Bills retooled defense making big impression already in camp

Bills retooled defense making big impression already in camp

JOHN WAWROW
https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-retooled-defense-making-big-200256542.html

The Bills’ emphasis on improving their defensive front is showing early signs of promise. Aside from the two rookies, Buffalo also signed 6--6 defensive end Efa Obada, a graduate of the NFL’s International Pathway Program, who had a career-best 5 1/2 sacks during his third season with Carolina last year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

CB Tre’Davious White, known for his fictional hockey goalie academy, was reminded how the NHL Buffalo Sabres are in need of goaltending after losing starter Linus Ullmark to free agency this week. “I've been getting a lot of stuff about it. I talked to Mr. Terry today and told him he could sign me to a two-way contract,” White said, referring to Bills owner Terry Pegula, who also owns the Sabres.

• Haha (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It's really impossible to get an idea of how good linemen are until you get real reps in pads. The rookies will get plenty of preseason snaps that will give a better indication of their progress.

Exactly.  These type of articles being written at this point are just feel good stories.  We will find out how much the defense has improved when it really counts

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills D has to get meaner and tougher and win those one on one match ups to really mess plays up!

This year, I hope, all these defensive coaches we have, four former DC's (at least) in our DL, LB, DC, and HC and perhaps our secondary coach was a DC before as well? All these linemen, if they can just play all out every play and then rotate like they're supposed to....With all these coaches and all these old players, they should really help our young DL (Tremaine, Ed, AJ, Groot And Boogie) advance their games so that by November they can be useful young bucks.

(But, then you just have to wonder if the rookies are strong enough, LOL. I remember some young Bill talking about Dareus when Dareus was teally good and he said he could do what Dareus could if he was massively strong like Dareus. So, you hav to born with that frame that allows you to get unusually strong and then you have to put in all the massive hours working it.... I sure hope Groot And Basham were captains on the weight lifting teams at their respective colleges.

The Offense and Defense cannot be be clicking simultaneously when going against each other. By all other accounts, it is the Offense that has been clicking with JA not missing a beat. 

That said, with respect to individual players or position groups, I am glad the Defensive Line is holding its own even without Jerry Hughes. Rousseau, Basham and Obada all flashing. Would like to hear more about how Epenesa / Oliver are doing (other than ripping people's helmets off).

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

The Bills D has to get meaner and tougher and win those one on one match ups to really mess plays up!

This year, I hope, all these defensive coaches we have, four former DC's (at least) in our DL, LB, DC, and HC and perhaps our secondary coach was a DC before as well? All these linemen, if they can just play all out every play and then rotate like they're supposed to....With all these coaches and all these old players, they should really help our young DL (Tremaine, Ed, AJ, Groot And Boogie) advance their games so that by November they can be useful young bucks.

(But, then you just have to wonder if the rookies are strong enough, LOL. I remember some young Bill talking about Dareus when Dareus was teally good and he said he could do what Dareus could if he was massively strong like Dareus. So, you hav to born with that frame that allows you to get unusually strong and then you have to put in all the massive hours working it.... I sure hope Groot And Basham were captains on the weight lifting teams at their respective colleges.

I'm watching the Chefs-Bills game, the AFC Championship and it is very clear our WRs are severely beat up, no longer able to get open, JB nothing like his former self the year before. 

Im telling you, we need impact players. We need a lot of them. On both sides of the ball. On offense, it is clear, we need our weapons to get open. (We also need refs to call holding according to the rule book.)

On defense it is not as clear but our zone defense was way too soft. We had zero awareness of where Kelce was and man, that is terrible! We looked poorly coached. We have to lean on KC's two big play makers and it looked like we did the opposite.

Having said all that, I'll tell you, our DL has to help our coverage. If Jerry and Addison don't play better playing less. If we drafted like ***** getting AJ, Boogie and Groot, we'll never beat the chefs....They are sooooo much more than Mahomes. They beat us on both lines. They out-skilled us, they beat us everywhere.

We can beat them, but it is going to take a lot of work. And we had better of drafted well....Very well.

If we have this O healthy: a better OL than last year with improvement interiorly. A tougher OL. 

We go four-wide with these healthy receivers.... Diggs, Sanders, Beasley and Davis.

Singletary the lone back....Hopefully he plays with more confidence than last year, more understanding of the O. More plays called to match his skills. Looking at the game, maybe we need the rookie, Stevenson to really stretch the D?

IDK? Gotta have true weapons. Gotta have them healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I thought the defense was getting shredded by the offense yesterday? Or is this specific to a few nice pass rushing plays?

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It's really impossible to get an idea of how good linemen are until you get real reps in pads. The rookies will get plenty of preseason snaps that will give a better indication of their progress.

granted no one is always right with their opinions but 

john w isn’t just some slouch pretending to be journalist.  

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"The most important addition could well be the return of run-stuffing defensive tackle Star Lotulelei"

tenor.gif

Equating yourself to Schrute on this issue? 

NIce. You've indeed missed the point on it regularly. Getting Lotulelei back does indeed appear to be important.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I'm watching the Chefs-Bills game, the AFC Championship and it is very clear our WRs are severely beat up, no longer able to get open, JB nothing like his former self the year before. 

Im telling you, we need impact players. We need a lot of them. On both sides of the ball. On offense, it is clear, we need our weapons to get open. (We also need refs to call holding according to the rule book.)

On defense it is not as clear but our zone defense was way too soft. We had zero awareness of where Kelce was and man, that is terrible! We looked poorly coached. We have to lean on KC's two big play makers and it looked like we did the opposite.

Having said all that, I'll tell you, our DL has to help our coverage. If Jerry and Addison don't play better playing less. If we drafted like ***** getting AJ, Boogie and Groot, we'll never beat the chefs....They are sooooo much more than Mahomes. They beat us on both lines. They out-skilled us, they beat us everywhere.

We can beat them, but it is going to take a lot of work. And we had better of drafted well....Very well.

If we have this O healthy: a better OL than last year with improvement interiorly. A tougher OL. 

We go four-wide with these healthy receivers.... Diggs, Sanders, Beasley and Davis.

Singletary the lone back....Hopefully he plays with more confidence than last year, more understanding of the O. More plays called to match his skills. Looking at the game, maybe we need the rookie, Stevenson to really stretch the D?

IDK? Gotta have true weapons. Gotta have them healthy.

I still haven’t been able to watch it..

Bear in mind we were a top 3 defense in 18 and 19.  Those were some good teams we opposed.  Last year ok 14th, but our offense finally came together.

I know it’s a fluff piece, but Beane has delivered on bringing in talent to compete.  We all have our favorite hopefuls, but they will come together. I don’t see our offense going backwards so a top 2-3 offense coupled with a 6-9 ranked defense will be what’s needed to win in February.  I could see us up at 6-7th if things come together.

13-14 wins brothers!

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I still haven’t been able to watch it..

I recommend you don't (LOL) you'll be calling for Frazier's Head (again). It's bad, we were almost completely outclassed. So strange to see after we kicked do many other teams asses. The good news is of course that All our skill weapons were injured. So, on offense there is clear hope if we can stay healthy.

Our special teams played well so that's OK.

Where we're really looking for answers is defense. Our pass rush was non-existent. Our coverage was soft and we had no idea where KC's two big weapons were. Like we played complete straight zone giving no special attention to The big two.

In man, it was just as bad. So, Leslie.....  LOL!    I have no idea how he plans to slow them down. I guess we have to break out the Tampa film. (I didn't watch the SB as I hate both teams, LOL, I almost always do.... I remember rooting for Cincinnati vs. SF and not hating either team. That was the last one I think? No, I liked SF vs. KC. I love defensive based teams..  I don't understand how we can get better in the back seven with the same exact guys but I guess they can improve. Especially with a better front four.... Groot is sooooo raw though. If he has a good rookie year we probably have something special as he is as raw as they come. Maybe Star, Obada, AJ And Boogie turn around the front four? You could add Harry to that list as he enters year two of his rebuilt knee... so, it's possible they can be a lot better.....I sure hope Obada makes it!

It will definitely be a great season when we are playing anyone but KC or Tampa....

If we beat them too it'll be super.

Go Bills!

22 hours ago, Limeaid said:

CB Tre’Davious White, known for his fictional hockey goalie academy, was reminded how the NHL Buffalo Sabres are in need of goaltending after losing starter Linus Ullmark to free agency this week. “I've been getting a lot of stuff about it. I talked to Mr. Terry today and told him he could sign me to a two-way contract,” White said, referring to Bills owner Terry Pegula, who also owns the Sabres.

This guy gets me. Love the sense of humor.