Training Camp practice 7/31 - open to fans at Highmark Stadium

11 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Even if Fromme plays well, there’s just no need for a third QB on this roster this season— too much talent fighting for spots as it is. By the time the season starts, most teams have their backup dialed in to their playbook. Unless he absolutely lights it up in preseason, Fromme will be perfectly safe on the PS. If he gets an offer from another team, they can counter offer if they feel like it. 

Just to clarify if Fromm is on the PS we can’t counter if he gets an offer.  But I agree he or Webb is safe on the PS

15 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Just to clarify if Fromm is on the PS we can’t counter if he gets an offer.  But I agree he or Webb is safe on the PS

Where did you get this information that we can't counter?  As far as I know, it's incorrect - if another team makes an offer to your practice squad guy, you ARE allowed to match it (but the same restrictions about needing to put the player on the active roster for 3 weeks apply)

I think angst about PS'ing Fromm is another Fosteresque Bills Fan-ism.  Other teams passed on him at least 4x.  There's a new crop of promising QB from this year's draft. 

Here's his draft profile for reference:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-fromm/32004652-4f32-5139-dbcd-9c79c7f41e56
image.thumb.png.0c56517885e0448702d98506c5052c31.png

image.thumb.png.9bc0d0840ecba83db1d6c801da1b837e.png

For reference, bear in mind that Davis Webb was a 3rd round pick in 2017.

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

No practice today, right?

Correct

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where did you get this information?  As far as I know, it's incorrect - if another team makes an offer to your practice squad guy, you ARE allowed to match it (but the same restrictions about needing to put the player on the active roster for 3 weeks apply)

Correct

I see yeah I guess I’m wrong. But that is super atypical I have to imagine. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:24 AM, CEN-CAL17 said:

If they are just gonna clock the ball. What’s the point of running the FG team on to do it? Just have the offense that’s already on the field do it…..

Youre actually wasting time running the FG team on to do something the offense which is already on the field could do

Sometimes you can catch the other team off guard with too many men on the field or they blow a time out.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where did you get this information that we can't counter?  As far as I know, it's incorrect - if another team makes an offer to your practice squad guy, you ARE allowed to match it (but the same restrictions about needing to put the player on the active roster for 3 weeks apply)

I think angst about PS'ing Fromm is another Fosteresque Bills Fan-ism.  Other teams passed on him at least 4x.  There's a new crop of promising QB from this year's draft. 

Here's his draft profile for reference:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-fromm/32004652-4f32-5139-dbcd-9c79c7f41e56
image.thumb.png.0c56517885e0448702d98506c5052c31.png

image.thumb.png.9bc0d0840ecba83db1d6c801da1b837e.png

For reference, bear in mind that Davis Webb was a 3rd round pick in 2017.

Correct

I hated the Fromm pick since day 1...knew it was only a matter of time til he was out of the league...Just never seemed like NFL quality...

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Some of us older folk (and full disclosure... I'm 40) have already experienced that and are seeking Ws on the biggest stage in sports.

Whippersnapper

image.thumb.png.c499a900eead1098c54e329288c0dbd2.png

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I hated the Fromm pick since day 1...knew it was only a matter of time til he was out of the league...Just never seemed like NFL quality...

Well, most round 5 picks do have a short league lifetime....at any position.  The Bills picked him because by the end of the 5th round, he was sticking up on their draft board, and they knew they needed an upgrade at backup QB, nothing wrong with taking a shot for that in the 5th IMO.

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Who actually has the energy to hate a 5th round pick. Bit dramatic I think. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Who actually has the energy to hate a 5th round pick. Bit dramatic I think. 

No energy required...it was just a pick you always knew had absolutely zero chance of ever making the team...basically a throw away, just to say you took a developmental QB prospect...

18 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Maybe she heard the Bills had talked with both the Broncos and Browns about moving up and assumed it was for the #1 overall pick whereas I think it was for the #4 overall pick.

I’m sure the Bills inquired about both.  Bills: We are interested in moving up. What do you want for 1 or 4?

Browns: 1 isn’t for sale.  We want (a lot) for 4. 

Bills:  Okay. Let’s talk about 4……….

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whippersnapper

image.thumb.png.c499a900eead1098c54e329288c0dbd2.png

Well, most round 5 picks do have a short league lifetime....at any position.  The Bills picked him because by the end of the 5th round, he was sticking up on their draft board, and they knew they needed an upgrade at backup QB, nothing wrong with taking a shot for that in the 5th IMO.

Right. I’m just picturing somebody on their couch watching day 3 of the draft and then being sent into freaking orbit over a 5th round pick….. it’s the 5th friggin round. Calm down kids. 

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Look at his road and home splits and tell me it's not a problem. My god. I would love nothing more than for this issue to be put to bed. I just don't understand why you are laughing about it. I guess sports psychology is a hoax to you?

It's not a problem

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is an issue I always have trouble with, and I think a lot of fans are like me.  We get attached to players and their stories, like Fromm in this case, and we develop angst, as you say, as we look at the possibility that the Bills may lose him.  I think it's part of fans' excessive focus on talent.  The fact is that if the coaches and front office are evaluating talent properly, a guy on the 53-man bubble isn't ever likely to make or break your season.  Sure, there's always the story about some guy who came off the practice squad and really lit it up, but those stories are few and far between, and usually they guy flashes and disappears.   Who was that safety who had two INTs for the Bills in one game late in the season?  Someone will remember his name - I don't.  

Yes, the GM and HC are looking for the best talent they can find, but the reality of how teams are built is that they're looking for a core group of talent, and they will plug in good athletes with the right attitude to cover the rest of the lineup spots.  Those good athletes are coming and going all the time, and every once in a while one of them climbs into the core group, like Milano did.  Every once in a while one of those good athletes gets cut or traded and develops into a core player somewhere else, like Teller did.  

I've found myself finally not worrying so much about those guys.  The GM is going to do the best he can making those decisions, and Beane has had a pretty good track record.  So, when I see a thread about whether the Bills maybe should keep Kumerow, I might read it to learn something about Kumerow, but I don't feel like what happens to Kumerow is a life-and-death question.  Kumerow has already demonstrated in the NFL that he isn't Stefon Diggs, so he's just another plug-and-player who may have a role in the fall, or he may not. 

As for Fromm, I think he's a guy who will grow into a better version of Barkley.   He's a proven winner, he is high character, and as he continues to learn, he'll probably be a big asset in the QB room.  He's a potential coach.  He may already recognize that his isn't starter material, so he may not be anxious to leave.   He's the kind of guy who, in another couple of years, will be able to come in when the starter goes down, execute the offense and, most importantly, play mistake-free football.  He's not going to turn the ball over, he's not going freak out on the field.  So, I could see a role for him longer-term, because a dream-backup like Trubisky simply isn't a realistic possibility as a three- to five-year solution at backup.  

But I'm not getting attached to Fromm.   Those guys come and go all the time.   In fact, if the Bills are looking for a long-term backup who's going to be supportive of Allen in the long-term, Fromm has competition for that spot from Webb.  As between Fromm and Webb, the one who has the best working relationship, maybe the closest relationship off the field, with Allen is the guy the Bills will want to hold on to.  

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

No energy required...it was just a pick you always knew had absolutely zero chance of ever making the team...basically a throw away, just to say you took a developmental QB prospect...

Exactly.  It was the same as picking a guy like Brady that deep in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2