Anything you look back on fondly that hasn’t aged well?

Another Fan

The entire Star Wars world.

Go back and watch the first 3 movies; they are not particularly good movies.  I was obsessed with them as a kid back in the '70s.  

Growing up I thought the coolest character from the Star Wars world, bar none, was Boba Fett.

Go back and look at his costume; it looks like something kids made out of pajamas in the garage in about an hour, using whatever stuff they could find in the garage.  It's ridiculously stupid looking to me now.  

Boba, like Star Wars itself, has not held up well.

Most of the special effects (most) have stood up pretty well, however.  But the acting, writing, plot line, it's pretty below average stuff.

What is funny is that this has not stopped the franchise from being pretty much the most successful film franchise of all time, and it made George Lucas a billionaire 3 times over.  

So there's that!  

Star-Wars-1313.jpg?resize=768,432

On 7/31/2021 at 12:11 PM, Just Jack said:

Tori Amos

Then...

YDu3UXyF_400x400.jpg

Now

Tori-Amos-GettyImages-858061894-696x442.jpg

I thought the same thing when I recently saw a photo of Sinead O'Connor.

Petrusich-Sinead-OConnor.jpg

sinead-share.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/3/2021 at 7:53 PM, gomper said:

Professional Wrestling.  I was spoiled back the day. Wrestlers with great mic work who could really sell and well thought out story arcs. I watched WWE a few weeks ago.  I lasted 8 minutes.  Horrible. 

As a kid, Buffalo TV was great on Saturdays.  Mid-Atlantic at Noon on 29. Maple Leaf on 11 at 1. WWF at Midnight.  Plus, MSG. Philly and Cap Center house shows on International Cable 10.

Ah. memories. 

Concur.  The actors and actresses today don't "buy in" to their characters like the "old timers" did because they they all want to be the Rock and Cena with dreams of mainstream movies and appeal.  Can't get too weird, too crazy.  

I really blame Hulk Hogan for that.  Remember in the 90s when UPN essentially took Weird Al's UHF and made it a reality and started pumping out random shows? 

I think they hit it big with Star Trek TNG, but Hulk Hogan had a dumb show on there where he literally rode around in an invisible speedboat.  Hahaha.  

50 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Candy cigarettes.  There were the chalky ones with the one end dyed red, and then there were the good kind made of gum.  Those had the powder stuff inside the wrapper so it kinda looked like smoke was coming out.  Ahhh...those were the days.

Those were the best!

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'll go the other direction. The Three Stooges are timeless. As good today as the original. Watched a few episodes the other day and still laughed.

100%.

So is Looney Toons. I introduced my kids to Bugs and company when they were growing up and they laughed as much as I did as a kid.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Candy cigarettes.  There were the chalky ones with the one end dyed red, and then there were the good kind made of gum.  Those had the powder stuff inside the wrapper so it kinda looked like smoke was coming out.  Ahhh...those were the days.

just had a debate with a friend a few days ago about which candy cigarettes were better. I only liked the gum ones, which I would puff. He swears by the candy/chalk ones. In fact, he said he still buys the chalk ones. I always thought those were meh.  

On 8/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'll go the other direction. The Three Stooges are timeless. As good today as the original. Watched a few episodes the other day and still laughed.

Totally agree, and yet... females still don't "get it".

• Agree 1

Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit

They had some good aggressive songs I liked as an angry teen.  But I’d never listen to them even for nostalgia purposes 

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

PEZ was a favorite of mine.  Haven’t seen that in ages 

On 8/9/2021 at 7:24 AM, Another Fan said:

PEZ was a favorite of mine.  Haven’t seen that in ages 

I saw a PEZ display at Big Lots last week, hadn't seen them in a long time either. They had a whole section of old time candy actually, pretty cool. Cracker Barrel might have them too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:18 PM, LeGOATski said:

I'd go

1a. PJ

1b. AiC

3. Nirvana

4. STP

I believe Nirvana belongs in a category by itself. IMO, their music doesn't fit the emotive style of mid-to-late 90s bands. Nirvana is like proto-Rage Against the Machine, early Sleater-Kinney, with rock and punk roots. I feel the others are more pop-influenced. 

On 7/31/2021 at 9:34 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

AIC >Nirvana.  Lane Staley was an amazing singer. I've said it before, I'll take AIC and STP over Nirvana and Pearl Jam 7 days a week.

They (and Soundgarden) are all very different bands lumped into the same "genre," which I've always thought was irresponsible.

None of these bands sound anything like each other.  Nearly everything about each band is different.

The one thing, in my opinion, that they have in common .... all loaded with talent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.