realistically understand how you think this would go here if we brought in that player I think Addison is a cut we just drafted two defensive ends and we have a obada we have Hughes where do you think we are going to be able to sneak that guy in if we take our two draft picks and try to put them to practice squad they’ll get snapped up so quick we won’t know what hit us you’re not being realistic

30 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

This is becoming the arm chair GM thread.  Beane took a bottom 10 team and turned into a top 3 team with a top 3 QB and top 3 WR in 4 years yet I know better than him thread.  

No, this is the thread where you continue to make yourself look like “that guy”

Beane is amazing. I trust that we’ll eventually win a super bowl under him (mostly thanks to drafting 17). Not everyone is going to sit there and say “Beane is a great Gm, every move he makes is 💯 the right move”.  You have a problem with another person having the opinion that something Beane did is a bad move.  Listen to you dude. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, NewEra said:

No, this is the thread where you continue to make yourself look like “that guy”

Beane is amazing. I trust that we’ll eventually win a super bowl under him (mostly thanks to drafting 17). Not everyone is going to sit there and say “Beane is a great Gm, every move he makes is 💯 the right move”.  You have a problem with another person having the opinion that something Beane did is a bad move.  Listen to you dude. 

That guy as in someone who likes what our GM has done and doesn’t cry when every free agent I want doesn’t get signed by the Bills?  There’s not a single GM that hasn’t drafted busts and/or signed a perceived premium FAs who ended up being a scrubs.  Get over yourself, you’re not a sports GM for a reason.

• Eyeroll 1

49 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

That guy as in someone who likes what our GM has done and doesn’t cry when every free agent I want doesn’t get signed by the Bills?  There’s not a single GM that hasn’t drafted busts and/or signed a perceived premium FAs who ended up being a scrubs.  Get over yourself, you’re not a sports GM for a reason.

No, that guy that has to attack peoples opinions because it opposes the GM and that guy that acts as if it’s preposterous to think that GM could be wrong about something.  Has he never made a mistake? He has.  And myself and others have stated that they thought he was wrong about some of those moves.  It’s a message board.  This is what people do.  Doesn’t sound like it’s for you

Edited by NewEra
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I understood what you were saying they’re only so many spots on the team I’m trying to realistically understand how you think this would go here if we brought in that player I think Addison is a cut we just drafted two defensive ends and we have a obada we have Hughes where do you think we are going to be able to sneak that guy in if we take our two draft picks and try to put them to practice squad they’ll get snapped up so quick we won’t know what hit us you’re not being realistic

Once again I never advocated for or against bringing in Houston. The only reason I even commented in this thread was in response to this assumption of yours before a single snap in either career:

'we know exactly who our pass rusher's are going to be for the forseeable future......all on cost controlled contracts.'

It is disingenuous to put words in people's mouths and assume to know their unstated opinions for the sake of argument.

Have a good day fellow Bills fan.

You are my fellow bills friend and brother and I stand by what I said whenever you take players in the first and second round you were going to give them every opportunity to be foundations of your team their rookies and you’re going to give them chances to grow you’re not gonna cut them unless they fall flat on their face these are our defense of lineman for the foreseeable future on cost control contracts

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You are my fellow bills friend and brother and I stand by what I said whenever you take players in the first and second round you were going to give them every opportunity to be foundations of your team their rookies and you’re going to give them chances to grow you’re not gonna cut them unless they fall flat on their face these are our defense of lineman for the foreseeable future on cost control contracts

I agree and never said otherwise.

Of course you give your high draft choices every chance to succeed.   I'm just not assuming they will be successful pros or contribute much this year. ✌

Houston has had some very good seasons but has slowed down significantly.  His work against the run hasn't been good at all.  His signing looks like a move to add some depth in hopes of getting some rotational work out of him.  I don't picture him being a high snap count player anymore.  Seems like $4 m is a reasonable gamble to take.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Think whatever you like.  He is an effective pass rusher, smart football player qnd good locker room presence that could’ve helped our young kids. He would’ve led our team in sacks the last 4 years. He’s twice the player Addison is

Last 4 years -

9.5 sacks

9.0 sacks

11 sacks

8 sacks

It’s an ok signing.  Not the game changer some of you make it out to be.  He didn’t have any impact in the playoff game last season 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

a year in which its Lombardi or bust

You keep repeating this but I guarantee you that’s not how Beane and McD look at it.  Yes, the pieces are in place to be a legitimate Super Bowl team this season, but crazy things happen.  The Bills as an organization are now “playoffs or bust — every year.”  Lots of things need to happen to win a Super Bowl but I’m not wringing my hands over Beane not signing Houston and going with what he’s got instead.  Addison had too many snaps last season and it limited his effectiveness — that’s a fact.  He is also a “great locker room presence for our young guys” and a superb individual.  With less work he is likely to be as productive as Houston.  I love what Beane did for the DL this offseason.  I also think Baltimore is a top 5 organization in the league and this is a good signing for them.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s an ok signing.  Not the game changer some of you make it out to be.  He didn’t have any impact in the playoff game last season 

I didn’t say it was a game changing signing……but you can pretend that I did if you prefer.  Used to it

• Eyeroll 1