Training Camp practice 7/31 - open to fans at Highmark Stadium

Matthew Fairburn Athletic artcle

Offensive line notes

With Dion Dawkins still on the COVID-19 list, Bobby Hart spent a lot of time with the first-team offense at left tackle. The results were not great. Spencer Brown is another candidate for the backup left tackle job, and the Bills should hope that he’s able to win it. Brown showed off his power during one-on-one blocking drills. He’s far from a finished product, but his physical talent has been more noticeable with pads on. Meanwhile, Hart was beaten on multiple occasions while working with the first unit. Dawkins’ value to this line can’t be overstated.

I think there are a few hints that the Bills may be using stadium practices in front of fans to do some roster evaluation.

Ryan Bates, who is still here, filled in for Dawkins in a couple of games last season and looked capable.  I’m told Bobby Hart looked lost out there.  Spencer Brown is still learning.  (Fairburn doesn’t mention Bates in his article)

If the answer is “Bobby Hart”, I’m not sure what the question was

Jake Kumerow takes advantage

Kumerow had already gotten off to a hot start in training camp, but he was really able to make his mark with Diggs on the sideline. Kumerow worked in with the first team and caught multiple passes from Allen including an impressive touchdown grab. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has said Kumerow was Green Bay’s second-best receiver in camp last year, and Kumerow is bringing that same energy to camp in Buffalo. This is a tough wide receiver depth chart to project with as much talent as Buffalo has, but Kumerow has put himself in the conversation to make the 53-man roster. Maybe general manager Brandon Beane can call the Packers and see if they want to trade for Kumerow to appease their star quarterback.

“He’s like an all-around good receiver in every aspect: blocking, catching, running after the catch,” Jackson said. “He just sneaks up on you really. You don’t really see it off the rip, but when he’s out there running it’s like crazy. He can run, he can catch and he can do it all. His size (6-foot-4) is deceiving. You don’t think bigger guys are fast but he’s really fast. He gets up on you quick when you’re playing off and when you’re pressing, he can take that speed release and he’s gone.”

Bolded echoed some points guys have made here.  I wasn’t impressed by the video clips of his TD catch - he bobbled the catch and created an “air ball” he himself hauled in, but in live action that could easily become an INT.  OTOH it’s interesting what Jackson has to say about Kumerow’s speed.  I think the concern for Kumerow in GB was that he caught some passes then he kind of disappeared for the rest of the 2019 games he played in, indicating that once teams had some film on him they erased him.  But of course, a player can take that experience and figure out what they have to improve, and do it, which may be something Kumerow has done.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Last year they paid Fromm to stay away from the team.  This year they'll pay to make the team if he can.

I got no problem is they want to move on but I'd like to see him in the rest of camp and preseason before I make up my mind.

Sounds good to me...I’m actually curious to see if he can prove me wrong, myself...👍

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Sounds good to me...I’m actually curious to see if he can prove me wrong, myself...👍

Right.  As of now Fromm is a JAG to me and I don't yet see him having more value than Davis Webb.

He's got to prove it.

Sal Capaccio’s take on the practice.  

Similar Kumerow love

Similar comments to the effect of “Dawkins, we Miss You, Get Well Soon!”

With starting left tackle Dion Dawkins still on the Eeserve/COVID-19 list, free agent signee Bobby Hart received some reps at that spot with the first unit on Saturday. Hart was up and down, getting beaten badly on one play by defensive end A.J. Epenesa, who most likely would have had a sack on the quarterback if it were allowed.

The defense would have had another sack from Micah Hyde as well, after the safety snuck into the backfield to get to Allen.

On another throw, Allen hit wide receiver Jake Kumerow with a perfectly placed ball, just over cornerback Levi Wallace, who had very good coverage. The ball was in a perfect spot to not only allow only Kumerow to catch it, but then continue to run.

Speaking of Kumerow, despite all of the depth and competition the wide receiver group has, it’s looking like it’s going to be very hard to keep him off the final 53-man roster. He continues to get open and make plays.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/bills-practice-in-front-of-thousands-at-highmark-stadium

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Look at that reaction to Beasley!:wub:

Talk about a guy that really deserves it.

Ok, I'm biased: he's my fav Bill for variety of reasons. But slugging it out w a "broken/fractured" fibula puts him over the top.

I mean, the profound, no s**t display of Team Spirit...Kurt Cobain is diggin' it, wherever he may be.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Talk about a guy that really deserves it.

Ok, I'm biased: he's my fav Bill for variety of reasons. But slugging it out w a "broken/fractured" fibula puts him over the top.

I mean, the profound, no s**t display of Team Spirit...Kurt Cobain is diggin' it, wherever he may be.

And people actually thought there were fans/teammates who didn't want him on the team:lol: Maybe some posters on here but not in real life.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Giuseppe, ya worry to much, don’t ya think Josh and his coaches, mentors etc have addressed this? I mean really…. Chill, have a glass of Chianti Classico, some pecorino and a slice of bread, you’ll feel better 👍

Go Bills!!!

I wonder if they have. They never addressed the hard count issue after it was publicly discussed early in the season, so who knows.

29 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wonder if they have. They never addressed the hard count issue after it was publicly discussed early in the season, so who knows.

With Allen’s well known attention to detail, and his acceptance of self evaluation says to me, that this is a stone that has indeed been turned over, and examined for needed improvement, Josh has himself stated that the hero ball/ sugar high stuff needs to stop, so I for one am not particularly concerned that he would ignore this detail being it is so important to his end goals. 

• Like (+1) 1